PDA

View Full Version : HRC to scared now....

stang233
04-12-2005, 05:51 PM
Well all of this talk has got me scared about getting the HOT CAM and apparently HRC has stopped making the cams for the 400ex. So there is only 9 left that the honda warehouse has.

If i get the HRC cam do i have to have header pipe and rejet or not. I currenlty have a slip on filter and rev box. Let me know.

P.S.--- I might be jetted. I bought the quad used and it was already pipped and intake... So jet might be there but if it is it is only a stage 1. Please let me know guys...

TC426EX
04-12-2005, 05:56 PM
The HRC cam is a pretty mild cam from what I hear, so although the gains will be noticeable, it should work fine with your slipon...

stang233
04-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Ok they want 150 to put the cam in. Is it really that hard. I mean ajust my own valvues and other work. Is a cam really that hard on our bikes????

NacsMXer
04-12-2005, 06:18 PM
$150 to install your cam? Haha noooo way man, you can do it yourself. Just buy a Honda service manual for the 400EX; changing out a cam is a piece of cake, and in the process it will tell you how to adjust your valves pictures and everything.

I started running the HRC cam this year and it is awesome! Laz at GT Thunder highly recommended this cam over the Web Cam 463/9i I was interested in. I was coming off of a Web Cam 450/451 cam which was an "all around power" cam. The HRC is also an "all around" cam, but I would not consider it mild by any means. It has way more hit to it and is more comparable to a HotCams stage 2 cam. You will really be impressed after you install it.

Best of all, it was designed by Honda, who designed the motor so you know they know how to make power. You also do not need any other mods with the HRC, it is truly a "drop in" cam. :D

stang233
04-12-2005, 07:22 PM
How big of deal is being jetted with the CAM..

blue416ex
04-12-2005, 07:31 PM
no biggy just up the main a bit thats what i did and mines fine

crazyatvn
04-12-2005, 08:16 PM
is there actually an hrc cam for a 400ex I thought it was just for XR400?

NacsMXer
04-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by crazyatvn
is there actually an hrc cam for a 400ex I thought it was just for XR400?

The HRC cam was designed for the XR400 motor, it literally "drops in" the 400EX motor and yields some impressive gains over stock.

Rico
04-13-2005, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by TC426EX
The HRC cam is a pretty mild cam from what I hear, .

You heard wrong.

Ever since I put the HRC cam in mine I have no problems running with 450R that have the full HRC Kit in them....

I think your confusing it with the XR400 cam. IT's probably THE best ALL AROUND drop in cam on the market.

I'd like to hear a comparison of the HRC to the stage 3 hot cam from someone that has ran both. I know the stage 3 hotcam is top end only and the bottom end sucks, so my question is the HRC cam's top end equal to the hot cam?? Maybe I'll dig around and find one and run it to see what the real deal is and not all this here say stuff.....:eek2:

TC426EX
04-13-2005, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Rico
You heard wrong.

Ever since I put the HRC cam in mine I have no problems running with 450R that have the full HRC Kit in them....

I think your confusing it with the XR400 cam. IT's probably THE best ALL AROUND drop in cam on the market.

Youre right Rico, I was thinking of the XR400 cam... Dont know much about the HRC for the EX

NacsMXer
04-13-2005, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Rico
You heard wrong.

I'd like to hear a comparison of the HRC to the stage 3 hot cam from someone that has ran both. I know the stage 3 hotcam is top end only and the bottom end sucks, so my question is the HRC cam's top end equal to the hot cam?? Maybe I'll dig around and find one and run it to see what the real deal is and not all this here say stuff.....:eek2:

Rico, I'm pretty sure the HRC gives similar mid-top gains like the stage 2 Hotcam, but gives much better low-end than the stage 2 at the same time. This is what Laz told me when I was inquiring btw. He knows the specifics a lot better, but he highly reccommended this cam over many others I could choose :macho

Kansas T
04-16-2005, 05:19 PM
Anybody else have any experience with the HRC cam? I've currently got an XR cam and am looking for more top end power, but I dont want to give up anything down low. How's the low rpm power of the HRC cam?

crazyatvn
04-16-2005, 07:17 PM
I just ordered mine I can't wait.

thrasher_ex
04-17-2005, 12:55 AM
wheres a good place to order them from?

crazyatvn
04-17-2005, 06:38 AM
I got it from my local honda shop they give me a sweet deal. But unless you get a great deal for your honda shop then I would say www.servicehonda.com

do you need part number?

Rico
04-17-2005, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Kansas T
Anybody else have any experience with the HRC cam? I've currently got an XR cam and am looking for more top end power, but I dont want to give up anything down low. How's the low rpm power of the HRC cam?

I went from the XR Cam to the HRC and it is a BIG increase in power. The lowend is just as good as the XR and it has gobs of midrange and topend power. You'll probably need to purchase a wheelie bar with it....:eek:

They are costly but well worth it.