PDA

View Full Version : shifter shaft?

theTman
04-11-2005, 06:29 PM
are these hard to replace? does it take a lot of time..

thanks

96mojave
04-11-2005, 06:37 PM
it souldnt be i know it aint on a blaster, take the right side cover off and pull it out and put a new one in

hondardr4life
04-11-2005, 06:55 PM
I thought that you had to split the cases. Or at least I am pretty sure you do on a 300ex, but im not really sure about a 400ex.

Chino
04-11-2005, 09:10 PM
yup you gotta split the cases it's a fairly detailed job unless your a motor guru i guess. i took mine to a friend and had him fix it. you could also just weld your shifter to your shifter shaft until you do a rebuild so you dont have to pull the motor during race season.

TC426EX
04-11-2005, 09:54 PM
Heh, broke one of these last summer and it wasnt fun... You DO have to tear the whole motor down and split the cases to fix it. The 400ex motor uses only a 1/2 shaft instead of a full shaft that goes from case to case like some of the newer bikes. I would just replace it man. You could try to listen to everyone who says weld it and everything but its iffy at best. Keep in mind that there is a seal on the inside of the case for that shaft and heating it to welding temperatures is not the best thing to do. Basically what Im trying to tell you from experience is that there is no "easy fix" to this problem. Just replace it and add an aftermarket shifter. Hopefully you can do most of the work yourself, otherwise its a raping to get an entire engine torn down and rebuilt at a dealership...

Chino
04-11-2005, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by TC426EX
Heh, broke one of these last summer and it wasnt fun... You DO have to tear the whole motor down and split the cases to fix it. The 400ex motor uses only a 1/2 shaft instead of a full shaft that goes from case to case like some of the newer bikes. I would just replace it man. You could try to listen to everyone who says weld it and everything but its iffy at best. Keep in mind that there is a seal on the inside of the case for that shaft and heating it to welding temperatures is not the best thing to do. Basically what Im trying to tell you from experience is that there is no "easy fix" to this problem. Just replace it and add an aftermarket shifter. Hopefully you can do most of the work yourself, otherwise its a raping to get an entire engine torn down and rebuilt at a dealership...

i totally agree, i was 1/2 way through my xc season and didnt' have the time to get it done immediatly, after the season i tore the motor out, ordered the shaft and took it to my buddy. had it fixed for 100$ counting cost of the part and his labor that he charged me. he works at a dealership but does work outside the shop at his house and gives alot better prices than 40$ an hour

knelson
04-12-2005, 11:21 AM
I broke mine about a year ago right where the groove is.
I ordered a roll design shifter (so it wouldnt bend ) set it on as far as I could and welded it on carefully not to heat up the shaft's seal and then I painted the spot weld w/ black paint and it has held up great. I know it wasn't the right way but from my experience once you start taking stuff apart,it's never the same again.

Cody_300ex
04-12-2005, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by theTman
are these hard to replace? does it take a lot of time..

thanks

You only have to take apart the entire motor.

theTman
04-12-2005, 02:01 PM
well it seems like a tough job,....but i think i might be able to do it...my freind works in a machine shop so im sure he could help...and my neighbor used to race bikes and sleds and is a real good mechanic

thanks guys