PDA

View Full Version : Canada: Local group wants off road vehicles banned

Crowdog
04-12-2005, 07:40 AM
Local group wants off road vehicles banned

By Lisa Beaubien
Tuesday April 12, 2005

Crowsnest Pass Promoter — A local environmental group wants off-road vehicles banned from streets and lanes within the municipality.
"All (streets and lanes)?" asked Councillor Nestor Chorney at last week’s Council meeting.
"Pretty much a total ban," responded Irene Carlson, president of the Crowsnest Conservation Society, formerly known as the Crowsnest Environmental Action Society.
Carlson addressed Council on Tuesday, April 5, citing a recent Quebec Superior Court ruling in which a judge ruled that residents should be compensated for the noise pollution caused by off-road vehicles. Each of approximately 600 people received $2,400 a year, retroactive to 1997. The total amount the province and municipality of Saint-Jovite were liable for was $5 million.
"We ask that Council address the issue of off-road vehicle use, and that the bylaw be amended to reflect the concerns of the many residents affected by the noise and air contamination caused by these machines," said Carlson. "Our citizens deserve the same right to quiet residential streets and clean air as those enjoyed by neighbouring communities."
She said the environmental group believes the bylaw is outdated and has "never been effectively enforced."
Councillor Gail Sygutek told Carlson, in her opinion, off-road vehicles cause no more pollution than any car does. She said if off-road vehicles are banned, the municipality might as well ban diesel trucks from driving through the Pass, as well as all other vehicles. "They cause no more pollution than my car, your car, anyone’s car," she said.
Councillor Jiri Stolarik asked Carlson if she had any letters of support or a petition.
"Not yet," said Carlson, adding that she could.
"That would be highly recommended," said Stolarik.
The current bylaw allows off-road vehicles on municipal streets between the hours of 8 a.m. and 9 p.m. The only exceptions are 17 Ave. in Coleman, 20 Ave. in Blairmore, 213 St. in Bellevue and 9 Ave. in Hillcrest. Speed is limited to 15 km per hour.
The purpose of the bylaw is to allow access to off-road trails.
Stolarik agreed there is a problem. "I have seen off-road vehicles on streets with no intention of accessing trails," he said. An off-road vehicle user himself, Stolarik says he thinks the real issue is enforcement.
Councillor Jackie Ham asked Carlson is there were any specific areas that there are problems.
"I have no specific areas in mind," responded Carlson, but noted that there are problems in Bellevue, Blairmore, and Coleman. "I’m aware of some places in Coleman where the nuisance factor is pretty high," she said.
Ham said she had spoken to the RCMP, and they don’t get that many complaints. "What I hear from them contradicts what you’re saying." Sgt. Brad Kaeding was out of town and not able to comment on the issue.
Ham joined Stolarik in the recommendation to get letters of support.
Sygutek says the number of complaints have gone down since the bylaw was passed in 1994. "A lot of people can’t afford trailers (to get their off-road vehicles to the trails)," she said.
While agreeing that there needs to be better enforcement of the bylaw, she disagreed with the idea of a ban. "I think the government puts too many restrictions on people (already)," said Sygutek.

http://www.crowsnestpasspromoter.com/story.php?id=153960