PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket shocks on a budget

crazyracer250r
04-11-2005, 08:24 PM
i was wondering if anyone knew of a aftermarket shock that is better than stock axis elka and all the others are to expensive for me i would be racing mx blew all my money on powdercoating and chroming my r and ran out of money maybe there is a generic shock?? that is pretty good or sumthin i sure youll know bout im not looking to blow all my money on shocks i know theyre worth it but i was looking for an alternaitive to spendingg my life savings any help woulf be great thanks

400exrider707
04-11-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by crazyracer250r
i was wondering if anyone knew of a aftermarket shock that is better than stock axis elka and all the others are to expensive for me i would be racing mx blew all my money on powdercoating and chroming my r and ran out of money maybe there is a generic shock?? that is pretty good or sumthin i sure youll know bout im not looking to blow all my money on shocks i know theyre worth it but i was looking for an alternaitive to spendingg my life savings any help woulf be great thanks

Your better off spending your life savings...

Trust me you do NOT want to skimp in the suspension department.

Quadude32
04-11-2005, 08:31 PM
Ever think about Work's Triple Rate w/rezzy's i had them on my Race 250R before i sold it....There pretty good for cheap shock's but in NO way are they compaired to PEP or Elka's or Axis

crazyracer250r
04-11-2005, 08:33 PM
how much would they run me

DeerNuts
04-11-2005, 10:10 PM
how much would they run me

I think about 500-600 bucks but im not positive.

Have your stockers rebuilt. That will make a nice difference, and would be inexpensive to boot.

crazyracer250r
04-11-2005, 10:12 PM
i dont want stock shocks it might help but my stock shocks are in pretty good condition i need something performance what about the foxfloat shocks has anyone tried them theyre ugly as hell but they might ride good and body know???

jjohnst03
04-11-2005, 11:06 PM
I figured the fox shocks would be pretty expensive.

Curless #32
04-12-2005, 05:48 AM
Give Works a call, they can revalve your stock shocks and they will be quite nice. The front can be triple rated and the rear can be revalved. Also get the GT thunder link, great improvement. I rode one this weekend and its an unbelievable difference. Ask for Darrel Foust 1-818-701-1010 tell him that I sent you.

dopeyferree
04-12-2005, 06:12 AM
If your on a budget go with the ELKA Recreational series shocks with out the ressie. They are about $465 . Then you can add the ressies to them a little later when you get the money. This way you will have a top of the line shock and you can make it better when your $$$$ gets better..

Quadude32
04-12-2005, 06:33 AM
Work's Triple Rate w/Rezzy's will run ya around $500 for the front's There is peps on EBay that run good Deal's

http://search.ebay.com/250R-Works-shocks_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

wilkin250r
04-12-2005, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by dopeyferree
If your on a budget go with the ELKA Recreational series shocks with out the ressie. They are about $465 . Then you can add the ressies to them a little later when you get the money. This way you will have a top of the line shock and you can make it better when your $$$$ gets better..

Do the Rec. Series come with SSD? If not, are they able to be rebuilt for SSD later down the road?

400exrider707
04-12-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Do the Rec. Series come with SSD? If not, are they able to be rebuilt for SSD later down the road?

Yes cause I just bought some recreational ssd's. $465 including 2 day air and some elka shock covers.

dopeyferree
04-12-2005, 07:02 PM
Yes they come with SSD. They Are not adjustable except for the ride height until you upgrade them and put the ressies on. I think the rec series Elka is the best for your money and when you can you can make them better.

wheeltrax
04-12-2005, 07:14 PM
thats what i did, the elka rec series, im just waiting on my rear shock, then ill know how i like my setup.

<DRS>GPF
04-13-2005, 05:56 AM

im also on a tight budget.. so i bought the works triple rates w/out the rezzies and im very satisfied..

04-19-2005, 11:31 AM
The new FOX Flaot AirShox w/ rezzies are around $1100. John Natalie now uses them on his TRX450R. For Better Shocks on a tight budget get WORKS Dual or preferabley triple rate w/ rezzies. If you look hard on ebay you can find them for around $350 a pair. I was very fourtunate in that my grandfather is friends with rodger penske,and penske makes custom axis...Saved me $1000 haha

250-R-250
04-19-2005, 04:14 PM
HAHAHA...wanna get me a deal?

DeerNuts
04-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by aLLoY MX 428
The new FOX Flaot AirShox w/ rezzies are around $1100. John Natalie now uses them on his TRX450R. For Better Shocks on a tight budget get WORKS Dual or preferabley triple rate w/ rezzies. If you look hard on ebay you can find them for around $350 a pair. I was very fourtunate in that my grandfather is friends with rodger penske,and penske makes custom axis...Saved me $1000 haha

Man thats awesome. Where do you live in PA??? Im in the NE part.
Hook me up dude :D

j/k man i know u cant be givin free shocks out. but if you ever can, drop me a line man:cool:

04-20-2005, 03:46 PM
i live in the southeast part towards deleware. My grandfather owns a car-race team and is now on the r&d team for Ohlins USA, and they recently flew him to sweeden to meet the big shots. Now i have a set of ohlins on my other quad. Man,how lucky can i get.haha

04-20-2005, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by DeerNuts
Man thats awesome. Where do you live in PA??? Im in the NE part.
Hook me up dude :D

j/k man i know u cant be givin free shocks out. but if you ever can, drop me a line man:cool:

I could get you ohlins at a discount,about $250 off bringing the price to about $700. Still pretty steep, but alot better the close to 1,000. My grandpa just told me that Yamaha owns ohlins today,just thought i would pass that along since i figured not to many people know that. Rumors are that some ohlins might show up in Kory Ellis's pits sometime soon...