PDA

View Full Version : help building a freestyle ramp

chaz#32
04-09-2005, 09:53 PM
hey i live in utah i built a wooden ramp that was 4 feet tall. here is a picture of me jumping a 40 foot gap on it. i wont to build another one that is 6 to 7 feet tall and i need some dimensions.

Juggalo
04-10-2005, 01:14 AM
wow..that ramp has to be one of the shoddiest i have ever seen! thats dangerous man! sorry...i dont mean to be a dick about it i just hate to see you get hurt ya know what i mean. wood ramps are a big no no..especially if they look like that!

Lefty
04-10-2005, 10:58 AM
:confused: I don't understand why people want wood on a ramp. This is your life why would you want to chance it? I've got a 7 ft wide ramp for sale it is about 3 1/2 months old it is see thru it is a comp ramp $1,650.00 if you are interested call me at 903-821-5619

hondaracer305
04-10-2005, 04:53 PM
Dont feel bad chaz, Juggs said the same thing about my old wood ramp :p . But i learned that wooden ramps arent worth it, and so will you once you get a metal ramp, dont get wood, this is coming from a person whos owned both types of ramps- take my advise or leave it.

Jason1
04-10-2005, 07:21 PM
that ramp actually isnt all THAT bad... and this is coming from a professional ramp builder, im more likely to down a ramp than support one.

thing ya gotta think of guys is alot of people dont have much money. steel is exepnsive to begin with no to mention added things like welding wire, gas, electricity, grinding wheels... and thats IF they could build one.. most people cant build a ramp so therefore have to buy one or have one built which costs more than buying one.

what are the left with ? .... a wooden one.

wood is cheap, easy to get, and fairly easy to work compared to metal. another thing is most people jump some shoddy **** in the wood.. whats the diff if they construct one from wood.

is it the right way to go about things ? probably not but then again who on this earth does everything right ? somewhere sometime we all do things half assed... weather its fixing a car, doing your job at work... or building a ramp.

i'd be more concerned about his riding style than the ramp..... this guy is a total newbie to jumping.. look at his style, all stiff, tight, and drawn back.. classic signs of inexperience. probably lands at 35 degree angles backwheels first. instead of standing up, loosening the body and leaning forward tilting the machine down to fit the landing.

skatrdude20
04-12-2005, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Lefty
:confused: I don't understand why people want wood on a ramp. This is your life why would you want to chance it? I've got a 7 ft wide ramp for sale it is about 3 1/2 months old it is see thru it is a comp ramp $1,650.00 if you are interested call me at 903-821-5619

If you dont want to chance your life then why do you ride quads? You chance your life everytime you ride a quad.Even if you do where all protective gear, it is still a VERY dangerous sport, in which you risk your life. JMO

Jake250r
04-12-2005, 06:20 PM
Yeah, as far as a wooden ramp goes, i'd just say do what you can out of dirt if you can't make it with steel. And he kind of does look like a stick drawing jumping, but everybody eventually loosens up and relaxes.

Juggalo
04-12-2005, 08:49 PM
i dont care what jason says..that ramp is dangerous! ive owned wooden ramps that were better built than that and they all broke.

Juggalo
04-12-2005, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by skatrdude20
If you dont want to chance your life then why do you ride quads? You chance your life everytime you ride a quad.Even if you do where all protective gear, it is still a VERY dangerous sport, in which you risk your life. JMO

so why add to the risk by jumping dangerous ramps? thats just stupid.

chaz#32
04-12-2005, 09:32 PM
so i take a chance jumping a wooden ramp. thats my choice.

i was just asking for some demensions for a 6 foot tall ramp, and i will make it out of metal i just need the demensions

hondaracer305
04-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by chaz#32

i was just asking for some demensions for a 6 foot tall ramp, and i will make it out of metal i just need the demensions

For 6 feet tall, i would make it about 14/15 ft long, not sure on how to give you dimensions for the arc, just cut the slits in the metal, get it bent how you like it and weld her up, thats what were doin on our trailer ramp, this thing is gonna be wild :)

btw, thats a nice sized gap your hitting man, keep it up, but do so on a safer ramp :blah:

Juggalo
04-13-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by chaz#32

think of it this way...you get hurt jumpin your ramp and die...its gonna be in the paper that you died on an ATV and its gonna make the entire ATVing community look bad just like everytime some idiot rides across a farmers corn field or some stupid parents let their 5 year old ride their sportsman 800 and they roll it over on top of themselves. it makes the whole community look bad because theres a lot of people out there trying to get ATV's banned and will use any excuse they can in the process

Fortman_400
04-15-2005, 12:22 PM
that wooden ramp would work IF you just pack dirt on the underside of it, this way if any of the wood gives its still got ground strong underneath it. this way all u can keep that 4 footer and still make ur bigger one.

