PDA

View Full Version : Hinson Baskets

shook
05-13-2002, 08:45 PM
Where is the cheapest place to get a Hinson clutch basket for a 400 ex.Im thinking about getting the basket and the inner hub and the pressure plate need the cheapest place to get them anyone know.THANKS and are there any clutch mods that you can do to a 400 ince I put this 425 kit together the clutch can no longer hold it the hotter the bike gets the more it fades away

Dave400ex
05-13-2002, 08:59 PM
Rocky Mountain Sells them for $190. That is the Cheapest I have seen.

ChadEXer
05-14-2002, 07:54 AM
Call Marcums!! He also has a Vortex basket that he says is just as good as hinson but cheaper!!

deansfastway
05-14-2002, 08:26 AM
AT LEAST PUT SOME SPRINGS IN . YOU MIGHT NOT NEED THE HINSON UNLESS YOU ARE RACING OR RUNNING SCAT TRAKS IN SAND.BUT IF YOU REALLY WANT A STRONG CLUTCH THERE ARE SOME 8 PLATE CLUTCH KITS OUT THERE THAT USE HINSIN AND 250 PARTS YOU ALSO NEED TO USE A .060'' OR SO SPACER ON THE RELEASE LEVER ON THE PRESS PLATE . TRY TO LOOK AROUND FOR WHAT IS IN YOUR BUDGET. WE HAVE HAD GOOD SUCESS WITH HINSON OUTER BASKETS AND CRYO TREATING THE INNERS AND USING HONDA PLATES WITH BARNETT MT79 SPRINGS. CRYOTHERM IS A PROCESS THAT COLD FORGES PARTS TO MAKE THEM STRONGER. LOTS OF TIMES WHEN I TAKE APART USED EXS IT LOOKS LIKE THE INNER HUB WEARS OUT THE FASTEST AND THE OUTER IS NOT ALL THAT BAD . WE LIKE HONDA PLATES BECAUSE THE OUTER TANGS ARE THICKER TO SPREAD THE SHOCK LOAD MORE EVENLY ON THE OUTER BASKET .SOME BARNETT PLATES ARE ACTUALLY THINNER WHICH TENDS TO GALL THE BASKET QUICKER. NOT TO PUT DOWN BARNETT BUT WHEN HINSON FIRST STARTED OUT RON HINSON HIMSELF TOLD ME THAT NOTHING STAYED TOGETHER IN A YZ125 LIKE STOCK PLATES STIFFER SPRINGS AND VALVOLINE 10/40 OIL AND HE WAS DOING THR R&D FOR TEAM YAMAHA (DOUG HENRY,JOHNDOWD,JEFF EMIG) AT THAT TIME. FASTWAY MOTORSPORTS

Dave400ex
05-14-2002, 04:18 PM
Man that is some Good Info. How would this Work, Hinson Basket, New Honda Plates, and some Heavy Duty Springs? Is there anything else that the 400 needs Replaced?

mrusk
05-14-2002, 04:38 PM
Vortex baskets are crap i hear.

This clutch info is the same stuff dean told me when he built my motor and i have no doubt it will work awesome for me or anyone for that matter.

matt

bama400ex
05-14-2002, 11:13 PM
man that was some great info, we need more people like dean on this board.

deansfastway
05-15-2002, 09:53 AM
CURTIS SPARKS , SPARKS RACING ENGINES has a good kit that uses all stock baskets & hub it has extra plates 8 it uses trx250 stuff , it holds up really well we have it in a few of our 425 motors and it really hooks. its cheap and easy to install but you might need to make a clutch lifter arm spacer washer (not in kit). We CRYOTHERMED the stock hubs & baskets and we feel this is a real good setup for the money . We know that our 425s are making @ 45 -50 hp so this is a good test . This is the same setup (less cryo) that SPARKS uses on his big motors. FASTWAY MOTORSPORTS/RACING ENGINES deanholonics@msn.com

ChadEXer
05-15-2002, 11:21 AM
Sparks uses the stock basket??? I could understand it being cryothermed may make it stronger but I would still be worried running it like that! I have a friend with a 416 and his stock basket exploded! It cost him about $500 to have it all fixed, new stock basket(for parts) and then a new Hinson installed!! I would be very worried with my 505 or any big bore that used the stock basket!! There are a lot of builders I talked to that say using the stock basket is usually fine but after seeing my friends I dont know. I made sure TC is putting the Hinson setup in mine just to be safe!!

deansfastway
05-16-2002, 10:46 AM
OH I dont know if SPARKS uses the stock basket ,but we did ,we just used his 8 plate kit. seems to hold up really well . FASTWAY

Dave400ex
05-16-2002, 04:09 PM
Sparks says to use the Hinson Basket.

deansfastway
05-16-2002, 05:41 PM
SOMETIMES WHEN I TAKE APART A WELL BEATEN EX IT LOOKS LIKE THE INNER HUB IS WORN MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE . I HAVE SEEN THEM WHERE THE OIL (good oil too} IS LITERALLY BURNED BLACK ON THESE INNERS BUT THESE GUYS PRACTICE A LOT IN SANDY NEW JERSEY PITS. GOOD LUCK FASTWAY