PDA

View Full Version : Are Works shocks that bad?

yamaha1470
05-14-2002, 05:51 PM
Hey I am looking into getting some shocks. I want to get the Works tripple rates with rezzies. Are they a lot worse than like elka, pep, axis, etc... If they wont be able to handle motocross I will just go for a different brand. Do you need bigger a arms for the tripple rates? Also would dual rate elkas be as good as tripple rate works. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

05-14-2002, 06:38 PM
i just got works triple rates wit rezzies for my 400ex and they improved eveyr part of the machine it lands so nice and doesnt bottom it corners a ton better as well, i think a professional level rider or someone who jumped really big is the only ones who can appreciate elka...pep ..etc

cdalejef
05-14-2002, 06:45 PM
Works shock are not bad at all! They are way better than stock but the just aren't as good as Elka, Axis, PEP, TCS and Ohlins. If you are an amature racer or trail rider on a budget, I would highly recommend them!

05-15-2002, 07:19 AM
Mine are holding up pretty good,,2nd year racing MX on them and they still have a plush ride,,and I do hit pretty decent size jumps on them...so the answer to your question is,,,,No works shocks aren't that bad..:cool:

ChadEXer
05-15-2002, 07:43 AM
My Works shocks have been sitting in my living room floor for 2 months and they still look good:D :(

Zero Z400
05-15-2002, 08:05 AM
Why don't people talk about TCS or Ohlins? The Ohlins are on the C-dales, Steve Beilmans Crapturd and the new gas gas 300/400 quads. I don't see TCS to often either. And whenver Custom Axis is mentioned the answer is their to expensive, and I agree. But they don't seem to have any problems ... I havn't heard any bad stories abouts works too. Seem like good shocks to me, wish i had the money to get some on my 90!

Later

Zingnut
05-15-2002, 08:46 AM
I love mine and I bought mine after one good year of GNCC racing on them. They are rebuilt and are working great and only paid $210 for them. They needed just a few things like new cross overs (go betweens) and one new middle spring (40 dollars total) They were cheap and allow me to rip in the trails and still keep it easily under control. I absolutely love them and the guy I bought them from bought Axis for his and I still can keep up under the same conditions as his axis, just he is a much better rider. I feel for my application (recreational XC rider) there is nothing better for the price.

sly400ex
05-15-2002, 09:09 AM
I love my works shocks, they are a HUGE improvement over stock!

Mitch400EX
05-15-2002, 12:37 PM
I've got works tripple rates w/cans on the front of my quad, they're awesome. I've come down from 10-15 feet in the air on them and they didn't bottom. They soak up the stutter bumps pretty well also. Whatever you do make sure you don't get works w/o cans, I used to have those, they're garbage.

beerock
05-15-2002, 12:50 PM
I beat the **** out of my works and they are still working great.

papaw
05-15-2002, 02:12 PM
i just got my trip;es w/rezzies and they are not bad at all.the harder you ride them the smoother they are.but they do make a noise when topped out.rico do all the works do this?

05-15-2002, 02:24 PM
Yes you will hear a clank or clunk when lifting the quad up off the ground.

I've really been impressed with my works until I got my new lower SPHERICAL HEIM BEARINGS for it,,which is not what they put in there stock....$80 for 2 lower steel bushings.:( OUCH after about a year and a half of abuse they had alot of play in them..I bought them straight from works but the guy said they won't need replaced again for along time compared to the plastic ones they use from the factory. I hope this doesn't discourage you other works shocks owners..just thought I'd give ya a heads up.

ChadEXer
05-15-2002, 02:42 PM
Well stop jumping so damned high Rico:D

400exBro
05-16-2002, 03:57 PM
Well worth it, i hit jumps to flat land landings and they don't bottom out like the stockers and they don't have the same feeling when you land on the stockers, like you get puched down as well,,, ya know what i mean, and with the rezzies they last forever they will not fade and got all soft on ya, in the whoops i am able to go faster and turn faster as well.
Defintly worth the money!!!!!!!!!!!
Bro
Also i got the thread preload which is good for trail riding as well so you can soften em up or mx harden em, i am going to try to get close to 0 preload on them where the screw is all the way up or close to it

Dave400ex
05-16-2002, 04:16 PM
At the Local Track last night everybody had Works Shocks. They do the Job for little Tracks, but for Red Bud I would want something better.

