PDA

View Full Version : motor is making a funny noise

quad9
04-13-2005, 05:57 AM
it sounds like something is rubbing, or draging on the left side. i took the stator off and cant find anything wrong. the motor runs good, and turns over just fine with no problem. could it be the bearing on the ballancer? any ideas would be great!!
thanks

bighaas12
04-18-2005, 07:11 PM
I reciently had a noise similar to yours with one of my 250r's. Sounded like a buzzing or rubbing sound when the bike was in neutral, or when the bike was at a slow speed (after that too much engine noise). Turned out that 4th gear was toast. The sound was metal flakes getting caught in the roller bearings in the clutch basket. Pain in the butt to spilt the cases but it was inevitable. The only thing on the left side of the bike is the stator assembly. There isnt much to make noise there, some more information on the sound would be a great help. Does the sound increase in pitch or volume with gear change? Try this...... accelerate to a deceint speed 15 or 20 then shut off the engine. Listen for the noise and downshift. see if the noise gets louder or picks up pace. it might be linked to the transmission or the clutch basket spinning inside. But without further information i cant tell much. Hope this helps.......

quad9
04-18-2005, 07:39 PM
i figured it out....bad crank bearing on the left side.:mad:

devilwitoutacaz
04-19-2005, 05:19 PM
mine was also making a ticking noise......I tore the whole motor down to find out that all it was .....was the stator clicking as the magnet on the flywheel crossed the stator windings.......took some work to find out.....but a very cheap fix.......this was actually very loud and sounded like a bad lower end.

quad9
04-19-2005, 05:32 PM
how did you fix it?

devilwitoutacaz
04-20-2005, 06:08 AM
pulled the flywheel off and cleaned the inside of it with some steel wool.

honda350r
04-20-2005, 12:50 PM
Hey devil is that your name on Ebay too ??