PDA

View Full Version : Axle Lock Nuts

NVR2L8
05-13-2002, 10:46 PM
Okay, now I'm getting ticked!!! I'm in the process of trying to get the dang axle lock nuts loose, but they won't bust loose even though I'm using a 3-foot cheater pipe. I'm pretty sure I'm going in the right direction...turning the outer nut upwards towards the seat as if I was tightening it...but it just won't give. Am I going in the right direction, and if so, what are my options if I can't get them loose?

Blysster
05-14-2002, 09:26 AM
To take off the axle nut (the nut closest to the brake hub and swingarm) it goes down to loosen. You might want to use torch to it first to loosen up the loctite... now don't melt the thing, just warm it up some. Once you get the axle nut off it's a piece of cake...it should slide right out towards the left.

Oh yeah and don't forget to take that lock ring out, trust me the lock nut won't come off if you don't remove it, hehe

exriderdude
05-14-2002, 09:30 AM
dude, do you mean the outer nut towards the wheel, that goes down. i think the inner nut closest the the brake goes up, but im sure that the outer nut goes down! try beating it or torching it;)

Blysster
05-14-2002, 09:37 AM
Yeah maybe your right, I don't remember exactly. I thought it was the inner one but maybe not !?

If it still won't come off take the hacksaw to it and buy a new axle/lock nut, hehe

Evan
05-14-2002, 09:41 AM
Even though they are reverse threads you want act like you tightening the inner(closesest to swingarm) So I belive you should be going down

NVR2L8
05-14-2002, 09:46 AM
I was able to get everything apart last night... I finally figured out that the outer nut was jammed up against the lock ring just enough to make it a bear to bust loose...probably was like that since my dealer replaced my axle about 1 1/2 years ago. Anyhow, I was really shocked to see how much corrosion, dirt, sand, and junk that was inside the bearing carrier area after only a year.