PDA

View Full Version : Which year swingarm do I need?

stever250r
04-09-2005, 08:37 PM
I was told by the previous owner that this 87 frame was modded to use an 88-89 model swingarm.

I know that the 86 swinger uses the rear mount hole on the engine cases and the 88-89 doesnt. Which one do I need to get?

Also I know 88-89 shold remain standard length for MX. What about the 86 swinger....what length?

Thanks for the help

TheFontMaster
04-09-2005, 08:43 PM
Could you get a better pic of the inside of the frame, I can't tell if the mount is there for the 88/89 style. It doesn't look like it is. If you get an 86/87 swinger you want -1 1/4 inch.

stever250r
04-09-2005, 08:47 PM
I thought that picture did include all the mounts:confused:

Oh well here is another picture.

Thanks

TheFontMaster
04-09-2005, 08:51 PM
Ok that needs an 86/87 swingarm. Heres my 89 frame, you can see where the mount goes across the back of the frame, yours doesn't have that so ya need the 86/87 swingarm.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/thefontmaster/image001.png

stever250r
04-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Andrew,

Thanks for the help, but Im still confused. I see the picture of the bar you are talking about, but I thought that was for the rear shock/swingarm link. MIne is set up to run a no-link rear suspension so the stock link mounts have been removed from the frame.

I thought the swingarm mount was the two small moounts on the bar where your main swingarm bolt attaches? Im so lost... LOL

zedicus00
04-09-2005, 09:02 PM
you could still use an 88-89 style but you would loose that one mount. ive seen setups like that and they said it worked fine but ive never tried it. i would jus take it to a good welder and hav the piece put in as the money and headache u save getting a late model swinger as oppsed to an early style swinger that you want will be worth it.

TheFontMaster
04-09-2005, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by stever250r
Andrew,

Thanks for the help, but Im still confused. I see the picture of the bar you are talking about, but I thought that was for the rear shock/swingarm link. MIne is set up to run a no-link rear suspension so the stock link mounts have been removed from the frame.

I thought the swingarm mount was the two small moounts on the bar where your main swingarm bolt attaches? Im so lost... LOL

Are you looking at the bar that runs all the way across the frame, half way between the bottom and top, cause thats what I'm talking about, that alows for an 88/89 swingarm. The linkage bolts are on the bottom of the frame. The mounts for the swingarm itself didn't change, it was the motor mounts that did.

It's late and I'm just confusing myself now haha. Thats the best I can explaine it for now.

zedicus00
04-09-2005, 09:20 PM
hes right but like i said technically you could use any yr swinger. that fram is an early yr frame so it never had the mount back there. im talking in circles maybe i can do a better job in the morning. find sum pics of frames on ebay an you will c the difference. early yrs had a spcer with the mounts for the engine on it. later yrs had the rear engine mount on the frame.

250R-Dee
04-10-2005, 02:12 AM
My '86 frame is setup exactly like your frame. The rear lower mounts are added so an '88-'89 swingarm can be used. As long as the rear lower mounts are welded in straight you will not have any problem. Just make sure all of the other mounts are conncected and you shuldn't have a problem running without a rear upper mount.

So Zedicus is correct when he says any year 250R swingarm can be used with this frame.

If you use an '86-'87 swingarm and '86-'87 rear engine mount you will have to widen the lower part of the c-shaped mount so that it goes outside of the welded lower rear frame mounts or remove the mounts that are welded to the frame.