PDA

View Full Version : airbox lid on or off

redexrider4290
04-11-2005, 06:15 PM
i just orderd my HMF pipe from worldwideperformance1.com and i cant wait to get it

well anyway i was wandering...

I herd about people removing the airbox lid off their quads i am going to get my carb rejeted anyways and while its at the shop im gona have them service it and they will probobly put a new air filter in well does removing the airbox lid give you more power, does it make your pipe louder (i dont want it to be louder) and is it bad for your engine to run a airbox lid off without the proper jetting (if you have to rejet for removing the lid)

04-11-2005, 06:46 PM
removing the airbox lid will give you some more umpf... and you will have to rejet.. NEVER let somone just stick jets in there and say its good.. always do a plug check whenever you jet.

Jesse

huffdaddy_400EX
04-11-2005, 07:06 PM
I would suggest modifying the lid instead of completely removing it. Get an ehs racing lid kit...it will allow you to keep the lid but increase airflow.

400exrider707
04-11-2005, 08:23 PM
you could buy an airbox outerwear cover from nacs for around $20, that will keep sand out and and ward off water. Also I wouldn't remove the lid if your running the stock air filter as well.

MXRACER86
04-11-2005, 08:28 PM
Well if you decide to take your lid off, you must clean your filter after ever ride! I don't run a lid and the filters get alot more dirty than with a lid on.

04-11-2005, 08:51 PM
off

6858-400ex
04-11-2005, 10:08 PM
i made the pice of metal myself with the outerwears and it works great

muddy400EX
04-11-2005, 10:33 PM
im runnin an HMF slip-on with a 165 main jet and k&n filter. couple days ago i took the air box lid off and removed my spark arrester from the HMF, and man that woke that beast up!

redexrider4290
04-12-2005, 01:41 PM
NEVER let somone just stick jets in there and say its good... always do a plug check whenever you jet

how would i do that like ive herd differenctr ways but im still not sure the specific process and would it hert if i took the lid off just for a day or so riding

thomps6s
04-12-2005, 02:25 PM
I have a HMF slip on on a 400ex with a stock filter. I put an outerwears lid cover on and cut a hole in the airbox lid and clamped the lid down on the outerwears. i did that because the Velcro design it comes with is junk. It really woke the wheeler up allot

DirtDevilBT
04-13-2005, 01:24 AM
Off---- I run the HMF with a UNI and airbox outterwear. I got everything from C&D. The outterwear is very nice and it stretches over the box nicely. After a day at Glamis I have sand sitting on the top. The only sand is the very fine stuff and the UNI captured that very well. Haven't had to clean my filter in over 40 hours either. That's not stupid talk either, the intake tube shows not a sign of dirt and the inside of the filter is as clean as a whistle. The outterwear is also water proof. After a wash, there is a puddle sitting on top the screen. Cool, yet you can breath through it like it wasn't there.

Anyway...off! And look up how to jet in the forum, you really should learn how to do it yourself.

aci clay
04-14-2005, 02:13 PM
take the lid off and keep the filter clean and be sure its seated tite.

kilabeez0
04-14-2005, 03:56 PM
I just ordered the EHS lid after readind this post :D My friend has that outerwears with velcro and it looks like garbage. I bought the kit for $50 and will put it together myself. please 6 screws with a washer and nut on each? i'll save $17 for some schmoe to do that for me.

wut's $50:rolleyes:

PBlackmon
04-14-2005, 04:19 PM
I just have holes drilled in mine. It's wasn't my choice tho, I bought it like that

DirtDevilBT
04-15-2005, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by kilabeez0
I just ordered the EHS lid after readind this post :D My friend has that outerwears with velcro and it looks like garbage. I bought the kit for $50 and will put it together myself. please 6 screws with a washer and nut on each? i'll save $17 for some schmoe to do that for me.

