PDA

View Full Version : I know this is random but does anyone know if...

Honda400exrox
04-08-2005, 10:23 PM
Me and my friends wanna buy some sodium because our science teacher said we could empty out a big pond with just a pound of it, but on ebay all we can find is sodium mixed with stuff, will it still work if it is mixed with something?

JUSTINcredible
04-08-2005, 10:57 PM
just wondering but why would you want to empty out a pond??

Why not a whole lake?:blah:

04-08-2005, 11:45 PM
isnt sodium salt? or is is sodium chloride?:confused:

quadryder
04-09-2005, 05:25 AM
naa, im in chem this year and sodium is Na and salt is NaCl (sodium chloride like you said) but ive seen video tapes in chem when you mix Na and Cl and it looks like fireworks going off (very cool):D

TGW_400ex
04-09-2005, 06:59 AM
I Know what your talking about Pure sodium and Water cumbust a little. My chem teacher showed us a movies of him throwing it into a pond. It wont empty a lake though? I dought your going to find it. Its too dangerous to just sell on ebay.

underpowered
04-09-2005, 08:03 AM
get some potassium. Throw a pound of that into a lake and watch what happens. You can do all kinds of cool stuff with chemicals in pure form, but be careful because they can also be very dangerous. Potassium will make the water burn. Also cesium will make the water explode. Chemistry can be fun. did you know common household flour can be exploseive? It is a hydrocarbon just like gasoline and when in a vapor form willl explode.

chucked
04-09-2005, 08:07 AM
lmao dont know know what happens when u mix sodium and water??

Honda400exrox
04-09-2005, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by chucked
lmao dont know know what happens when u mix sodium and water??

sodium and water combust, and our science teacher told us about this other science teacher that took his class to a pond on his property and threw a pound of sodium in the pond and the pond water litterally exploded and all the water came out lol, does any one know where you can find pure sodium without haveing a licsense of some kind?

250xridamatt
04-09-2005, 09:56 AM
I suggest going to talk to your teacher or something. They get all these catalogs in which they must buy all their chemicals, and if your teacher is cool enough, he might give it to you. We put just a tiny peice in a glass beaker, and the explosion was big enough that it shatterd the glass. Good thing we did it inside this case, so no one died. My teacher also does a thing where he puts powder in his hand, then lights a match and sticks it between his fingers. You move your hand down really fast, and the powder will light and shoot flames a couple feet out. Last week he came right in front of me and did it like a foot in front of my face. Scared the crap out of me.

TGW_400ex
04-09-2005, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by 250xridamatt
I suggest going to talk to your teacher or something. They get all these catalogs in which they must buy all their chemicals, and if your teacher is cool enough, he might give it to you. We put just a tiny peice in a glass beaker, and the explosion was big enough that it shatterd the glass. Good thing we did it inside this case, so no one died. My teacher also does a thing where he puts powder in his hand, then lights a match and sticks it between his fingers. You move your hand down really fast, and the powder will light and shoot flames a couple feet out. Last week he came right in front of me and did it like a foot in front of my face. Scared the crap out of me.

You actually think a chem teacher would let you order that stuff:rolleyes:

TGW_400ex
04-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by underpowered
get some potassium. Throw a pound of that into a lake and watch what happens. You can do all kinds of cool stuff with chemicals in pure form, but be careful because they can also be very dangerous. Potassium will make the water burn. Also cesium will make the water explode. Chemistry can be fun. did you know common household flour can be exploseive? It is a hydrocarbon just like gasoline and when in a vapor form willl explode.

Doesn't potassium make a bigger compustion then sodium? I forget which is stronger.

Honda400exrox
04-09-2005, 12:11 PM
potassium catches on fire when put in water

Tommy 17
04-09-2005, 12:22 PM
we bought a few hundred feet of magnesium strips and lite them on fire one night in town... it burned so bright it stopped traffic on 219 for 10 mins because noone could see to drive:o

Hondadudeehhhh
04-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
we bought a few hundred feet of magnesium strips and lite them on fire one night in town... it burned so bright it stopped traffic on 219 for 10 mins because noone could see to drive:o

haha thats so awesome. My teacher had like an inch strip and that lit up the front of the class room... 100ft?????????????????

kamikaze_rzrbak
04-09-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
I'm surprised no aircrafts crashed from being blinded by that ****:blah:

Tommy 17
04-11-2005, 03:04 PM
yeah noone told us it burned THAT bright!!!! it was only like 1/4 inch wide but it was on this big long roll... once it started there was no stopping it... we didn't know haha:p

zephead400ex
04-11-2005, 03:23 PM
At Little Sahara, OK. you used to be able to take out magnessium cases from VW and light them on fire....elfuago!:D

ballisticpb
04-11-2005, 05:07 PM
zephead400ex At Little Sahara, OK. you used to be able to take out magnessium cases from VW and light them on fire....elfuago!

the used to happen at sand mountain NV used it to light the race hill.

QuAdEr 317
04-11-2005, 05:35 PM
where can you get that stuff tommy

blaster_rider68
04-11-2005, 05:42 PM
you can find anything and everything you need here(from plans on how to make fireworks and stuff to the chemicals needed.

www.unitednuclear.com