DiceMan400
05-17-2002, 04:20 PM
Works are good....... I had them before I got my Ohlins....... I love my Ohlins and think they are way better than works and Elkas...... I think the elkas are way over rated...... People dont talk about Ohlins because not many people run them....... They are a bit expensive but if you get high end Ohlins they are worth every penny and if you ride a quad with Ohlins you will be selling your work and elkas to get a set....... So there it is I spoke about Ohlins.....

400exBro
05-17-2002, 05:10 PM
Ohlins don't pffer tripe rate springs do they??? from what i have seen is all just one single stage..
the triple rate springs are well worth the money, in small bumps and small jumps they performe awsome, i feel that the single rate just doesn't cut it !!!!
Bro

cdalejef
05-17-2002, 06:08 PM
Ohlins has just recently released new design shocks that are supposed to be alot better than the old out of date single spring shocks they used to sell.
As far as Elka's being over rated, I don't think so. I have been racing pro GNCC since 92 and they are one of the best shock that I have ever run over the years! The only ones that I have used that compare to the Elka's are Axis. I have never owned PEP so I can't speak for them. This is just my opinion!

Dave400ex
05-17-2002, 09:42 PM
The Elka`s may be a little Over Rated, but a lot of New Products are. That`s how they Sell their Parts. Some GNCC Racers run Ohlins, but not many Guys do. It`s PEP or Axis. I can`t Wait to get some Shocks.

400exBro
05-18-2002, 07:47 AM
I feel that Elka is going through the same problem that WB was going through the begning of this year. They got a lot of raves and good words past on by mags etc.. and so many people out their need the best so they go out and buy elkas, while elka is being over load with all their orders the can't keep up causing them to do sloppy jobs like WB did on their e-seris pipe. And you probably wait close to 6 weeks anyways for the elkas to show up at your hose + you end up paying costumens(sp?) clearing to get them to the usa. and that isn't cheap i got charge 100$ + the shipping and hanling fees on ups shipping from Michigan on my work shocks.
Now if you buy peps zps warrior man or anyone else you get them stright from USA that means no costems(sp?) and you wait 6 weeks or so for them any way + pep is not having any problems with their shocks so you don't need to send them back after you have hit one jump so they last a lot longer.
In the long run you are paying the same money for a pair of pep zps then the elkas ssd with comp adj rebound etc... + with pep you get great costumer service + they don't blow seals or spacers aren't put up side down.
I am not flamming here so don't bust my balls i am justing help some people out who can't decide between pep and elkas.
Personly i bought my works because i have heard good thingsa about them and i feel that they are made with great quilty for the price i paid and i don't racer over a class so i am good to go, they hold up great on 40 footers and over acording to Rico.
So in away i woulkd rather spend my money on a pair of zps then elkas thats is if i had that kind of money!!!!!!!!!!!
Just my 0.2
Bro

Dave400ex
05-18-2002, 10:31 AM
That was a Great Post 400exBro. I agree with you. PEP hs been around and knows the Valving Setups. They get all kinds of Feedback from Guys that Ride in different terrian so they set the Shocks up Great. I would rather Save a Year for the PEP ZPS then get some Elka`s that I might have to Send back a lot of Times. I want my $700 + Shocks to be right the First Time, and going with PEP I know they will be.

DiceMan400
05-21-2002, 05:27 PM
I have duel rate Ohlins....... I can upgrade to triple rates at $70 a shock....... Dont get me wrong Elkas are great shocks especialy the high end ones....... Just a little over rated...... Look at it this way, Any aftermarket shock makes the stock shocks look bad...... So anything you get will make you happy.....