PDA

View Full Version : Question about Polaris Sportsmen 500

laker_42
05-14-2002, 10:43 AM
My buddy is looking at buying a Polaris Sportsmen 500. Is there anything that we should be looking at in particular. I thought maybe someone has one and would know if there is any problems areas to look for on the quad. Thanks for any info you can give.

John
Michigan

Sparkles
05-14-2002, 10:52 AM
i herd that they have engine problems

laker_42
05-14-2002, 10:56 AM
What kind of engine problems?

Blysster
05-14-2002, 11:02 AM
The only thing you can look for it the belt case, make sure it's not cracked and is sealled properly.

Other than that you can check the grease fittings\air filter. That will give you a good idea if the bike was well maintained or not.

Biggest advise I can give you is to go take it for a test drive if they will let you. You will be able to tell what or if there is anything wrong with it.

There is nothing wrong with Polaris bike, they just require alot more maintenance than other bikes. The belt should be changed (or at least checked/serviced) once a year.

MR.EX-TREME
05-14-2002, 11:13 AM
IS HE GOING TO BUY USED OR NEW?? THE 500H.O."S HAVEN,T HAD ANY ENGINE PROBLEMS IVE EVER HEARD OF- THEIR ONE OF THE MOST STURDY 4-WHEEL-DRIVES THERE IS AND AS FAR AS THE BELT GOES -THATS WHAT MOST PEOPLE THINK IS AN ENGINE PROB. WHEN THE BELT GETS WORE DOWN IT IS HARD TO SHIFT AND WILL PULL FORWARD IN GEAR INSTEAD OF SETTING STILL!! BUT ALL AUTOMATIC WHEELERS WITH AN AUTOMATIC BELT DRIVE WILL NEED A NEW BELT FROM TIME TO TIME AND THEIR A HECK OF ALOT EASIER TO CHANGE THAN WET CLUTCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!AS FOR OTHER THINGS TO CHECK MAINLY C-V JOINTS AND JUST BASIC
OVER ALL CONDITION IS ABOUT ALL ! MAKE SURE THE FOUR WHEEL DRIVE ENGAUGES LIKE ON EVERYTHING 4X4,LIKE I SAID THEIR PRETTY STURDY!! AND IF THE BELT IS BAD, USE IT TO GET THE PRICE DOWN!!! LOL!! THEIR EASY TO CHANGE!!! HOPE THIS HELPS YA OUT!! LATER!!
:confused: :devil

HERE'S A PIC OF MINE!! LOL!!:devil

2000SPORT
05-14-2002, 08:23 PM
I got one I use for farm work. It's junk. Just had the camshaft replaced. One of the lobes was completely wore off! Never heard of this happening until it happened to this quad. The brakes are failing again, even after I bled them they just never work all the time. U-joint after u-joint it seems as they are constantly replaced, even with proper maintenence. The upside is, when it runs, it has plenty of power and speed. It's fun to drive when you need to do some boring through mud, or really want to haul goin' up steep trails. They are hard to navigate through tight woods though as with any 4x4. You'll find yourself backing up quite a bit. But, if it's a log stopping you, you can just run over it!

honda 400ex 69
05-31-2002, 10:35 PM
polaris suck ride red

JustRace
05-31-2002, 11:50 PM
Even thought we haven't had a 500 the two polaris that we have/had have performed flawlessly. With the selectible 4-wheel drive they handle well on the trails. Polaris can also go through more mud than any other brand than I have been on.

Zero Z400
06-01-2002, 10:49 PM
My friend has 3 polaris quads. Ones a sportman and he hasn't had any problems. I would definately check the grease fittings, i bought my sled and had to replace a small bolt up by the ski and it was $80!! My uncles shop neighbor also has a sportman that is flawless.

Later