PDA

View Full Version : Carrier bearings

Fast350ex
04-12-2005, 07:15 PM
What are some symptoms of worn or damaged carrier bearings?
Can the carrier itself possibly be damaged?

I was at the track the other day and I heard a clicking noise, and kind of a soft jerky/ uneven feeling from the rear. I look down and oil was spilling all over. I took a closer look and my chain had become so loose that it busted a hole in my side cover. Unfortunately I didn't have a case saver on.

It's a brand new D.I.D racing chain with about 3 rides on it so it's in good shape and was nice and snug.
As I was looking at the chain, I noticed that the piece all the way to the left of the carrier (chain tightener) had shifted up.

What can cause this?
I'm getting the engine fixed, but that's not what I'm worried about.
I'm curious as to how the carrier shifted ( how did this happen? ) To cause my chain to become extremely loose.

Will a chain guide help the chain from slapping around?
Where can I get one?, I've never seen them for a 400ex, only for banshees and stuff.

bigvforcer
04-12-2005, 07:43 PM
Bad bearings can be diagnosed by lifting the quad off the ground and see if there is any play in the axle from front to back. Wiggle the axle and if it moves a lot then the bearings are bad. It sounds as if the bolts that hold the rear of the swingarm tight loosened and couse the carrier to roll forward.

Fast350ex
04-12-2005, 07:49 PM
Thanks, I'll have to try that but I met a Race team at the track that has their own machine shop, so my bike is at their shop right now, having the cases fixed.

Anyone else?