PDA

View Full Version : hand grip keeps slipping

COMBATRACING
04-12-2005, 08:30 AM
How the heck do ya stop the left grip from slipping on bars like Pro taper or Tag. They have that knurled left side and it doesn't matter if i safety wire it or what grip i use they still keep coming loose. Any tricks?

huffdaddy_400EX
04-12-2005, 09:11 AM
get some grip glue...like Grip-It Grip Glue or Renthal Grip Glue

COMBATRACING
04-12-2005, 09:21 AM
I've been using glue, and i've used grip glue, 3m adhesive, clear spray paint. I can get the r/side to stick fine but that left is really pissin me off. Im a welder and im thinking of getting a piece of really thin alum. sheet metal and wrapping it real tight to the l/side bar and roset welding it in several spots. mind you very thin sheet metal. Just so the surface of the bar is smooth and not knurled.

Flynbryan19
04-12-2005, 09:29 AM
Interesting......

I don't even use grip glue. I just put them on with compressed air, then saftey wire them with three runs and they stay. How are you putting them on? Your not using water or anything are ya?

zephead400ex
04-12-2005, 09:39 AM
I posted this in the Open Forum too.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=884644&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descendinghttp://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56886&highlight=grips+are+slipping

COMBATRACING
04-12-2005, 09:39 AM
I've used a bunch of methods but at this point i'm goin to the last resort i have. a few people i ride with have a simmilar problem. but i know alot of people have no prob. I'll post my results and some pic's IF IT WORKS that is. Thanks.

brian350rx
04-12-2005, 01:21 PM
Make sure your bars and the inside of the grip is clean and dry. Spray some starting fluid inside the grip and shake it around and let it all run out. Maybe blow in it a little, but while it is still wet slide it on the bars - it should slide right on. When it dries it will stick like glue.

Ive used this method numerous times and its wotked great every time. After doing this, when I need to replace them again, they have to be cut off.

Good luck!

COMBATRACING
04-12-2005, 02:20 PM
thanks brian.

wilkin250r
04-12-2005, 03:13 PM
Personally, I've never had any problems with Renthal grip glue, expecially on the knurled side. I DID have problems with Honda grip glue.

ATV403
04-12-2005, 03:47 PM
I have used Goop for several years with great results. You can buy it at most hardware stores. It comes in a tube like silicone. I consider it a cross between silicone and crazy glue. I put some on the bars and some in the grip. I usually spray some starting fluid on the glue on the bars to help it slide because some grips can be difficult otherwise. Rotate them around one way then rotate them back a little for alignment. Let them sit overnight and your ready to go.There are several kinds of Goop but they all seem to be about the same to me. I prefer Goop over Renthal and Honda glues. Be prepared for some tough clean up when you replace the grips this stuff sticks good.

<DRS>GPF
04-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by brian350rx
Make sure your bars and the inside of the grip is clean and dry. Spray some starting fluid inside the grip and shake it around and let it all run out. Maybe blow in it a little, but while it is still wet slide it on the bars - it should slide right on. When it dries it will stick like glue.

Ive used this method numerous times and its wotked great every time. After doing this, when I need to replace them again, they have to be cut off.

Good luck!

ditto... ready to run in minutes..

since youve tried to use it already, make sure to wipe out the inside of the grip with a fluid soaked rag to get out any residue..

rob-u/21
04-12-2005, 04:57 PM
This may seem stupid, but check and see if you are using atv (thumb throtle) grips. You may be using twist throtle grip and the left one might be the twist throtle grip making it a little to big. It seems to weird that it keeps slipping. Again, just a suggestion.

aci clay
04-14-2005, 02:17 PM
i use automotive weatherstrip adhesive, you know the gorilla snot stuff, and safety wire. just not too much adhesive, it will eat thru the end of your grip if it puddles up there.

jacobw
04-14-2005, 02:33 PM
USE 3M weatherstrip adhesive and you will never have any problems glued mine on and they wont slip you dont need any wire just make sure you have enough glue on the bars. they slide right on and will never move.

aci clay
04-14-2005, 05:09 PM
yeah, the 3m stuff is what i use, works great:) :)