PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Disassembly help

400ex2072
04-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Ok, I just pulled my engine out of the frame to freshen up my top end. While I am at it, i am replacing my clutch basket. I have a question on getting this thing apart though. I have the pressure plate out that bolts with all the springs. Inside the inner hub there is a large bolt that I need to loosen. Problem is, when I go to loosen it, the entire inner hub and the shaft it is connected to just spin. I tried putting it in gear and it didnt really help. My question is what do I have to do to somehow lock the inner hub in place so I can loosen the bolt that holds the assembly on? Any help is appreciated!

the Z Man
04-12-2005, 01:55 PM
I use a strap wrench, it is a square tube with a nylon strap that wraps around the inner hub, you will also need an air ratchet or some sort of impact, its way easier, also, on the 400ex there is a dimple in the bolt you may want to straighten. hope this helps, if you don't have any of these you could go to any bike shop and just pay em a few bucks sto knock it off for ya, but you basically need the same tools to put er back together. Z.

colt45er
04-12-2005, 02:01 PM
Yea its used to be hard to get the baskets off. . but don't try to jam a screw driver or somethin in there to get it off. . I think its motion pro that makes a tool like a pair of vice grips to hold the inner basket.. im not 100% sure its motion pro. . i'll check mine and see who makes it. . . later

duke416ex
04-12-2005, 02:44 PM
I used an impact to take it off the other day. I was having trouble with it spinning to and I had it in gear with the back brakes locked. So I just spun it off with the impact, took it off before it had a chance to spin.

BLEEDRED
04-13-2005, 11:06 AM
The large bolt is staked in place. Start by grinding the portion of the nut that is punched down (carefully). Then wrap a towel around the basket and use and impact wrench to take off the nut. When you replace it, use a new nut and put it on with the same towel/impact method. Make sure to stake the nut when you are done.