PDA

View Full Version : stock frame hold up to mx racing?

bad01300ex
04-08-2005, 02:02 PM
Well im lookin for a good race ready r, and i know i t would be better to find one with an aftermarket frame, but then again i really wouldnt NEED it, im wondering if i start racing on a stock frame, am i gonna see alot of cracks ect? with these things being nearly 20 years old, surely the frame wouldnt be able to take too much, what do u guys think/know from experience? should i do that, or save up and get a stock yfz and have no money for anything else?

zedicus00
04-08-2005, 02:10 PM
you would be suprized what a 20 yr old stocker will hold up too, especially the stronger 86 frame. and if you hav good aftermarket shocks and dont bottom anything out when jumping you will b fine for a while. get the frame gusseted and an aftermarket swinger an you would be set.

QuadRacer041
04-08-2005, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by bad01300ex
Well im lookin for a good race ready r, and i know i t would be better to find one with an aftermarket frame, but then again i really wouldnt NEED it, im wondering if i start racing on a stock frame, am i gonna see alot of cracks ect? with these things being nearly 20 years old, surely the frame wouldnt be able to take too much, what do u guys think/know from experience? should i do that, or save up and get a stock yfz and have no money for anything else?

dont even waste your time with a stock frame unless your a welder.youll be repairing quite often.

JTRtrx250r
04-08-2005, 03:48 PM
Im w/ both of these guys..

If you dont weigh alot, or ride intermediate to pro, you might be ok, but the harder you ride... the easier you'll break it.

On the other hand.., I got a buddy about 200lbs that can get w/ it pretty good.... hes busting out his welder once a month haha

bad01300ex
04-08-2005, 10:22 PM
well i weigh 130 and ive never raced before, not saying i cant ride, but iv been on a track once with a 300ex, and it was a crappy track.

E-ATV-Racing
04-09-2005, 09:21 AM
I race on a stock frame bike, and yes I have had to do a little welding. Mostly on the motor mounts. Any ways I think they hold up just fine as long as you keep the rubber down and the frame off the ground. By the way I weighed in at 220 and the frame hit the ground alot. I have slimed down to 185 and have better shocks now. It has been a long time since I last use the welder.

Tom TRX250R
04-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Unless you are running stock or ****ty shocks you will be fine. I have Works on front and Ohlins complete rebuild on rear. I weigh 200lbs and jump the **** out of my 86 R with no problems. I have never had any cracks except for the ol' motor mount on the left side. The 86 frame was the strongest year frame due to factory gussets. The frames are a lot stronger than you think.

Eddiesanders250
04-10-2005, 12:00 PM
ya i weigh 130 and i dont see how guys break the frame. maybe cus theyve got 60 lbs on me. but i dont think you need to worry about it if you weigh 130.

zedicus00
04-10-2005, 01:16 PM
avoid casing it on yur landings and keep it rubber down. frame should hold up good for a while.

Jake250r
04-10-2005, 07:18 PM
All i've had to weld is the left rear motor mount, and i jump alot, and have Stock shocks. (only because i'm still savin for elka...) and i weigh 155. And since the frame is over 18, it makes it legal to **** around on. :o