Juggalo
04-15-2005, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Fortman_400
that wooden ramp would work IF you just pack dirt on the underside of it, this way if any of the wood gives its still got ground strong underneath it. this way all u can keep that 4 footer and still make ur bigger one.

then why not just jump the dirt? and whats the point of that when you would just have to pile all the dirt back up again when you wanted to move the ramp back and forth?

Fortman_400
04-16-2005, 12:36 AM
i didn't say to have the ramp be able to me moved...
and also keeping the wooden top would let u keep ur origial arc of the ramp, and the lip would never wear

Jason1
04-16-2005, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Fortman_400
keeping the wooden top would let u keep ur origial arc of the ramp, and the lip would never wear

exxxxxxxxxxactly. still many advantages to having that there

i didnt want to get more involved in this cuz quite obviously this isa touchy subject around here and its a stupid thing to argue over.

when you leave the ground on a ground-machine your already askin for trouble.... most people do it inapropriately, unprepared, undergeared, and do things over their head.... a wooden ramp is the least of anyones worries.

this will not change the price of tea in china... leave it go lads

bry400ex
04-16-2005, 12:09 PM
why dont you make a dirt jump

300extreme#8
04-17-2005, 01:31 PM
prolly b/c u can't move dirt,and if u do u have to start all over and make a whole new lip ,and it's not the same jump u started out with,and dirt jumps lose there shape after awhile,.ramps r portable,don't lose there shape,and give u more options

mxquadracer
04-17-2005, 07:35 PM
steel or nothing...not worth the risk. There is no "built-right" wooden ramp

Jason1
04-17-2005, 09:42 PM
im 99% against all wooden ramps. those 1% im tolerant of because of certain situations and they fit those situations.

ive seen a handful of wooden ramps that were very sturdy and very nice looking also.

NOW.................will they last as long as steel? no... they should be inspected often. and one thing i always see with wooden ramps guys dont do is ive never seen any angled pieces... angles give alot of strength. if those were added alot of the shadier ramps would be alot better.

but,... none the less ive still seen a FEW nice wooden ramps.

as said before... if alot of them had dirt added it works.. someone doesnt have much cash but want the benefit of a ramp. so they spend very little... get a wooden ramp. put dirt around it so they dont have to worry about it collapsing. they can still move it if needed.... it retains the transition, doesnt wear out.

theres still good that can come from a wooden ramp.... but only under certain circumstances.. 99% of the time they are dangerous as hell and should be avoided at all costs.

Sick0
04-24-2005, 09:39 AM
Well made a wooden jump at are SAND track..... Every time we made jumps out of the dirt, the lips would only last about 5 jumps before the jump started to rut up and flatten out...... So we made the lip of wood and packed it with sand/dirt to make it strong.....

04-24-2005, 07:30 PM
this is what our kicker looks like. This is my friend and he is about 6'2"

04-24-2005, 07:38 PM
this is a side view of what it used to look like b4 we cut it down.

04-24-2005, 07:40 PM
this is how high it was when we bought it. the guy standing next to it is 6' tall.

450 Racer R
04-25-2005, 04:03 AM
that metal ramp doesn't look any stronger than the wooden one. At least the wood one has more support to it.

Lefty
04-25-2005, 08:13 AM
Ya Kicker is about 3 ft short of being the right height.
METAL BEFORE WOOD!!!!!

SPONSORS:
BIG SAC RAMPS
LEFTY'S LANDSCAPING
EVS
IMS
KICKER
RENTHAL
SMITH
PRO X
DMC

WWW.QUADZOMBIEMX.COM

Jake250r
04-25-2005, 04:05 PM
Yeah welding in a few more braces along the side would do it some good. doesn't look that bad to me other than that. hell i'd jump it:D (after the braces... lol.)