PDA

View Full Version : going to the dunes for 1st time and have ?'s

One_Bad_400
04-10-2005, 11:19 AM
i posted this thred in the dune section but no one is replying so i figured i might try it in here so more people see it

hey... im going to the dunes for the first time and im hiped:D ... and im coming from Memphis TN and i want to know where the best camp sites are at little sahara...

and i would also like to know if there are any camps or w/e that have rent a quads? becasue i dont really feel like taking my MX bike and the sand taring something up, and i dont want to rent a 250ex or something... something hi-perf... im thinking of taking my drag banshee and putting the stock swinger on it and the shocks back on but i onow if my dad will let me

thanks... and any tips and trick to do to a quad before you take it up there and why your up there... any info will help

oh ya... my friends had a piped 265R and the other one has a YFZ piped, open lid... and they need to know if they need to re jet or just leave that one in there

derekhonda
04-10-2005, 11:27 AM
uhhhh buy some paddles and take your banshee, easy decision

One_Bad_400
04-10-2005, 11:31 AM
ya but i was just thinking... i dont think my banshee engine was built to run a long time and that thing is a gas guzzler:eek:

i have a set of 4snows and i hurd them were good for sand... will there work?

derekhonda
04-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Well, I would, drag racing is a big thing in the dunes. I might also take another quad to ride around on. Put it this way, the worst thing that is gonna happen is you will get sand everywhere. After the trip, you will need to clean the filter, and replace carrier bearings and seals, possibly other bushings will get sand and crap in them too, will wear out the chain faster too, but i think you will enjoy it and consider the trip worth it.

honduh440
04-10-2005, 04:51 PM
ive been to little sahara a ton of times and us MX guys get bored of drag racing VERY fast. You will ride a ton of trails and have a blast i would bring your mx bike because the sand wont tear it up as bad as you have heard if any at all.

on the camping if its hot out try to get in the south camp ground where a lot of shaded campgrounds are but if its not to hot anywhere else is fine their really is no bad camping. i wouldnt recommend reserving a spot threw lsps website because its right where everyone drives cars,quads,bikes and all so it gets dusty.

One_Bad_400
04-10-2005, 06:53 PM
well i hurd it will dull out your plastics and i love my plastics i have on there now and dont want new ones... should i just run no rears and keep my fronts sense there already cut????

spud400ex
04-10-2005, 07:10 PM
it would take along time in the sand to dull your fenders. when are ya goin down to LS.

blue416ex
04-10-2005, 07:19 PM
none of thats true IMO i ride dune like condidtions EVERYDAY a sand pit by me and my fenders are fine and i dont need new bearings everyday like once every few years chain lasts about a year too just keep it lubed but i find that lubing them collects more sand on them try oiling the chain right after you ride when its hot to soak in more oil and then it should be fine for the entire trip and make sure all your cables levers perches and such are in perfect conditoin you dont want to be breaking a cable out there to ruin the trip ;)

honduh440
04-10-2005, 07:36 PM
yeah it will dull your plastics if you are in the dunes durring july and august everyday straight. it will not phase your plastics

TheFontMaster
04-10-2005, 07:58 PM
Take the MX quad. I ride sand pits all the time, and it doesn't affect anything accept maby the chain. And the sand also doen't really get the quad dirty. On days when I am just in the pitts and not the trails, I don't have to really clean it at all.

blue416ex
04-10-2005, 08:18 PM
dune bikes are easy cleaners:D and take both !!! the mx bike for jumping and messing around and if you want to be serious about the occasional drags take the shee they are mostly built for sand dragging well i havent evenheard of dragging anywhere else BUT the dunes bring it and drag it you will see how fast it is compared to another level of bikes and BUT PADDLES its a must for dunes IMO

One_Bad_400
04-10-2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by spud400ex
it would take along time in the sand to dull your fenders. when are ya goin down to LS. heading up ther around july 4th or like the 10th