PDA

View Full Version : Question about Bearing carriers w/ grease jerk?

sleepin400
04-11-2005, 11:56 AM
I need a new carrier and have been looking at a few with a grease jerk on them. I was interested in the Burgard Cycle.]

But all of them have an internal grease jerk.

How exactally does that help? You can't regrease it unless you take it out? :confused:

let me know how that works and if I'm missing somthing.

thanks

UglyMotha™
04-11-2005, 11:59 AM
Get a Rad, they have a external grease Zerk

duke416ex
04-11-2005, 12:19 PM
I got one off ebay that has one on the outside, I believe it was an rad carrier, there is a dealer that sells them on there.

cals400ex
04-11-2005, 10:44 PM
i have a rad and i am wondering if the grease zerk only help one side but i could be wrong.

JOEX
04-11-2005, 10:47 PM
What I understand is the bearings are sealed and zerk only fills the cavity around the spacer so regreasing of the bearings is not neccessary.

UglyMotha™
04-12-2005, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
What I understand is the bearings are sealed and zerk only fills the cavity around the spacer so regreasing of the bearings is not neccessary.

keeps water from entering the cavity and setting and eventually destroying the bearings

duke416ex
04-12-2005, 07:01 AM
I wondered the same thing cal, but then I just pumped grease til I seen it come out the brake side that way I new it was getting both sides. It seems to work well, mine is tapered bearing.

TC426EX
04-12-2005, 08:09 AM
Yeah mine is tapered bearing too... One of the main reasons why I bought the JB swingarm as opposed to a Laeger like I was going to is because they are basically the same, except the JB is cut out in the back to access the grease zerk...

Rico
04-12-2005, 08:39 AM
I have the burgard and yes the zerk is on the inside, but I think it's a good thing to pull your carrier out 2 or 3 times a year. YOu can pump all the old grease out this way, it also allows you to examine the rear end to see if everythying is still in working order.

Once you get it down pat you can have a carrier out, repacked and back in within an hour's time. I do it every 2 or 3 months. Seems like a lot of work but I've had the same carrier for almost 3 years now with the same bearings and they are working great.

440exnacsracer
04-12-2005, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Rico

Once you get it down pat you can have a carrier out, repacked and back in within an hour's time.

i had to transfer one from my 400 to a friends 300 and had it out of the 400 in less than 5 minutes:blah: ive had too much experience with rear ends:devil:

TC426EX
04-12-2005, 09:03 PM
Best investment I EVER made for rear end disassembly is a set of Snap-Ring pliers... Definitely one of those niche tools that just saves you a ton of headache! Now if they only had a tool that made getting that copper ring out of the axle easier, I could start adding minutes back onto my lifespan haha...

440exnacsracer
04-12-2005, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by TC426EX
Best investment I EVER made for rear end disassembly is a set of Snap-Ring pliers

si, si, i agree