PDA

View Full Version : Sub Problem

TGW_400ex
04-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Alright I had only one sub in my truck. I know my amp is too big for it its a JBL1200.1 and my subs are 400w rms audiobahns. Well when I turned it up it started cracking then the sub stoped working. So I fiugred I blew it up. So I ordered a new one and now I have 2 new ones and its doing the same thing. It's not nearly as loud as just have one in?:huh I don't have any idea what wrong?

Scro
04-08-2005, 03:15 PM
what type of enclosure do you have?

zedicus00
04-08-2005, 03:42 PM
dual voic coil? single voice coil? mono block d-class amp? series or parellel? amp out or using the rear channel? all other speakers still sound good or no? not blowing anny of the fuses to the amp hav you? anny humming noise or feedback to the subs? basically we need mo info.

TGW_400ex
04-08-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by zedicus00
dual voic coil? single voice coil? mono block d-class amp? series or parellel? amp out or using the rear channel? all other speakers still sound good or no? not blowing anny of the fuses to the amp hav you? anny humming noise or feedback to the subs? basically we need mo info.

Yes dual voice coil, I'm not sure, I'm not sure, Yes, Yes, No, Yes

TGW_400ex
04-08-2005, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by bama450r
what type of enclosure do you have?

Do you mean like ported or not ported?
My boxes aren't ported and there in indiviual boxes

crux131
04-08-2005, 10:38 PM
Find out how the voicecoils are wired, so we can determine what impedence the amplifier is operating at. This will effect the amps overall output.

You may have simply turned it up too much. An amplifier with more poweer than a speaker is designed for, doesn't always mean death to the speaker, but you can't get crazy with the gain or volume.

The speaker will have the same mechanical limits, but the power to kill it always on tap.

Also, is the box designed to Audiobahns specs? If it is too small or too big, the speakers suspension will be stressed to much.

If everything was in spec, you may need to lay off the volume control, or turn the gains down until you can afford higher end subs with greater power handling.

TGW_400ex
04-09-2005, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by crux131
Find out how the voicecoils are wired, so we can determine what impedence the amplifier is operating at. This will effect the amps overall output.

You may have simply turned it up too much. An amplifier with more poweer than a speaker is designed for, doesn't always mean death to the speaker, but you can't get crazy with the gain or volume.

The speaker will have the same mechanical limits, but the power to kill it always on tap.

Also, is the box designed to Audiobahns specs? If it is too small or too big, the speakers suspension will be stressed to much.

If everything was in spec, you may need to lay off the volume control, or turn the gains down until you can afford higher end subs with greater power handling.
I ran the speaker wire to one side then took another piece and ran it from that side to the other side. I had a different amp before this one and these subs would hit alot harder. I don't know if the boxes are the right speces I bought them from Wal-Mart.

duke416ex
04-09-2005, 09:01 AM
Run both pos from one speaker to the pos on one channel and both neg to that channel, do the same for the other sub. See what that does, wat kind of amp are you running now? Some speakers don't do very well in ported enclosures.

Scro
04-09-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by duke416ex
Run both pos from one speaker to the pos on one channel and both neg to that channel, do the same for the other sub. See what that does, wat kind of amp are you running now? Some speakers don't do very well in ported enclosures.

this is not very good advise since you dont know the impedance of the speakers, good way to fry an amp

TGW_400ex
04-09-2005, 10:44 AM
I found the problem I had a loose power wire. I still can't crank it without the subs cracking but I'm thinking its because the amp is too big? They still are pretty loud for how cheap I got them:D

Fender Bender
04-09-2005, 11:41 AM
Can't tell you enough, DO SOME RESEARCH AND LEARN.

You will be soo much better off! If you don't even know how your woofers are wired, or even what kind of amp you have, you shouldn't even own a car stereo because your bound to fack something up, and cost yourself more money in the future.

Just take some time out of your days to research. Here are a couple of helpful sites:

http://www.bcae1.com - All you ever need to know.
http://www.the12volt.com - Calculators, etc.
http://www.caraudio.com/vb - Forums

SGA
04-09-2005, 02:59 PM
12 inch subs are my favorite.

I get mine with mayo, lettuce, tomato and cheese.