PDA

View Full Version : New pipe needed, Help Please! (RICO!)

mopar 400
05-13-2002, 08:13 PM
All right here is the deal, I have the bike at the shop right now, and it is time for a new pipe. I currently am running the FMF Powerbong headpipe with a White Bros E-Series slip on. I have had nothin but trouble with the E-series, and am lookin to switch over to another slip on. I have a 416 kit with a xr400 cam gettin put on as we speak, but I need a pipe by thursday. I am lookin at three choices, the Powercore IV, the Bills Thunder, or either An HMF slip on or if he makes it a Sparks slip on. I have heard good things about all of these pipes and can't decide which one.

What do you guys all thing, anyone runnin the 416 please help me!!!!!!! Rico you out there.... Hows the thunder??? Should I go with that or the FMF????? Got to order it tomorrow, what do I do???????????????????????????????????????????????? ????:huh

05-13-2002, 08:17 PM
I had a 406 with a HMF slip-on and it ran great. I recommend it, especially for that price.

05-13-2002, 10:26 PM
Whats wrong with the E-series? What kind of problems are you having? How old is it?

mopar 400
05-13-2002, 11:01 PM
Well to start, I have gone through three broken bolts, had to tap out two already, and have another one broken in the pipe right now. The anti sieze lube is not workin, so I know that is not the problem. I like the gains from the pipe, but I have played with the number of discs I run a few times, and every time I take them off the bolts want to break on me. I am lookin to get a pipe that just uses a screen spark arrestor and not any discs.

EX Fanatic
05-14-2002, 03:20 AM
I have the Powercore IV and I love it!!! ;)

yellowrider
05-14-2002, 04:02 AM
i hated my e series also it was not built for the 300ex that is for sure cause if i ever lost a wheelie i would lost the pipe....

not to mention that my bolts would not go in or less i stripped them in which i did cause i got ripped anyways so i rip my dealer off and just riged it

knighttime
05-14-2002, 07:32 AM
The FMF muffler u mentioned would be a good choice. Rico though got rid of his and now runs the Bill's Thunder Pipe. If noise is of no concern, I'd probably go with the Thunder pipe, just cause it's new.

I dont like the disk system cause I just wanna put on the pipe and not have to f around with it. Plus like u said the bolts get all screwed up anyway.

05-14-2002, 08:28 AM
Well all the pipes you mentioned are great..I had the powercore IV and it worked good but I went with the bills due to less restriction,,she's straight thru with no spark arrestor etc..and it's much louder than the powercore IV...I've read great reviews on the HMF pipe also I would run it on my 416. IF you race MX then go with the louder less restrictive pipes,,but if noise is a problem go with the powercore IV,,you won't go wrong with any of them.

400exBro
05-14-2002, 03:54 PM
just take the spark arrestor out of the wb pipe and be done with, a lot less restrition and louder as well. that is if you run mx, it is a nice loud throaty pipe and i fell it gives more low end than top, i am able to pull wheelies through all 3 gears, this is on a stock 400.
others words try LRD pipe they make awsome mx pipes for the 400.

Bro

05-14-2002, 04:11 PM
i have heard good things about all your choices. but never really had first hand knowledge. but i have heard nothing but good reviews about the hmf. but hay it is completley up to you

Smoker
05-14-2002, 04:31 PM
Get a turn down tip and run the E-series straight, see the pipes they are putting on the crf450's and the stock yzf pipe. It's the same thing. It sounds pretty good too, maybe not exactly like one of those beasts but not bad. :p

Dave400ex
05-14-2002, 04:37 PM
I would get the Bill`s Thunder Full Pipe.

Smoker
05-14-2002, 06:15 PM
The tip is only $30, if you don't like it put in the classifieds, someone will buy it. :p

velociraptor
05-15-2002, 05:58 AM
Sparks x-6 or Garydon Proline :devil

TRFOXX
05-15-2002, 10:18 AM
I like my FMF Powercore IV!

crashinmatt
05-15-2002, 10:28 AM
if u liked the white brothers, then y not a R-4. ithas a screen-type spark arrester and a straight thru design. it is i bit louder though. i like mine a lot.

400exRacerX
05-15-2002, 10:41 AM
I also had the WB e-series and hated it. The pipe always broke on me. I had to weld the bottom silencer mount 4 times. So I finally had enough with it and bought myself a complete chrome LRD system this past saturday.:p

If your gonna get a new exhuast you mine as well go for a complete system.

Norm

05-15-2002, 01:26 PM
Well, i love my E-series, but since i am hearing so much bad about it i might sell it and run the stocker for a while and buy a HMF, i dunno, i leave my e-series alone, i had a megamax on my old 250x and it striped hte damn bolts too, so my e-series is staying how it is

ChadEXer
05-15-2002, 01:34 PM
MegaMax is trash! I had one on one of my Foremans and it burnt a hole the size of a baseball right through the pipe!!!