PDA

View Full Version : Raced a YFZ

Blown 331
04-09-2005, 07:12 AM
Well me and a buddy went down to St. Joe state park near St. Louis MO. We each have a 450R. We both have an HRC kit, I have a Yosh full system and he has Curtis sparks.
Anyway, I saw a guy with a brand new YFZ pulled up, looked like it was off the showroom floor. I talked to him first. He had just gotten it 2 weeks ago and this was only the second time he had rode it. It was bone stock. I've had mine since January of 2004 so I have lots of riding experince on it.
My tires are stock and I ride on the road a lot so they are pretty bald. We raced on sand about 5 times and he put about 5 bike lenghts on me every time. We raced from a dead stop through 5th gear. Racing from a roll it was closer but he still was slightly ahead. I weigh about 175, he looked to weigh about the same.
Now the guy who was with me and a buddy that is looking to replace his 400EX both want YFZ's. So the guy with the 400 was wanting a 450R now he wants a YFZ and the other guy with the 450R wants to trade it on a YFZ. What have I done.
I will admit the 450R should make more power. Is it possible to convert a CRF motor to kick forward? Im looking at getting a 12 to 1 Weisco. I know the tires were a big factor but going from a 3rd gear punch wasn't much different. What do you guys think?

trx450Rrider
04-09-2005, 07:24 AM
u must not know how to ride your bike. a 450r with just a pipe and opened air box like mine smokes stock yfz's. if he was putting 5 bikes on you you do not know how to shift or something

Blown 331
04-09-2005, 07:30 AM
I thought that's what I was going to here. I think I can shift it pretty good. I can beat my buddy's 450R and he basically has the same mods as me but he weighs a bit more. I don't know what was up. This guy even had a stock pipe. I've spend about 2 hours on a YFZ that had some mods and I didnt' think it felt that fast.

Jersey450R
04-09-2005, 09:06 AM
w h o g i v e s a c r a p ! R i d e y o u r o w n q u a d !

If your not happy with the R, sell it and get a YFZ. Its as simple as that. I'm tired of people comparing the 2 quads. They are so evenly matched that it comes down to what you like to do with it. If you want to drag race all day, go buy a Banshee and mod the chit out of it and go race. If you ride soley motocross, go get a YFZ...(with extra padding in the seat of course). And if you like a quad that can do just about anything you want to do, STAY WITH YOUR 450R! :macho

Punk'd
04-09-2005, 12:01 PM
Dude I go down to st.joe all the time and I smoke yfzs...:huh
Maybe its your tires or something breaking loose in that sand and not getting anywere

Blown 331
04-09-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Punk'd
Maybe its your tires or something breaking loose in that sand and not getting anywere

I think it was mostly the tires, they are almost slick and his bike was brand new. That or I just can't ride. lol.
If you want to ride on the IL side of the river sometime let me know. I'm about 20 mintues from South County and my dad has a 40 acres woods with some nice hills and my uncle as a bunch of farm ground.

maxamillion
04-09-2005, 01:26 PM
do you let off the throttle some when you shift gears? if so try just keeping it hammered when you shift, ino it made me alot quicker.

chad502ex
04-09-2005, 01:56 PM
dont worry- the yfz can only be bores up to 510 (i think) and the trx can be bored up to 570

:macho

in the end the honda will win;)

Syrus
04-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by chad502ex
dont worry- the yfz can only be bores up to 510 (i think) and the trx can be bored up to 570

:macho

in the end the honda will win;)

Haahahah good point!

Mike545
04-09-2005, 07:12 PM
you guys need to chill out, take some midol, its just a post

450 grr
04-09-2005, 07:19 PM
weight has a goood deal to do with the 5 lengths if you out weighed the guy on the yfz by 50 pounds but with these quads its all about the rider and you not being scared to crack the throttle open

450 Racer R
04-09-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by maxamillion
do you let off the throttle some when you shift gears? if so try just keeping it hammered when you shift, ino it made me alot quicker.

keep the throttle wide open when you shift, just grab the clutch and kick it up a notch.

drider
04-09-2005, 08:36 PM
man, sounds like you lack riding experience, or the condidtion of your bike, YOUR TIRES> Cause dam man, u got a cam, piped all those goodies. let YFZ beat u by 5 quad lengths. i DOnt know. But you should of WON!! GEt some new tires or something, n show that yfz whos boss!!

Punk'd
04-09-2005, 09:33 PM
It has to be your tires man I had my stock ones on and they wernt all the way bald and I was slidding like a mother. So I went out and got some Razrs. They own! But yeah maybe sometime we can go riding me and my friend "250exridr" live in south county. Let us know bro

awj8074
04-10-2005, 09:17 AM
You were racing in sand with bald tires what did you think would happen? A 400ex or even a 300ex with good tires might of given you a run for you money. You were probly spinning the whole time.

