PDA

View Full Version : Im pumped so im gonna share

LazeR
04-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Well i went to take a basic knowledge test today to see if i can get any scholarships for UTI "Universal Technical Institute" Well it was probably one of the hardest tests i have ever taken. 2 hours later and 200 questions later i was done. Now the part im pumped about was that i was also interviewed by the UTI rep and he said he would have no problem at all with me going there. So i enrolled, and should be getting my acceptence letter in about 2 weeks!!!!! I will start at UTI dec 12th!

sly400ex
04-10-2005, 11:14 PM
Good for you....follow your ambitions!!!:)

LazeR
04-10-2005, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by sly400ex
Good for you....follow your ambitions!!!:)

Yeah man i am so happy! On this booklet thing from UTI it says "Live your passion" i am going to be doing exactly that!!!!

2001400ex
04-10-2005, 11:25 PM
Cool man, I can relate.

A representative came to my school and was giving a speech, handed out some cards, etc. I filled out the card and it turns out my auto teacher gave me a "high recommendation" to UTI, I had planned on going to the one in P.A., so the rep. called me up and wanted to set up an interview with my parents, and said he'd like to meet me, and probably sign me up, etc.

I ran it through my parents, before I'd waste his time...but they didn't like the numbers you make as a technician. As a diesel technician; you only make something like $38,000 a year after you graduate their extended program.

I was considering going to MMA (Motorcycle Mechanics Institute) but they don't make as much as the auto technicians...and well, that's not enough money for me to support my hobbies and live comfortably.

I'm going to become a police officer though...better suits me, and I can make more money doing it.

LazeR
04-10-2005, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by 2001400ex
Cool man, I can relate.

A representative came to my school and was giving a speech, handed out some cards, etc. I filled out the card and it turns out my auto teacher gave me a "high recommendation" to UTI, I had planned on going to the one in P.A., so the rep. called me up and wanted to set up an interview with my parents, and said he'd like to meet me, and probably sign me up, etc.

I ran it through my parents, before I'd waste his time...but they didn't like the numbers you make as a technician. As a diesel technician; you only make something like $38,000 a year after you graduate their extended program.

I was considering going to MMA (Motorcycle Mechanics Institute) but they don't make as much as the auto technicians...and well, that's not enough money for me to support my hobbies and live comfortably.

I'm going to become a police officer though...better suits me, and I can make more money doing it.

With the program i am doing, im going to be making about $35-$45k a year, and about 6-7 years down the road i can easily be in six figures. Im going to try and get on with Porsche which is the hardest program to get on with, but im going to give it a try, and then i will start at around $60k a year or so and work my way up from there.

Pretty much cars are my passion and i want to do something i love, i got my chance so im going for it.

2001400ex
04-11-2005, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by LazeR
With the program i am doing, im going to be making about $35-$45k a year, and about 6-7 years down the road i can easily be in six figures. Im going to try and get on with Porsche which is the hardest program to get on with, but im going to give it a try, and then i will start at around $60k a year or so and work my way up from there.

Pretty much cars are my passion and i want to do something i love, i got my chance so im going for it.

Good man, I hope you do. You're going to love it there. I was told the "possibility is there" to make six figures, if I get a job with a good company. Cars are my passion as well...I love them, everything about them. I'm a technical guy, I love working with my hands, love taking engines apart, rebuilding things, whether it be a drill, or a car engine.

I don't want to risk not going to college and going to UTI on the chance that I have a "possibility" of making six figures. After school, and after five years of being an intern police officer, I will be making six figures, and will be able to retire at the age of 45, supporting my hobbies full force, and maybe even opening up my own garage after I retire, making an awesome pension as well.

Honestly; I wish I could go to UTI and college at the same time...I'm not very happy giving up UTI, but I've go to do what I've got to do.

