View Full Version : Wheelie Machine???

Rico400
04-13-2005, 04:28 PM
I just got my 400ex( im also a new rider) and everyone tells me the 400ex is the easist thing in the world to wheelie with. im confused on how to actually do a wheelie. do i just get it into a high gear and lean back? sorry for acting like some noob, but i guess u could call me that since ive only been out riding on my bike a few times.

Summit79
04-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Lean back and give it gas. I'd recommend having a knee on the seat for the first few.

Rico400
04-13-2005, 04:41 PM
in any gear? or the higher gears?

Summit79
04-13-2005, 04:47 PM
Very slow in first till you find out where the apex is.

Rico400
04-13-2005, 04:52 PM
alright thxx for the help man. soon as i get my dirt tires back on imma go try and get it. :blah:

BLAZE1
04-13-2005, 04:55 PM
There are basically two kinds of wheelies.
Power Wheelie- These are usually done in low gears (1st or 2nd)and you basically use the power of the engine to pull the bike up. These are a little harder to control because once you get to the balancing point watch out, don't over do it or you will flip over rather easy.
Balance wheelies(throttle controlled)- These are done in a higher gear (3rd-5th)
Either slip the clutch and give it gas, then dump it . Or if your bike is a power monster you maybe able to roll off the gas, compress the front end, then roll on the throttle just as the suspension starts to extend. (kind of hard to explain, just try rolling from half throttle to no throttle then back to half or three quarters throttle) Once the front end is off the ground with this type of wheelie it is all about throttle control!
Hope this helps!

Oh yeah one more thing: PRACTICE!PRCTICE!PRACTICE!

Pa400exracer
04-13-2005, 05:59 PM
yup , practice is all it takes also try starting out by putting your feet in the grab bar in like 2nd? and ride till you get in an alright power curve then hit the gas pretty good and it oughta stand up

bigvforcer
04-13-2005, 06:35 PM
I wouldn't recommend putting your feet on the grab bar. or kneeling on the seat. Be smart and stay planted on the seat and just try to clutch the front end up. Give it some gas in first gear and dump the clutch. When the front end comes up use the throttle to keep the bike high or let it come back down. If you go slow first and you hit the grab bar it won't hurt like to will iff you come off standing on the grab bar at higher speeds.

It really is simple. I can start at a dead stop and ride wheelies through all five gears until I run out of gear and then I have to set it down. Once you learn the balance point it becomes really easy and you can use any technique to clear obstacles on the trails too

Pa400exracer
04-13-2005, 08:06 PM
yea . i know what you mean about not using the grab bar or anything to ride wheelies , but last time i clutched it in 3rd and was ridina wheelie i flipped and messed my arm up really bad lol , and being htat im like 6'3" or so its pretty easy for me to jump off when im usin the grab bar

04'400ex'er
04-13-2005, 08:46 PM
no need to use the clutch on the 400ex in 1st or 2nd to do a wheelie. It has so much torque that a stab of the throttle is either gonna break the rear tires loose on gravel or such, or the bike will stand straight up. 400ex 101 there.

Eddiesanders250
04-13-2005, 09:21 PM
ya 2nd on the 400. if your at the coast get to the peak of a whoop and give it a little gas. where do you live in oregon?

Rico400
04-13-2005, 09:45 PM
thxx for all the info guys. what does it mean when u say "dump" the clutch? i hear that alot

Eddiesanders250, I live in Salem

400exrider26
04-14-2005, 04:06 AM
It means you pop the clutch or let go of it after you have already had it pulled in with the throttle revved- It will take off or pull a wheelie. You dont want to dump it to hard though in really low gears or you will flip.

HiZ
04-14-2005, 08:32 AM
Ok One foot in the Rear bar and one on your rear brake!
Rev it up and snap the clutch
While doing this, kind of pull back
the front will rise with ease.
as you get more practice you will start to need th rear brake to keep it in the balance point.
Do not worry about "looping it" because the bar will save you everytime. Mostly!?!

and check out a site that knows the tricks of the trade.

http://www.stuntlife.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41

400exrider0004
04-19-2005, 05:13 PM
Yea. I am 5'5 and weigh about 115lbs. In second i have to blip the throttle and pull up and it does a wheelie. You will get the hang of it though. Practice a lot!

muddy400EX
04-19-2005, 05:21 PM
start out at a dead stop, and pop the clutch in first. then, once you get used to it you can shift, i can go from 1st to 4th in the air but cant find a place with enough room for 5th yet:ermm:

Jared Hamilton
04-20-2005, 07:38 PM
if u set it up on the grab bar was foot break and it will drop u back down

troutman561
04-20-2005, 08:57 PM
dont pop the clutch, there is no need for that, you'll just end up prematurly replacing it. all u need to do is stand up, lean back alittle and hit the gas and pull up on the handle bars, this will get u up.. make sure u use the rear break if u go back to far. like they said its just practice, iv only been riding for a few months and i can hold a wheely goin slow for a measured distance of a quarter mile before, im sure father if i tryed, but its easy, it will take awhile, but once u find the balance point youll be wheeling with no problem at all, 1st and 2nd are good practicing gears, 3rd-5th are alittle tougher and i wouldnt sugggest untill u have the lower ones down, had some nasty tail bone injuries tryin to go to fast before i had the skill to