PDA

View Full Version : 400 EX electrical gremlins?

T.Hopp
04-09-2005, 08:06 PM
Brief explaination:
It won't start! Ha!
Battery is reading 12 volts.
Headlights wont come on but tail light does. Bulbs are good. Continuity checked out on switch.
Neutral light won't come on. Bulb is good! It is indeed in neutral! I am only getting 9 volts to the bulb though?
Starter solenoid won't activate. Pulled it off and bench tested it. It tested fine.
Pulled the starter and touched the lead to the battery and it tourqued out of my hand. It works.
I checked for continuity at the neutral switch by the shifter. It had continuity while in neutal and nothing in gear. This is good.
I switched the diode, cdi box, and regulator. No difference!
I am at a loss w/ what to do next. Any ideas?

CaliLifeStyle
04-09-2005, 09:57 PM
Without actually having the quad, the best I can do is give ideas and guess. I'm an electronic technician so maybe I can help ya out.

1. Do you know what voltage you are supposed to read at the bulbs? (I take it you have a multimeter).

2. Check all your grounds.

3. The method I would use is what techs call the halfway method. Since you have no neutral light or front lights, I would start with the front end of the quad.

4. Check all your wires to make sure none of them are exposed and touching the frame.

5. What kind of work did you do before this happened? Make sure the wires are connected right.

Let me know what you've checked and I'll keep guessing with you!