LazeR
04-11-2005, 12:11 AM
Good man, I hope you do. You're going to love it there. I was told the "possibility is there" to make six figures, if I get a job with a good company. Cars are my passion as well...I love them, everything about them. I'm a technical guy, I love working with my hands, love taking engines apart, rebuilding things, whether it be a drill, or a car engine.

I don't want to risk not going to college and going to UTI on the chance that I have a "possibility" of making six figures. After school, and after five years of being an intern police officer, I will be making six figures, and will be able to retire at the age of 45, supporting my hobbies full force, and maybe even opening up my own garage after I retire, making an awesome pension as well.

Honestly; I wish I could go to UTI and college at the same time...I'm not very happy giving up UTI, but I've go to do what I've got to do.

yea man i understand that, im sure things will work out and you will get to work with cars :macho i just cant wait haha. and the tuition isnt that bad so im very stoked lol

2001400ex
04-11-2005, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by LazeR
yea man i understand that, im sure things will work out and you will get to work with cars :macho i just cant wait haha. and the tuition isnt that bad so im very stoked lol

Exactly! Their tuition isn't bad at all. That's why I was so interested in them...screw paying $30,000 a year to go to a college...it's not for me. I won't get the full experience there. I'd be wasting my parents' money.

You also get a $300 tool set after you graduate, and their workshops are soo clean and nice...:p

I wish I could go to both like I said...:blah:

LazeR
04-11-2005, 08:42 AM
You also get a $300 tool set after you graduate, and their workshops are soo clean and nice...:p

I wish I could go to both like I said...:blah:

lol you get a $1000 dollar tool set now, and you get all snap on tools half off ;)

DeerNuts
04-11-2005, 10:01 AM
After school, and after five years of being an intern police officer, I will be making six figures, and will be able to retire at the age of 45,

I didnt know that being a police officer pays so well. I know that the benefits are there, and your pension will truly be excellent, but I didnt know that you will be able to retire at 45.

You'll need to have good investments and a good retirement fund set up I assume?

Thats really cool though. If you wouldnt mind, could you explain to me how you are going to make that kinda money so that you can retire at 45? Like, what department will you be in to make that money while you are still in your 20's?

Good luck man, it seems like you have a good plan for your future.:cool:

300ex13
04-11-2005, 12:17 PM
good job!!! learn something!!;)

TheX1992
04-11-2005, 12:41 PM
As of right now I'm enrolled in UTI at Glendale Heights scheduled to start Aug 29. I am dropping out though. I took the Penske test in Illinois Feb 16. Yes it was one of the hardest tests that I've ever taken. The reason for me dropping out are:

Don't want to move

Can't see spending 26,600 and not being certified upon graduation

Going to local college here (www.cvtc.edu) for 6k and learning same courses (Snap-On tools 65% off instead of 50% off)

But don't let me change your mind. If you are willing to pick up and move to where they need you, this is your moneymaker. I'm not going to be moving anywhere though. So this isnt for me.

Honda400exrox
04-11-2005, 12:48 PM
lol im sorry this is off topic but ur post count says 1994 lol

LazeR
04-11-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by TheX1992
As of right now I'm enrolled in UTI at Glendale Heights scheduled to start Aug 29. I am dropping out though. I took the Penske test in Illinois Feb 16. Yes it was one of the hardest tests that I've ever taken. The reason for me dropping out are:

Don't want to move

Can't see spending 26,600 and not being certified upon graduation

Going to local college here (www.cvtc.edu) for 6k and learning same courses (Snap-On tools 65% off instead of 50% off)

But don't let me change your mind. If you are willing to pick up and move to where they need you, this is your moneymaker. I'm not going to be moving anywhere though. So this isnt for me.

haha you would in no way change my mind. I am more than willing to move and when i graduate i am most likely going to have them place more towards the east coast if not on the east coast, since i want to get out of Oregon and enjoy some other places. I will almost be ASE certified when i am done, and be really close to my master mechanics certificate.

LazeR
04-11-2005, 01:01 PM
To do what im doing in UTI, it would take from 3-8 years and im getting it in a year and a half.

