PDA

View Full Version : tearing apart my engine(450r) what should I do?

bbrad mulvey
04-11-2005, 03:49 AM
I just broke my back this weekend and I igure I might as well tear it apart and get the frame powdercoated and do some motor work to it since I will be down for 8 weeks. I am going to have my head ported and polished and I was also thinking of uping the compression since I am already that far into the motor. I want o have a noticable more amount of power. As of right now I have the HRC kit and a full yoshimura trs tri oval system and I am running my stock carb with a 195 main jet and I think the throttle response is great. I am also using the x10 vortex cdi and it is also great. so I think I will pass on the carb think for now. But should I go with a 11.5 :1 piston or should I just go strait to the 13.5:1 piston? Right now as it stand there are no fast quads than mine in my area. But I want to keep it that way too because sometimes that holeshot is everything! But I want reliability for sure I dont want to tear into it all the time just to make it run. So let me know what you guys think !
brad

2muchquad
04-11-2005, 06:29 AM
go straight to the 13.5 to 1 piston.thats where you'll make your power.save your money on the port job,you wont gain much.honda did a good job from the factory.use the money to get one of those bigger aftermarket radiators to help cool better with the higher compression piston which will run a little hotter.sounds like a good set up.

duke416ex
04-11-2005, 09:22 AM
Bout the piston, do you want to run $5 a gal race gas or just premium, of course it may be $5 in your area. I think port jobs are a good thing though, never hurts to atleast smooth things up. Rest of the stuff sounds good, if there's nothing fast in your area, you should have no trouble staying ahead.
Let me get this straight, you broke your back and you are mechanicing, I think I would be layin around watching tv for a few weeks.

NacsMXer
04-11-2005, 09:29 AM
I agree, go with the 13.5:1. Anything less and you'll be pretty dissapointed with the power increase. Of course you'll have to run race fuel, but hey, running leaded fuel is a whole lot better for your motor anyway ;) Don't forget you'll want to buy a HD connecting rod as well or you'll be sorry.

This is what happened when TC426EX was running a stock rod with a high comp piston. I'm sure the 450 rod is stronger and all, but I wouldn't take any chances with your hard-earned money.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid163/p33e4989434847bfd207bedaa98372364/f491651a.jpg

bbrad mulvey
04-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Ya I broke my back, fractures two of my vertbrate tore my ligiment(sp) in my chest and brused my right lung. the weird part is that I can walk, talk and do everything else. I just cant sit up strait or lift my arms above my heads. I also have a REALLY hard time breathing. Other than that I feal great.

Well If I am only paying 5 dollars a gallon that would be great. Because right now I currently run ultimate 4 and that is 11.71 a gallon here and it only 98 octane. It cost me a little over 60.00 bucks to fill up my gas can(5gallons).
What fuel should I run now VP?
As far as porting goes the guy that does my porting used to work for NASCAR and he designed the first molding for the AFR(airflow research). He took my bone stock 351 in my car and took the stock numbers of 240hp/320ftlbs at the fly wheel and gave me 273hp/374ftlbs to the rear wheels. he says he has tricks that he guarantee no one else knows and he is dieing to do the head on my quad :D

So do you think the stock rod will need to be replaced? Know what about as far as spark plugs?

TC426EX
04-11-2005, 03:29 PM
If youre gonna tear the whole engine down, a CLYMERS manual will come in very handy if its your first time around with this engine...

bbrad mulvey
04-11-2005, 10:35 PM
I have a body that went to MIT and is certified for everything, he is gonna help out a bunch so that will take away some of the error