PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY........the time has come

400exrules
04-12-2005, 08:16 PM
HAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!i can hardly sit still im so insanely happy right now. For 4+ years ive been dreaming of owning a quad, preferably a 400ex.......and ive been workin my tail off for awhile now, and today.........i have gladly become a happy owner of a 1999 400ex :devil: :D :D . yall can laugh if u want but i promise you, for the past, atleast 4 years, EVERY day i have thought about ownin a quad. And its finally happened. I payer $2750 cash for it, it has holeshot rear tires(brand new), hmf full exhaust, renthal bars, ac front bumper, k&n filter, and a dyno jet. the guy i bought it from, had it for a year, and he took GREAT shape of it, and he bought from like a 60 y/o man who never even rode it.

Im so happy right now i could sh^t my pants, ive been waitin for this day for so long. Some of u are probably like, ''ooh wow he got a quad, yippee...'', but i dont care cuz im so excited right now, especially since i paid for every single little penny of it.So now i feel like im trully part of this forum since i own a 400ex now. I cant wait to go ridin with all my friends.

but i have a few questions, how the hell do u use the parkin brake? i know this sounds stupid, but i was out their messin with it and i cant figure it out.
AND, when u have it in gear, should it roll any? because it would roll in nuetral while the engine was off, and it still rolled when i shifted down to first?
EDIT: mmk just walked out to the garage and pushed it and it wouldnt move while in gear, so nevermind question 2

thanks!!!!!!!!!:devil:

DeerNuts
04-12-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules

i have a few questions, how the hell do u use the parkin brake? i know this sounds stupid, but i was out their messin with it and i cant figure it out.
AND, wh

You need to rip that sumbitc* off. It will not work ever.

Congratulations on getting the bike man. It seems to me you paid a bit too much for it, but if it is hardly used like you said then you got an excellent deal.

Its a sweet feeling when you bought something you paid for by yourself, isnt it?

kevo081
04-12-2005, 08:30 PM
congratulations on gettting yur own quad man! but why did it take 4 years. you only paid 3 grand for it ... i made that in 5 months

TheFontMaster
04-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by kevo081
congratulations on gettting yur own quad man! but why did it take 4 years. you only paid 3 grand for it ... i made that in 5 months

My best gues would be he's only in highschool, and hasn't had a job, or just recently got one. Before I got my job it took me almost a full year to save up the 1500 dollars for my 300ex. And boy was I happy that first day I got it. There is no feeling like buying your first quad.

knighttime
04-12-2005, 08:48 PM
have fun and be safe on the 400ex!!!:cool:

400exrules
04-12-2005, 08:51 PM
yeah, true........its a great feeling knowing i paid for it all by myself. and yes, im in highschool and i just recently got a job about 5 months ago and everysingle one of my checks have gone straight into my savings account. but before then, i was cuttin yards, workin with my dad when he needed help, just doin odd jobs, etc. to make money.

and i wasnt expectin it since everyone always talks bad about the 400ex, sayin its slow and all this sh^t. but all ive rode is a 300ex and ute's up until today, and omg it felt like a damn rocket when i first got on the 400ex, no joke, im sure ive just gotta get used to it but it scared the sh^t outta me LMFAO

im not kiddin, maybe its just me but 2nd gear felt like a utility full speed pinned

LeGaCyGiAnT124
04-12-2005, 08:54 PM
congradulations:) you will love your 400. as long as u change the oil and oil filters and the basic mateniance it can last you for a long time. get some pics if its possible also:D

400exrules
04-12-2005, 09:01 PM
yah all i have is my picture phone, i took some pics, could someone tell me how to get them on here? i dont know how to send them to my computer or wutever.

bad01300ex
04-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Congratulations man, i know youll love it, im savin my ***** off right now for my YFZ, almost got enough, so i know how you feel, anyways have fun on it!

SGA
04-12-2005, 09:57 PM
Congrats man!:)

Sportrax10
04-12-2005, 10:42 PM
Congrats on the new quad... :macho

Definately get rid of the parking brake, it will just eat through your pads...

:macho

Disaster
04-12-2005, 11:43 PM
Congrats on the 400 someday i hope to be as happy as u hopefully this summer either a bike or quad.

honduh440
04-13-2005, 01:20 AM
congrats take care of that honda and it will take care of you

the parking brake may have a block off kit because it is not hard to figure out. my old 400ex would roll forword in first gear with it turned off too im not real sure why it does that but its alright

I-7
04-13-2005, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by honduh440
congrats take care of that honda and it will take care of you

the parking brake may have a block off kit because it is not hard to figure out. my old 400ex would roll forword in first gear with it turned off too im not real sure why it does that but its alright

Congrats man! I know the feeling. Keep it locked up and have fun with it!

wallaby_kid
04-13-2005, 08:31 AM
yeah i really agree with the last one man, teh other month my father had his bike nicked but tbh with u, whatever u do they will probably get it if they want it, so just get a shotgun or sumit or one of those really nasty bears or lions, thatll do the trick :D :blah: adn congrats on the quad, keep safe buddy.