2001400ex
04-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by DeerNuts
I didnt know that being a police officer pays so well. I know that the benefits are there, and your pension will truly be excellent, but I didnt know that you will be able to retire at 45.

You'll need to have good investments and a good retirement fund set up I assume?

Thats really cool though. If you wouldnt mind, could you explain to me how you are going to make that kinda money so that you can retire at 45? Like, what department will you be in to make that money while you are still in your 20's?

Good luck man, it seems like you have a good plan for your future.:cool:

Neither did I, until I talked to some. Apparently; the local town cops (who my father knows very well) are bringing in $92,000 a year as police offer, responding to calls and doing traffic stops, etc. No, it's not triple digits like I said earlier, but it was just easier for me to type "triple digits" as well. As stated, my father is great friends with a handful of police officers in my town; and he said that the State Troopers (I'm not sure if this is true) are pulling in even more than $92,000 a year.

I'm going to go to a local County College, then go take the tests, and go to school and get a degree in criminal justice, etc.

You have to be an intern for five years, then you start to get up in the $92,000 a year range. Right out of college I'm not going to be making that kind of money, I know that much. I was told that you have to put in 20 years, (it may have been 25, and I'm wrong) but it's one of those two...figure I am a police officer in two years, at the age of 20...put in 20-25 years and I'll be 45. I'm not going to do that though, I'm going to start later. Maybe around 22? Not sure yet, depends on school, etc.

As far as retirement, and investing goes; at this point...I have no idea! I'll work things out though, but at this point I'm more focused on the job, what I'll be doing, all that stuff. I'll be quiet now and let LazeR have the spotlight back on him, this thread isn't about me.;) :p

04-11-2005, 01:44 PM
My plan is to be a corrections officer at a prison, ill be staring off at 50k a year, and be able to retire at 38 on a sick pension. Ill take that pension money to help my construction business from 38+.

I didnt know that about cops, but now im definitely planning on looking into that now. I know state troopers make off like bandits, but they go through a boot camp to become a state trooper.

2001400ex
04-11-2005, 04:08 PM
Yeah, State Troopers have a lot more danger in their jobs also. Like you said, I'm sure their training is different also, I haven't looked into State Troopers as much as a regular police officer.

bansheeguy77
04-11-2005, 04:16 PM
Neither did I, until I talked to some. Apparently; the local town cops (who my father knows very well) are bringing in $92,000 a year as police offer, responding to calls and doing traffic stops, etc. No, it's not triple digits like I said earlier, but it was just easier for me to type "triple digits" as well. As stated, my father is great friends with a handful of police officers in my town; and he said that the State Troopers (I'm not sure if this is true) are pulling in even more than $92,000 a year.

I'm going to go to a local County College, then go take the tests, and go to school and get a degree in criminal justice, etc.

You have to be an intern for five years, then you start to get up in the $92,000 a year range. Right out of college I'm not going to be making that kind of money, I know that much. I was told that you have to put in 20 years, (it may have been 25, and I'm wrong) but it's one of those two...figure I am a police officer in two years, at the age of 20...put in 20-25 years and I'll be 45. I'm not going to do that though, I'm going to start later. Maybe around 22? Not sure yet, depends on school, etc.

As far as retirement, and investing goes; at this point...I have no idea! I'll work things out though, but at this point I'm more focused on the job, what I'll be doing, all that stuff. I'll be quiet now and let LazeR have the spotlight back on him, this thread isn't about me.;) :p

tell me what town this is cause im there. police chiefs, make that kind of money but not normal patrol officers. hell in nyc after 5 years they dont even make that. in time with seniority and promotions you can make a very good living. but not too sure bout joe schmoe patrol officer bringing that in. but yeah im starting school pretty soon for criminal justice as well and looking to get into the police force
the prob is, for some dept's you have to take a lie detector. which i read the questions they ask you in vegas, and yeah i would be buzzing alot.....