Those older velcro ones do suck! The new Outerwears stretchy ones are much better.:D

Toadz400
04-17-2005, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by redexrider4290
how would i do that like ive herd differenctr ways but im still not sure the specific process and would it hert if i took the lid off just for a day or so riding

If you're putting a pipe on it, you need to learn how to jet your carb. Removing the airbox lid is just going to make it worse by not rejetting it.

redexrider4290
04-18-2005, 11:27 AM
after i get my pipe im going to take it to a shop to rejet the carb and i fiqure i might as well get it serviced while its there

only hope my hmf isn;t going to be to loud i got the qiute core for it but i dont know how much that is going to help

ReconRider25
04-18-2005, 03:54 PM
^^someone likes to waste money. lol maybe you have no idea how to use tools or somethin but id feel much safer havin a 12 year old do the work on my quad over the guys at the dealer. i took mine in for the free tuneup and valve adjust when it was new since they had to replace the cracked header under warrenty and they didnt even do alot of stuff.....no new grease in pivot points....no valve adjustment.....then some things they do actually do like top off the brake fluid in front brakes.....yea the screw for the cap was stripped out.....:mad: id get a jetkit if i were you that way you have the jets u need if your constantly changing setup from season to season like me and they have directions right in it.

Toadz400
04-18-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by ReconRider25
^^someone likes to waste money. lol maybe you have no idea how to use tools or somethin but id feel much safer havin a 12 year old do the work on my quad over the guys at the dealer. i took mine in for the free tuneup and valve adjust when it was new since they had to replace the cracked header under warrenty and they didnt even do alot of stuff.....no new grease in pivot points....no valve adjustment.....then some things they do actually do like top off the brake fluid in front brakes.....yea the screw for the cap was stripped out.....:mad: id get a jetkit if i were you that way you have the jets u need if your constantly changing setup from season to season like me and they have directions right in it.

I'm with him, some people say Jet kits are a waste of money but mine came with my quad and I like the fact that all the ones I'll ever need are right there.

JR3
04-19-2005, 06:32 AM
I have a k and n and a white brothers. Instead of taking the lid off because our practice track gets dusty and sometimes the race tracks do i just bought uni vents. u dril 6 1 inch holes in ur lid and put them in they have a little mini filter in each 1 that u clean wen u clean ur air filter. http://www.unifilter.com/images/Airvents.jpg

redexrider4290
04-19-2005, 07:52 PM
yeah the guy i talked to when i orderd my ppe said it would come with the jetting so i guess thats the jet kit right?

^^someone likes to waste money. lol maybe you have no idea how to use tools or somethin but id feel much safer havin a 12 year old do the work on my quad over the guys at the dealer. i took mine in for the free tuneup and valve adjust when it was new since they had to replace the cracked header under warrenty and they didnt even do alot of stuff.....no new grease in pivot points....no valve adjustment.....then some things they do actually do like top off the brake fluid in front brakes.....yea the screw for the cap was stripped out..... id get a jetkit if i were you that way you have the jets u need if your constantly changing setup from season to season like me and they have directions right in it.

i took my quad here before and they did good work and it wasn;t the dealorship i dont nkow how im wasting money because i would rejet myself but i dont know how exactly and ive never done it before and im afraid of screwing something up

Toadz400
04-19-2005, 09:57 PM
Get a manual or check out the million of threads about it on here. It is quite simply the easiest thing you can do on your quad, there isn't much you can screw up. If you are afraid of screwing up when rejetting, then you shouldn't be riding in the first place. That's like bringing it to a mechanic to put air in the tires or top off the gas...it's incrediably easy.

DirtDevilBT
04-21-2005, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Toadz400
I'm with him, some people say Jet kits are a waste of money but mine came with my quad and I like the fact that all the ones I'll ever need are right there.

It depends on where you go. They are nice and the needles that come with them are better than stock. IMO, however, I run DynoJet needles in both my R and warrior. That's because the kit doesn't cover Glamis and Pismo size mains.:huh

kilabeez0
04-21-2005, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by kilabeez0

I received my lid parts in the mail. i'll post pics. looks REALLY easy to put together. looks nice too.