PDA

View Full Version : Sparks X-4 packing

hondardr4life
04-09-2005, 11:30 AM
Well i ran into a problem. I just put my brand new sparks x-4 on. And it sticks out a little past the sissy bar. Well it had so much torque that it stood straight up when i hit the gas, and I got my pipe packed completely full of mud. SO i tore it all apart and the packing got destroyed, now I need new packing, so do I need to use sparks packing???? or can I use any kind of packing?

Also, is the packign that sparks uses made of asbestos???

2muchquad
04-09-2005, 12:02 PM
you can use any packing,i use the stuff from the hardware store that they use to wrap water pipes to keep from freezing during the winter.only like $4.just as good as the $12 moose or fmf packing:) man you should really use more throttle control as i highly doubt the increased torque caused your machine to get away from you,maybe a lapse in judgement on your part;)

hondardr4life
04-09-2005, 02:10 PM
I think what happened is that the tires were spinning when i was doing the doughnut, and when i started to go forward, they caught real quick. Ok, its good to know that I don't need to use curtis sparks packing. I was worried that I would have to order some, and that takes forever because sparks racign is in california. The only thing that I am wondering is, when i took the core out, the packing was in there so tight that it took some muscle to get the core out. And it was wrapped in some kind of thin casing, every other kind of packing (moose, FMF) I see is just the packing, not the casing or w/e was on the packing that was in my pipe.

cals400ex
04-09-2005, 03:41 PM
try to push the silencer on the header farther. my buddies pipe doesn't hit on his x-4.

you don't need sparks packing. i would actualy just get some silent sport packing. this is what i got because i have read it is one of the best. i think it cost me $12 if i remember correctly.

hondardr4life
04-09-2005, 04:27 PM
Mine is a 1 piece pipe, there is no place where I can push it on more. I am just going to go to the local dealer and pick up fmf or moose or whatever they have and pack it with that.

Norris3710
04-09-2005, 07:43 PM
i dont think it can be 1 piece because it will never make the bend around your frame, mine doesnt hit when i flip it up it might be stuck together from getting hot and cold,

hondardr4life
04-09-2005, 07:53 PM
No, it is definetly a 1 piece. It is also brand new, so it isnt stuck together from getting hot and cold. The only place you can take it apart is the 3 screws at the back of the muffler. The muffler can come off, but there is no head pipe that comes out of the muffler and when you do take out those 3 screwes it exposes the packign and the core and all that stuff.

Norris3710
04-09-2005, 07:55 PM
it slides togeather right behind the frame where the silencer and header meet.

hondardr4life
04-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Yes, but the whole silencer canister screwes onto the header with 3 screws, and when you take them off, the packign and core is exposed. Sparks used to make them 2 piece pipes, but just recently they changed the design to a 1 piece.

BTW, anyone with a sparks on your 300, did you have to relocate the rear brake fluid ressy. because the pipe hit mine when I put it on, so I moved it and wired it to the frame.

cals400ex
04-10-2005, 01:15 AM
hmmm... maybe sparks changed the design. on he 400ex that would not be a good choice because i don't know if you would be able to remove it if it was all one piece without removing some other stuff.

hondardr4life
04-10-2005, 06:58 AM
Yea, I am almost positive that they are a 2 piece on a 400, but it goes on and off my 300 easily all in one piece. I think they made them 1 piece systems to help prevent exhaust leaks.

Norris3710
04-11-2005, 04:47 PM
o i am sorry i thought you were talking about the 400ex

hondardr4life
04-11-2005, 06:15 PM
haha, thats ok man, I guess I should have specified what type of quad it was on.