PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a 450R and had a few questions....

pharit
04-11-2005, 06:52 PM
Well i had a hell of a time at the dunes with my 88 honda 250R until my clutch basket exploded all over his leg at the drag strip at little sahara.

Long story short he felt terrible about it cause i bought the 250 from him about 6 months ago, and he brought down his 330R so he said i could ride his 450R all weekend. so i took full advantage of it. and i gotta say when i first rode it when he first got it i didn;t like it now i can;t seem to get off the damn thing.

Question was that when i was drag racing this 450 i kept gettin beat by this girl, and she had the HRC kit and all the same mods my friend has. my buddys doesn;thave the HRC kit just a jet kit K&N filter and full yosh pipe and no air box lid. and she was beating me by one or two bike lengths everytime. and my buddy would get on it and he;d beat her.

Now do the HRC kits make that much of a differenceand is it worth it? That and what is all included in the HRC kit?

Also i read threw the main crank bearings thread.....Now how do i make sure i don;t have these problems when i go to buy one. not really sure if i wanna buy a used one or brand new.

Sorry for the long post just don;t wanna buy a lemon

kssandduner
04-11-2005, 11:59 PM
I thought the HRC cam made a big difference on the performance of my Honda. I would guess it would be enough to give her a couple bike lengths on ya. A couple other things I would consider was what kind of paddles she was running compared to you, and also how much she weighed compared to you. Personally I feel those two factors help me win a lot of races down there. I run eight paddle scat trak haulers and i only weigh 140lbs. Every little advantage you can get helps against the YFZ's, and the occaisional girl on a 450R!! ;)

Joe

Honda
04-12-2005, 12:56 AM
Also i read threw the main crank bearings thread.....Now how do i make sure i don;t have these problems when i go to buy one. not really sure if i wanna buy a used one or brand new.

I run my quad hard, I mean I honestly have beaten on my 450R and had no problems. I run GNCC and local Hare Scramble events, and I use the same bike to race and trail ride, I trail ride as hard as I race.

I have not had any problems with any thing breaking or failing. I have had some bolts come loose in a few places, mainly the rear sub frame, and front and rear plastic stays. The Factory Stem is weak also, aren't they all though.

Used or new, I think you will be fine.

Also remember, the internet is full of horror stories about products of all sorts, but you have to realize that the folks that have problems are going to use the forums and other internet related places to express concern or find answers to the problem they are having so naturally you are going to hear much more bad than good. In most cases people arent just going to go to a forum and start ranting and raving about how great something is unless they are asked. Now, piss them off and where do you think they are going to run to first?

jeepnrocks
04-12-2005, 09:12 AM
The hrc kit is well worth the money and one of the most popular mods done on these machines.
Just like any other quad, the 450r isn't bulletproof... but its darn close :) I'm pretty sure that if their is a bearing problem that you will know pretty quickly and honda does warranty it without any hassle

pharit
04-13-2005, 07:33 PM
Well i had extreme haulers on mine and she had sand star's (Just bought some for the weekend for my R and i love them) and she we looked about the same weight and everything she was no tooth pick but she wasn;t no cow either. and i weight about 145 150 lbs

Thats what i figured about the bearings a new bad apples spoil the whole bunch but i;ll probably buy a brand new one anyway so i can get a warrenty

From what i seen the HRC kit is pretty good mod to start with but i figured if i;m goin to do the mods i have planned most of that stuff will be gone anyway but i guess time will tell

But i'd like to thank you guys from answer my questions and everything you;ve been a big help thanks

Now if i could find the parts to the 86 so i can get it out the door and use it as a down payment on my new 450 :D