PDA

View Full Version : Stupid!stupid!stupid!

450rrider#55
04-11-2005, 09:07 PM
HEY GUYS WHAT'S UP? JUST JOINED THE SITE AND HAVE A QUESTION. I DID SOMETHING REALY DUMB. ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE 450R ENGINE (IF YOUR SITTING ON THE QUAD) THERE IS SOMETHING THAT PETRUDES OUT LIKE A NOSE OR SOMETHING THAT POINTS TOWARD THE REAR OF THE BIKE. IT IS HELD IN PLACE BY TWO 8MM SCREWS. THE PROBLEM IS THAT I REMOVED THIS OUT OF CURIOSITY (STUPID MOVE) AND NOW CAN'T GET IT BACK ON. WHEN I FEEL INSIDE THE HOLE THERE IS SOMETHING BLOCKING THE WAY. I THINK IT MAY HAVE SLID DOWN OR TO THE SIDE. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS IS AND HOW TO GET IT BACK ON? I HOPE I DON'T HAVE TO START TAKING THE ENGINE APART JUST TO GET THIS BACK ON. WHEN I KICK THE ENGINE OVER WITH MY FINGER IN THE HOLE I CAN FEEL IT MOVING BACK AND FORTH. ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. AND PLEASE NO BASHING, I ALREADY FEEL BAD ENOUGH. I GUESS YOU LEARN FROM STUPID MISTAKES HUH.:cuss: :confused: :( :grr: :huh

BOONE450R
04-11-2005, 09:19 PM
Oh man your screwed!!:eek:

J/K sounds like you took off the Cam chain tensioner. There is a bolt on the end of it that you will need to take off, so you can reset the tension on it. Once the bolt is off get a small screwdriver(flat head) and stick it in there, you will be able to turn the screw inside of it (CC i think) turn it tell it stops. Now you will have to hold the screwdriver in there, then place the tensioner back on the engine and start one of the bolts. Make sure you have at least one of the bolts hand tight before you let go of the screwdriver. Then replace the bolt on the end and your done.

Also, i would not kick the bike over to much, for it can jump timing.

Hope that helps
Daniel

honda350r
04-11-2005, 09:21 PM
LOL that is some funny shiot

450rrider#55
04-11-2005, 11:32 PM
THANKS DANIEL, THATS IT DOG. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT WHEN I TRIED TO PLACE IT BACK SOMETHING IS BLOCKING THE WAY INSIDE THE ENGINE. IT WON'T GET CLOSE ENOUGH TO GET A BOLT STARTED. IT FEELS LIKE ITS SOME TYPE OF SLIDE OR SOMETHING. DOES IT PUSH UP OR JUST GO STRAIGHT BACK. I DON'T WANT TO SCREW ANYTHING UP. THANKS FOR THE HELP MAN I'VE BEEN WORRIED THAT I REALY MESSED SOMETHING UP.

shamisc
04-11-2005, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by 450rrider#55
THANKS DANIEL, THATS IT DOG. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT WHEN I TRIED TO PLACE IT BACK SOMETHING IS BLOCKING THE WAY INSIDE THE ENGINE. IT WON'T GET CLOSE ENOUGH TO GET A BOLT STARTED. IT FEELS LIKE ITS SOME TYPE OF SLIDE OR SOMETHING. DOES IT PUSH UP OR JUST GO STRAIGHT BACK. I DON'T WANT TO SCREW ANYTHING UP. THANKS FOR THE HELP MAN I'VE BEEN WORRIED THAT I REALY MESSED SOMETHING UP.

Did you turn the flat-head screw clockwise? TIP: When you turn the screw Clockwise, If you tighten it tight, it will hold itself until you put the tensioner back in. Just remember to turn it just a hair counter-clockwise AFTER you have tightened the 2 8mm bolts! AFTER!!! Then replace the phillips screw and washer on the tensioner. And PLEASE leave things alone if you don't know what your doing!!!!;)

450rrider#55
04-12-2005, 12:00 AM
NO, I DIDN'T TRY THAT. ONCE I SAW IT WASN'T GOING BACK IN I STOPPED MESSING WITH IT. I'M GOING TO TRY THAT WHEN I GET HOME. THANKS FOR THE HELP.

04-12-2005, 05:27 AM
ur caps lock is on

Flynbryan19
04-12-2005, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
ur caps lock is on

Agreed.....:blah:

BOONE450R
04-12-2005, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by 450rrider#55

What you are feeling inside is the Cam chain guide, the tensioner push against it and keeps constant tension on the chain. You should really get a Service Manual for your quad, for if you had one you could look on page 10-7 and see how to reinstall it. Don't listen to these guys when they say leave things alone, this is the only way you will learn! If you do you will forever in your life be paying someone to fix your stuff, get the book and rock on.;)

Quadude32
04-12-2005, 06:27 AM
Caps are hurting my eye's :eek2: LOL get it fixed ?

tucson450r
04-12-2005, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by BOONE450R
What you are feeling inside is the Cam chain guide, the tensioner push against it and keeps constant tension on the chain. You should really get a Service Manual for your quad, for if you had one you could look on page 10-7 and see how to reinstall it. Don't listen to these guys when they say leave things alone, this is the only way you will learn! If you do you will forever in your life be paying someone to fix your stuff, get the book and rock on.;)

I totally agree. You should learn to work on your own bike, there is an education had here. Good Luck!

jeepnrocks
04-12-2005, 09:07 AM
that wasn't even right boone !!

Punk'd
04-12-2005, 12:03 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/z400punk13/keyboard4.jpg

450rrider#55
04-12-2005, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the help guys. With the instructions given I was able to have it up and running within ten minutes. They were right on the money. I am now attempting to change out my cam. I have had a stage 1 hot cam for some time now and never installed. I have my valve cover off and I see the two allen head screws that hold it in place at one end. Does the allen head screw at the other end come off or does it just slide out once I have the two screws out? Any advice on the easiest way to take the single screw out? Looks like the frame is going to be in the way.

P.S. Caps Lock off

BOONE450R
04-12-2005, 09:01 PM
I think you better get a service manual, for there is a lot more to it then just that.;)

450rrider#55
04-12-2005, 09:48 PM
I have already spoken to someone about checking the valve clearances. They say there is realy no need to check them after installing the stage 1hot cam because it's not that aggressive a cam. Is this true? I know I can do it myself I just need some direction.

BOONE450R
04-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Not true, The profile of the cam has nothing to do with valve clearance. ;)

450rrider#55
04-12-2005, 10:37 PM
Now I'm confused. I thought the lobes of the cam push down on the valves and valve springs sending the valves down toward the piston. Bigger lobes means less clearance from valve to piston thus the need to check valve clearance when going to a more aggressive cam. Am I missing something? Don't mind me I'm just a rookie.:confused:

BOONE450R
04-13-2005, 05:34 AM
Yes, you are correct about the clearance between the piston and the valves, but you will still need to check the clearance between the cam and the valves. When you said valve clearance, i thought you were still talking top end, not combustion chamber.