jesshamner
04-13-2005, 09:25 AM
Congrats! I can't believe that this thread hasn't had any haters on it yet. Maybe we can actually have a good thread without people coming in and starting stuff. Have fun on it and be safe! I was just like you when I bought my 400ex. Don't worry about the parking brake. Hell, what do you need brakes for?:devil:

Scott-300ex
04-13-2005, 10:47 AM
good job man, i remember always you hearin how you don't have one and your parents won't help you out with it

payin for your own stuff does feel kick *** too

im savin for a yfz and my friend will proly buy my 300 for 3000 bucks so im happy

Scott-300ex
04-13-2005, 10:48 AM
and stop talkin on here and go ride it!!!

lol

FreekShow
04-13-2005, 11:54 AM
Thats cool. Im starting to save towards a sport quad. Got a long ways to go but can't wait till I get it.

Flynbryan19
04-13-2005, 11:54 AM
Congradulations! :) Theres nothing more admirable than a young person that knows/appreciates the value of a dollar and the hard work it takes to earn it.

Have a blast on your new ride, and if anyone ever knocks what you got ask them if they bought their own or if mommy and daddy got it for them. As a younger person(teenager) I'm willing to bet most will be the latter.

400exrules
04-13-2005, 02:00 PM
yah i havent been able to go ridin yet, i might be able to this weekend but i need to get a helmet first. All ive done is just drove it down the street, before i bought it and thats about it.

and is it normal, sometimes for when u shift into second and hit the gas reall hard for it to kinda bog down and hesitate, then go?

and wut all do i need to get for regular maintenance?

wut kind of spark plugs, wut kind of chain oil, wut kind of motor oil, wut octance gas, what kinda air filter cleaner? etc.

bulkdriverlp
04-13-2005, 02:17 PM
congrats man, that has to make you feel good. a lot of kids these days are damn spoiled, you paid for it so i know you will take good care of it. good choice. the bogging, you might need to turn your pilot screw out 1/2 turn. i use klotz spray lube for the chain, pj1 for the filter and a champion plug. good luck with it.;)

SRH
04-13-2005, 04:30 PM
400ex is one of the best all around quads you can get, youll be happy and get your moneys worth

ShiftFMX
04-13-2005, 05:02 PM
Well, LETS SEE IT! :devil:

hondardr4life
04-13-2005, 07:13 PM
Yea, i remember what it was liek when I paid for my 300ex with the money I earned. I paid $2500 for it, the sad thing is, that was a fair price back then, plus it was in absolute perfect shape. My parents didn't help me either buying it. It really is a great feeling, and I have also paid for all my mods except for my motor mods which was my only christmas gift this year. Have fun with that thing, 400's are nice quads.

400exrules
04-13-2005, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Killa250ex
Well, LETS SEE IT! :devil:

i have pictures on my phone but i dont know how to get them onto the computer

and my dad picked up a bottle of pj1 today and rolled my quad and sprayed the chain down good, can i use the same stuff on my air filter? and wut are the procedures for cleanin ur air filter?

kevo081
04-13-2005, 07:34 PM
i am in highschool and i still have a job

Scott-300ex
04-14-2005, 05:34 PM
i use maxima i think it is, chain wax, clean the chain with kerosen then drive it around for 5 minutes then spray it on, works great, proly the best stuff

oil use GN-4 I THINK i use 10w-40 but you can use whatever and change it when the wheather changes

plug, factory one, if you go to ngk or something ask the dealer

for cleaning the air filter, get a bucket of kerosen, wider than the filter and about as tall as it, dip the filter into the kerosene and don't let it overflow into the inside of the filter cuz dirt'll get in their, let it sit in there till it gets clean which will only be like 15 seconds, rub spots if they don't come out
then let it dry, and try and get most of it off with clean rags, then let it dry completely, overnight proly, i don't remember, then oil it

so basically dip it in kerosene, let it dry, oil it

good luck

400exrules
04-14-2005, 07:31 PM
i got some pj1 chain lube, can i just spray my chain after/before every ride, or do i need to take my whole chain off and do the kerosene stuff too??? :confused:

Plante400
04-14-2005, 07:43 PM
the box says too.. unless your a whacko or a cheap.

just spray it pretty good before ure rides

ReconRider25
04-14-2005, 07:52 PM
plug, factory one, if you go to ngk or something ask the dealer

stock in mine was ngk.....great plugs!! also on the gn4, i ran the stuff in the gold bottle thats like a couple bucks more then the tregular gn4 i believe.....mine was smokin in about 8 months.....im now running the 20w50 from walmart....still smokes but itll keep her runnin strong till next winter.....as far as chainlube....honda stuff is garbage....get some belray or somethin.....for the air filter oil.....i use the k&n recharger kit on my k&n....

o4250
04-14-2005, 07:52 PM
I know exactly what your going through when I got my first bike I couldnt sleep for A week:eek2: I was so excited:p

Im getting A job application tommrow and hopefully I will have A 400 ex by october:devil:

wheelinforlife
04-14-2005, 10:18 PM
DUDE congrats I know that feeling you were having bro:)