Quad Dude
04-10-2005, 09:35 AM
its ok man my buddy just got a brand new 450r and i beat him with my ex on dry dirt and i have bald tires. maybe its the rider but its probably my motor especally since we were wide open

drider
04-10-2005, 12:52 PM
Man, it's 50% bike, 50% rider. SO if you lack in any you WILL loose to any bike. You can have all the mods in the world. All the power in the world. IF you have no power to the ground. Thats your tires. NO tires, power wont make it to the ground! So you need tires. And probably learn to ride better.. Or take out air in sand. if u race in sand leave like 2 lbs of air in your tires..

YFZ450Ridr
04-10-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Punk'd

amen to that randy, you have a 13t and smoked 2 yfzs both with pipes...

450R_lover
04-10-2005, 08:16 PM
My friend had a 04 yfz with a pipe, rev box, and k&N. The last time we raced before he totaled it, i beat him. Ive got hotcam stage II, pipe,K&N. He got a new 05 yfz like 2 weeks ago, and when i drag raced him while he was stock he could beat me by like 2 quads. This confused me badly. But then, he put on his pipe, rev box, k&N and rejetted and beat me by like 5-6 bike lengths... I just dont get it.???

thrasher_ex
04-10-2005, 08:22 PM
lol maybe yamaha is doin stuff to their quads that they arent telling us about just to confuse us

garett
04-10-2005, 08:52 PM
both are very nice quads , it seems yamahas is a lil faster outta the box tho , but were lucky to own either , or a toy in general , besides , i think the only race that its noticable is drags ? otherwise its all in the rider.!!!!

MSL
04-11-2005, 11:23 AM
I ride at St Joes all the time, Its a good place to have some fun:cool:

Good thing I wasnt there, you wouldnt have to worry about the YFZ's because you and your buddy would have been real confused when I beat you both on my 400EX:devil: :blah: :devil:
with 1/2 bald stock tires:D

Learn to ride them 450's

:eek:

garett
04-11-2005, 05:34 PM
:rolleyes:

Out_Sider
04-13-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by MSL
I ride at St Joes all the time, Its a good place to have some fun:cool:

Good thing I wasnt there, you wouldnt have to worry about the YFZ's because you and your buddy would have been real confused when I beat you both on my 400EX:devil: :blah: :devil:
with 1/2 bald stock tires:D

Learn to ride them 450's

:eek:

o please.. you sound like that 3 wheeler guy off of heuvos 3.. :rolleyes:

dober250R
04-13-2005, 12:21 PM
what size is your rear sprocket? Gearing has a lot to do with it also. I think the 13 tooth is hurting you. Try a 14 tooth, and get rid of those heavy razr's, drop down to an 18 inch tire, and u should beat him out of the hole.

blue416ex
04-13-2005, 01:09 PM
my 416 beats both but i dont know why you lost and the yfz won i think it may have ben spiining the tires in the sand the whole way down thats what mine will do sometimes so i went down on the rear sprocket and it stops spiining them at about 3rd full throttle then i pull away hard try that it should work if you dont have the 200$ for new rear tires and rims just my opinion

garett
04-13-2005, 02:52 PM
dude this is gettin lame!!!!!!! sheesh you beat both eh? hell maybe i should trade my R for a 416 ex then , so i can beat everyone , wtf end this dumb post

blue416ex
04-13-2005, 03:00 PM
il get vids this weekend maybe if i remember and figure out how to get them onto my computer :confused: youll see me whoopin them BOTH by a few bikelengths:rolleyes:

garett
04-13-2005, 03:06 PM
well good for you bud , im sure there are many vids of 450r's smokin 416's too , im done with this post , like i said its gettin pretty lame , i know your 416 is prob very nice , but you dont blow away all 450r, and yzf's , if you did everyone would want to buy a 400ex and make it a 416 , cmon man wake up

blue416ex
04-13-2005, 03:13 PM
noone is making u look at this thread :rolleyes: and im not saying my bike is fastest out there i justs stated that i "can" beat them but im sure you will disagree with that too man grow up a bit there isnt a need to flip over someone stating they "can" beat the 450's with an ex :ermm: :rolleyes:

garett
04-13-2005, 03:21 PM
im 30 years old , and im not pissed , its ok that you can beat them , and like i said im sure a r can beat a 416 bud .... thats all ,

TRX450R014
04-13-2005, 06:34 PM
If the 450's were stock or only very slightly modded it may be possible to beat them.I like the 400ex.I owned an '01 for 3 years and a buddy of mine had one with 440 kit ,stage 2 cam,rev box,12.1 piston,k/n filter,fmf full pipe.It was fast but still slower than my 450r with just hrc kit.I am not denying you beat them but in most circumstances even a modded 400ex will lose to both 450s.

