PDA

View Full Version : Drop in cams for a STOCK motor?

plkmonster2
04-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Hey guys. I've used the serach, and it was helpful to widdle it down to a few cams. It looks like the xr400 cam isn't as snappy as what I want. My motor inside is stock. I've got a hmf slip-on and it's jetted and runs perfect. I have a few cams in mind. I've been looking for some more mid to top end for the sand, and the wide open trails. How would the two TC cams (MX and XC) compare to the new hotcams stage 2? I was looking at the HRC, but it's close to 300 bucks, and I'd like to stay below 200. Thanks!

wheeltrax
04-11-2005, 05:52 PM
for it being an all stock engine, id go with the hotcams stage 1. If you decide to increase your compression, id go with what i believe is the stage 3 (the old stage 2).

plkmonster2
04-11-2005, 08:12 PM
The only prob with the stage 1 is that they say it ticks like crazy, and I'm a nut at that. Kind of gets me worried. Also, it is supposed to be more low end. I've heard that the TC MX is good, but I'd like the see how it is compared to the new stage 2, which is supposed to be close to the HRC.

MXRACER86
04-11-2005, 08:25 PM
The hot cams stage 2 is only made for big bore motors!

TC426EX
04-11-2005, 09:58 PM
The TC 924 MX cam is killer... I used to run a stage 2 hotcam with a std. bore 11:1 piston before I built my engine, and the TC is much better. I cant actually give a complete account, since I did do alot more work to my engine all at once when I added the cam, but I wouldnt trade this cam for anything...

ANY cam you install is best complimented by at LEAST a stock bore Hi Comp piston. Adding just a cam will give you some benefit, but you might as well spring the extra 100 bucks (which aint much in engine building terms) to buy the 11:1 piston as well... You already got the top end apart for the cam, so slap the piston in there as well, and get the results youre supposed to get...