400exredrider
04-14-2005, 10:57 PM
start moddin the hell outta it now

Scott-300ex
04-15-2005, 06:44 PM
You don't have to take your chain off to clean it, just put kerosene on a rag and the quad on a crate and spin the tires and wipe the chain down:D

400exrules
04-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
You don't have to take your chain off to clean it, just put kerosene on a rag and the quad on a crate and spin the tires and wipe the chain down:D

k so i need to do that after a day of ridin?

thrasher_ex
04-16-2005, 09:12 AM
lol just make sure u dont do what i did and run it out of oil like 3 days after you buy it.....i was pissed as hell.....

congrats by the way, sounds like a great quad

JDiablo
04-16-2005, 09:23 AM
haha congrats man,i remember my first ride on my 400,damn my arms hurt at the end of the day,that was the best feeling going from a 300 to a 400e :devil: good luck with it

Scott-300ex
04-16-2005, 11:26 AM
yeah, you should clean it off so it don't force dirt in there and f*** your chain up when you spray on the lube

have you went ridin yet?:D

hessianmx111
04-16-2005, 06:51 PM
First off, congrats on the bike.
I'd clean the chain with kerosene every 3-5 rides or when it starts to look pretty dirty, lube it after every ride.
For airfilter maintenence, clean with kerosene to get all the old filter oil off then squish it dry(dont wring it out as this will tear the foam), then dip the filter in a bucket of warm soapy water to get the rest of the stuff off it that the kerosene might have missed, once again squish as much water out as you can, then get a hairdryer and dry the filter or let it sit out in the hot sun, then take some airfilter oil, i prefer maxima fft as it is super tacky, make sure that the filter is completely dry because if it isn't then the oil wont tack up, get some latex gloves to keep your hands clean for this next part, the oil will have a little foil cover thing over the opening, instead of removing this take an ink pen and poke about 4-6 holes medium size holes all over it so that the oil comes out in a shower shape instead of a big glob, this makes it easier and saves oil. cover the filter in oil and then take your hands and movie it all around the filter until it is pretty well covered.now get the hair dryer and dry it or let it sit in the sun for awhile to allow it to dry up a little then put it back in the bike.

sorry for the no punctuation or anything i didnt feel like typing all that proper.

400exrules
04-16-2005, 08:10 PM
yeah, you should clean it off so it don't force dirt in there and f*** your chain up when you spray on the lube

have you went ridin yet?:D

goin tomorrow :D

i just have a few more questions. I ride trails mainly and the front tires are stock, and the rears are 22 inch holeshot xc's, do i need to change my gearing? and how many teeth are on the stock sprockets. The front is 15 right?

jesshamner
04-17-2005, 12:59 AM
Stock front is 15. You might want to switch to 14 to even it out. I ran a 14 on 20" tires. I climb a lot of hills and it was easier to forget about 1st gear and only use 2nd.

400exrules
04-17-2005, 07:15 AM
so if i put a 14 up front would i lose alot of top speed or topend?

and are they hard to install, wut do u have to do to the chain?

jesshamner
04-17-2005, 09:08 AM
Its not hard to install at all. With 22" tires you shouldn't lose too much top end but who cares if you do? Its not much and well worth it in the trails. All you have to do is loosen the chain, pop the chain guard off, and take out the 2 bolts that hold the sprocket on...I think. It has been a while since I even looked at a 400ex.

04-18-2005, 04:16 PM
ur friggen lucky bro
i've been watin for about 5 years now and i still havnt got a quad,
same here ive also thaut about it everyday
every day i get home from school i look in the shed or garage and see if my parents got it for me as a suprise but nothing yet
my parents told me that im getting more resonsible and they are probably getting it for me before xmas of 05
they said they'll get me a 450 cus my dad said he likes the power and torque and the potential of this quad.
I've got a 75% feeling that they are gonna get it for me for my 8th grade graduation in june as a super suprise cus i kept my grades up the whole year,but then again i got a little bro whos in 6th grade who wants a yz 85 and that pulls my chances down even more

congrats (400exrules) on getting ur new quad ,i hope u have fun

(And just wish me luck on getting a quad)LOL

Im outy:D :D

04-18-2005, 04:23 PM
Oh i forgot
post some pics

:D

400exrules
04-18-2005, 10:01 PM
yah ive asked this a few times already, how do i get the pics off my phone to on here, cuz i dont have a digital camera

Scott-300ex
04-21-2005, 07:45 PM
proly hook up a cord to the phone to the usb port

taller gearing is nice with the 15 cuz you won't have to shift as much in the trails

if you find yourself running out of gears down below and wish you had another lower gear and it bogs down switch to a 14, but i bet you'll be fine

RAPTOR80RACR990
04-21-2005, 08:02 PM
Congrats on getting a 400ex. Have fun on it!:D

400exrules
04-25-2005, 02:14 PM
proly hook up a cord to the phone to the usb port

taller gearing is nice with the 15 cuz you won't have to shift as much in the trails

if you find yourself running out of gears down below and wish you had another lower gear and it bogs down switch to a 14, but i bet you'll be fine

yah, im ordering a 14 tooth soon

hessianmx111
04-25-2005, 02:39 PM
Can you send picture messages?