PDA

View Full Version : Help with Multi Meter For Stator

Oldrrider
04-11-2005, 07:22 PM
Hey all you R riders that know about Multi Meters...I need help. I am not up on these at all. I am trying to determine if the stator is working. I hooked it up like Ricky Stator told me to. One lead on the Black and red wire from the stator. the other lead to a ground. I don't know if the meter is on the right setting. I have it on volts up to 200. The most I got out of kicking it over was about 9. Is there some other setting to use. I have a GB instruments Multimeter. Any help would be cool!

wilkin250r
04-11-2005, 09:38 PM
I hate to tell you, but you're not going to get any type of useful reading. The stator is putting out an AC signal, so if you're on a DC setting, you won't get anything.

Also, it is going to take some time for the meter to react and give you an accurate reading. The response time can be anywhere from 1 second to several seconds. You're not going to see an instant change on the display.

Black and red. Is that the exciter coil, or the trigger coil? What exactly are you trying to test?

By the way, I'm an Electrical Engineer. I know a thing or two about multi-meters. ;)

Oldrrider
04-12-2005, 06:40 AM
I bought a new stator and flywheel from Ricky Stator. I can't seem to get any spark and the new engine will not start. I called Ricky and they told me to hook to the wire I mentioned and test for volts..they said it should be between 30-90 volts. I am trying to dtermine if the sator is good. I have a new CDI, Coil and wire harness. I thought I would start with the stator and work my way toward the plug to try to get spark Any other suggestions to know whether the stator is good?

Dave83
04-12-2005, 09:40 AM
Put the meter on ohms and check the ignition.The Clymer manual has the specs.I have checked the system for voltage but like wilkin said,it can be hit or miss with a meter.Ohming it will let you know if the windings are good and if you have a good ground.

wilkin250r
04-12-2005, 09:57 AM
The Clymer specs may not necessarily be accurate, depending on what coil you're trying to test. However, they should be pretty close on the exciter and trigger coils. Ricky Stator should also be able to give you resistance specs.

Testing the resistance (ohms) of your stator is actually a very reliable test, and much easier to check than the voltage output. If the resistance is good, then the stator is working properly, I'd bet my paycheck on it.

Generating power is pretty simple, as it applies to your stator. It really only has three main components. A spinning magnet (the flywheel), a coil of wire, and some sort of core to wrap the wire around.

Well, the core is just a set of metal plates, it CAN'T go bad.

It's pretty hard to break the flywheel and magnets inside, so most likely, THAT part is good, too.

So the only fragile part, really, is the coil of wire. And how many problems can there be with a coil of wire? Two, that I can think of. Either the wire is broken, or the coils have shorted together. Either problem will show up in a resistance check. If the resistance is within spec, then it's a pretty sure bet the coil of wire is in good condition.

The coil of wire may be out of place, but if you did your assembly correctly, that is REALLY unlikely. Plus, if it WAS out of place, the grinding noise and metal shavings would be a dead givaway.

My suggestion would be the same as Dave, check the resistance according to specs, and double-check the specs with Ricky Stator. If the resistance specs are good, I'd say your problem is most likely some place OTHER than the stator. I had two problems in my 250X this past weekend, a dirty connection with the trigger coil, and a faulty kill switch.

Oldrrider
04-12-2005, 10:36 AM
That is very helpful. I checked the resistance first and got 189..Ricky said should be around 190...so that tells me the stator is good. I still have the key switch...a pro design kill switch... the handlebar light kill switch....a new CDI....and...a Janssen racing coil. Everything worked OK with the Old engine. the olnly change was the flywheel and stator....Where should I go next? I will read my manual and start doing the resistence tests they recommend. I sure appreciate the help. Somethings I have no clue about!

Knips178
04-12-2005, 01:24 PM
I'm having problems with my spark right now to. Everyone keeps telling me i have a bad ground somewhere since i just PC'd my frame and motor mounts. So that would probably be your next step. double check your ground connections.

Dave83
04-12-2005, 02:33 PM
Just curious,but was your flywheel key in good shape?My friends would let the flywheel slip causing eradict firing.They dont stick up far when they are new so a little wear can cause a prob.Just something else to check.

wilkin250r
04-12-2005, 03:17 PM
I'd suspect a bad connection somewhere. Beyond these simple things, it becomes very difficult to help you without being there in person. You could check the output of the stator using an oscilloscope, but not everybody has access to one of those.

Oldrrider
04-12-2005, 03:21 PM
Thanks everyone. I am looking at the grounds right now. I also have disconnected my kill buttons and key switch. The coil checked out OK..The only thing left will be the CDI....I am also going to check for spark after dark..I guess sometimes it is very hard to see. I am also going to checl my plug gap and maybe decrease the gap a little.

snow4fun
06-24-2005, 10:38 PM
wilkin250r or Anyone,

I have a Honda ATC250R (threewheeler) 1986. (Essentially the same motor as the TRX250R) It died on me last weekend and I couldn't get it started. I purchased a wiring harness off Ebay that had the CDI, Coil, and exciter attached. This didn't fix the problem either. It still won't start and I can't get spark. I then searched and found this thread and decided to run the ohms check on the stator that is discussed below. I can't get anything at all when checking the Ohms on the black and red wire. Is my stator dead? I tried to take the flywheel off and it appears it takes a special puller. Anyone have an easy way to get the flywheel off so I can keep tracing this Black/Red wire and see if its shorting out on something??? Anyone else have any other ideas of what my problem might be? I guess after 19 years something has to go out. Any help would be greatly appreciated so I don't have to haul it down to the local Honda dealership. Thanks Scott

Dave83
06-24-2005, 11:21 PM
You almost have to have the flywheel puller to get those things off.If your checking resistance on the black/red wire and ground,and not showing anything,then the stator probaly has quit you.

snow4fun
06-25-2005, 08:32 PM
Dave83,

Right you are!!! I broke down and took it to my Honda Dealer and found a service guy that took time to find the puller come out to my truck and pop the flywheel for me. He also printed out copies from the Honda Service manual on how to check all my Electrical components. We double checked the stator, and pulse generator and it appears my stator is gone. I just about died when they told me $268.97 for a new one. Then one of their mechanics told me they send some in to Ricky Stator to have them reworked. I have seen Ricky's name mentioned on some other posts. My dealer gave me his number as: 619-449-3905 & when I tried to call it today to find out how much to rework my stator, it said the number is no longer in service. Anyone know how I get in touch with them so I don't have to pay $268.97 for a new one & how much Ricky normally charged to get one rebuilt? Part number from Honda is: 31120-HA2-671 if anyone knows where I can find one in working condition, email me at: li215nflea@netscape.com - Thanks Scott from Layton, UT.
P.S. My dealer (Newgate Honda - Ogden Utah) didn't charge me anything for the use of the puller or any of the other services provided to me today. I was impressed with that!!!

Oldrrider
06-25-2005, 09:16 PM
A new stsor from Ricky Stator I think is $125.00, with a lighter flywheel...200.00 for both I think. Number is 760-787-0094, web site www.rickystator.com

snow4fun
06-25-2005, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the Website info for Ricky Stator. Anyone know if I can get a flywheel puller without going to the Honda dealership to buy one or use theirs??? Thanks Scott

bobby bo
06-26-2005, 07:26 AM
ebay has them,,,also check with local repair shop not dealer. the puller works for mostly all hondas,yamahas, and a few other brands its not 250r specific. puller is like 12 bucks..