PDA

View Full Version : Idle Adjustment Help Needed...

pork917
04-13-2005, 04:00 PM
Hey heres the deal, when I start my quad, choke on or off it does not idle right. If i do not hold the throttle for like a minute or two it dies out. I want to adjust it and have access to the service manual from the hrca website. Its not really detailed. Ive checked search and just want more info.

I am hoping if someone has an actual picture of where the actual idle adjustment is. I saw two things to turn one gold one silver. The other is the air/fuel screw. Which is which. And any info on exactly how to get it right. Yea im an atv newbie but like always appreciate the help!

bloodhound400
04-13-2005, 04:11 PM
if this is for your 05 400 adjusting the idle isnt going to help, the manual says to keep it running with the throttle till it gets warm enough to run on its own & it usually takes mine about a minute or so then its fine i changed my pilot jet from a 38 to 45 & 2 turns out on the fuel mix screw from the seated position and it helped alot. i hope this helps.

schootar
04-13-2005, 05:09 PM
I'd put a bigger pilot jet in also. I put a 42 in my EX and it made a big difference in cold starts. Keep in mind, EX's are cold-blooded.

zephead400ex
04-14-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by schootar
I'd put a bigger pilot jet in also. I put a 42 in my EX and it made a big difference in cold starts. Keep in mind, EX's are cold-blooded.

I agree. Before changing the pilot, it was a complete b*tch to start...now she's just a b*tch!:D

Normally, you will have to give it a little throttle to keep it running. Completely normal. But don't go WOT with a cold engine!

Chino886
04-14-2005, 01:55 PM
I agree, the 400 EX is a cold blooded B*tch. I have a 2002. I am getting ready to change the jetting though, slow and main.

cals400ex
04-14-2005, 11:02 PM
the idle adjustment is the silver screw. when sitting on the bike it sits to the left side. you can adjust it with your hand or with a flat blade.