Either way 400ex vs 450r=whoever wins
honda lovers win
400ex vs YFZ450=If you beat it we win again..yeah!

garett
04-13-2005, 08:13 PM
well put buddy , i had a 03 400ex modded to heck , i loved her and miss her , my bud has a ex440 fast as heck , i love hondas .... and im just plain ol happy i am fortunate to own a nice toy .

04-13-2005, 09:47 PM
Double clutch it!!! Whats the matter with you guys. You dont have to keep it pinned just hit your shift points properly and double clutch it.

New450r
04-14-2005, 03:22 PM
You need new tires I raced one and he beat me the first time and I chewed him the 2nd time it all had to do with traction we raced on gravel and mine was stock at that time with no HRC

aci clay
04-14-2005, 05:40 PM
when are all you red riders gonna admit that the blue crew has got the best 450 going right now. sometime down the road i'm sure someone else will but right now it's yamaha. can't imagine dumping a bunch of money in an ex just to make close to either 450.

garett
04-14-2005, 06:23 PM
i like the yamaha , its very nice , i bought a honda because i like them , all in prefrence, they both are neck n neck in the mx races , comes down to the RIDER.

Out_Sider
04-14-2005, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by gotcam?
Double clutch it!!! Whats the matter with you guys. You dont have to keep it pinned just hit your shift points properly and double clutch it.

easy there diesel.... :rolleyes:

MR.BIG
04-15-2005, 08:09 AM
THE YAMAHA IS NICE BUT IT WON'T LAST AS LONG AS HONDA. HONDA IS BUILT BETTER AND IT ALWAYS HAS BEEN.

devil6
04-15-2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by gotcam?
Double clutch it!!! Whats the matter with you guys. You dont have to keep it pinned just hit your shift points properly and double clutch it. Can you please explain this technique? Last i knew double clutching was for downshifting racecars and big rigs.

chad502ex
04-15-2005, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by devil6
Can you please explain this technique? Last i knew double clutching was for downshifting racecars and big rigs.

yea, i think he is referring to "fanning" the clutch

MR.BIG
04-16-2005, 09:56 AM
AS FROM WHAT I AM SEEING IS THAT ALL THE YAMAHA'S AND SUZUKI'S ARE LOOKING AT THE BACK OF TIM FARR'S MACHINE.

Out_Sider
04-16-2005, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by MR.BIG
AS FROM WHAT I AM SEEING IS THAT ALL THE YAMAHA'S AND SUZUKI'S ARE LOOKING AT THE BACK OF TIM FARR'S MACHINE.

looks to me that everyone is lookin at the back of Natalies 450r.. and they will keep lookin at the back of it :macho

cals400ex
04-20-2005, 07:30 PM
i was a few weeks away from getting a 450r, but now i am scared. i could still get a yfz but i am a honda man and like their quality. i have a 426ex and i have never raced a 450r. i have raced two bone stock yfz's and i pulled on both of them. we switched riders with the same results. we raced from 1st to the middle of 5th gear. however, it was weird because one of the yfz's was noticable quicker than the other. one i didn't have a problem beating and the other i slowly pulled. i have raced two yfz's with slip ons, filters, and jetted and they both pulled on me probably 1 bike length per gear. i have a feeling a 416 that is built somewhat decent should take a stock 450r, but that is a guess. i plan on putting a cam, piston, pipe, jets, and filter on it in order to pull away from my ex. i just don't want to get this thing and get smoked by yfz's. i do mainly drag racing for fun. so i don't want to run race fuel or not have a reliable bike. i do ride at high rpms and high speeds a lot.

i have ridden at st joes before too.

DirtDevilBT
04-21-2005, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by aci clay
when are all you red riders gonna admit that the blue crew has got the best 450 going right now. sometime down the road i'm sure someone else will but right now it's yamaha. can't imagine dumping a bunch of money in an ex just to make close to either 450.

When a YFZ's OTD price is 1000-1200 dollars more than an R, it had better be good.

FCR carb and 11.9 compression has nothing to do with it.:p :D

bad01300ex
04-22-2005, 03:37 PM
I wish people would stop arguing about which 450 is better. Anything will last if you take care of it, and as far as the Pro racers go, they are going to ride with whoever pays them the most money, im sure farr would win just as much on a YFZ.

Also, if you ask which one is better in the r threads, of course people are going to say the R! and if you ask in the YFZ, then people are gonna say yamaha if better, ITS RIDER ABILITY AND PREFERANCE! Of course Honda is known for reliability, but im sure the YFZ could be just as relaible if you take care of it.

There should be a sticky that says neither of the machines are better, its your own personal preferance, plus what mods and your ability.