PDA

View Full Version : haulers, taller haulers?

EricB
05-13-2002, 06:32 PM
ok i searched to try and find a review on the hauler paddles. i've heard that they are the best for hill climbs and drag racing, how well do these preform on the trails? i would guess since their huge paddles that they would be good for both of those. also i was reading somewhere on the forums here, someone was talking about how it was hard to pitch the bike sideways on sand with certain types of paddles. i don't exactly understand how it would be hard but i'm guessing the haulers would be hard to pitch sideways since their just straight paddles. so would these be good paddles for doing mostly hill climbs and some trails? or is there something better?

i deleted my other thread it was in the wrong place, also what about the taller haulers. how well do they preform vs your standard straight paddle?

thanks to deathbringer i do have some more insight on how certain paddles prefrom hehe.

out4sand
05-13-2002, 07:14 PM
Hauler paddles are probably the best all around tire for dune riding. The number of paddles and size of the tire will depend on the type of quad and amount of power you have. Most of the "real" drag racing people will be running 22" haulers with at least 10 paddles.

I have a set of 20x10x10 8 paddles on both of my quads and they work great. I would say that is probably the most common size and the are run by the majority of the people in the dunes with basically "normal" quads. You should have no problems pitching the bike sideways or turning for that matter. I have never had any issues running the straight paddles. The "v" style paddle being better for turning and such is somewhat of a misconception in my opinion. Every buddy that I ride with that had those style tires have switched to standard haulers and a set of sand front tires. Where they ran into some issues was climbing the larger soft dunes. It was almost as the "V" sort of would fight itself pushing the sand into itself and they were unable to climb some of the tougher climbs and when racing on the flats and they were always slower with compairable bikes other then the tires.

I have ridden banshee's with taller haulers before (just a larger/taller paddle) and it is amazing how much more sand it throws! Most people with banshee's would prefer to add to the number of paddles then run a set of taller haulers but I think you could set a quad up to run either and be very happy with it. I am hoping to try a set out this Memorial day weekend on our 4ooex because I have herd that they run really well on a built 400 due to the amount of tork they have. If I do get a chance to throw a set on, I'll let you know how they work.

www.out4sand.com (http://www.out4sand.com)

PDunes300ex
05-13-2002, 09:53 PM
I have a set of 23" 10 paddle haulers mounted on itp Magnum billet rims plus some smooth buffs on the front mounted on magnums that i am looking to get rid of. They are in great shape i just want smaller rims and tires for my little 300ex. The magnums are 12X7 so plus 23"haulers they give great ground clearance...bite...and appearance.

TAKING OFFERS

retail around $650:D

JOEX
05-13-2002, 10:23 PM
In my opinion, the V-paddles are easier to slide. I found this out for sure recently. I have 20x10x10-8 straight paddles on my 400 and a couple of weeks ago at Sand Lake I rode a couple of friends 400's with V-paddles.
The V's were almost too easy to slide for me. It's probably because i'm used to my straight paddles and I was using more body english than neccessary with the V's.
I think i'll stick with the straight paddles because I like the extra security of being able to hook up in the sand when needed.
Also, we ride the trails most of the time at the dunes.

Joe

Chef
05-13-2002, 10:44 PM
I think they stopped making Taller Haulers and replaced them with a tire called "Extreme Grip", same blade height as the hauler but reinforced. You can have Skat Trak make any tire you want for a certain amount of cash. They can make up to 14 paddles on a 20 inch tire, but only the highest horsepower drag banshees would even want those. With 8 paddles on my 400, I can do donuts in the sand, and powerslide great. The attached pic is just about what happens with my 400 when I feel like doing it. But, then again, you probably dont have so much crap as I do...

My EX blows a set of 8 paddle haulers all over ****, sideways out of the hole, but it is possible to get a TON of wheelspin. Haulers are the best all around tire I think, and well worth the money. If you are going to buy a molded tire like the sand skate 2, keep your money until you can get a vulcanized tire like the skat trak line up, your stock tires will work about like a molded straight paddle...

This is what happens with my bike when I want it to \/

EricB
05-14-2002, 04:05 PM
ok some people say you can't slide arround and stuff on straight paddles. but then some of you say that its way easy, is this possibly dependant on how comfortable you are with swingin' arround the rear end? or how much experince or controll you have over your bike..hmm i think that i'll probably just go with straight paddles for the extra traction, and if they don't slide at all i guess i'll have to sell them and get some Vs. thanks for the info guys.

kid300ex
05-14-2002, 05:11 PM
anyone ever tried the gliders? I might get them for the 300, but i'd like to make sure i aint wasting money...

Chef
05-14-2002, 06:52 PM
Just get some 8 paddle haulers kid300ex. The gliders are used on LT80's and Fourtrax 90's, not enough bite for a 300, unless you get alot of paddles...

PDunes300ex
05-14-2002, 08:42 PM
Get straight paddles no matter what. You don't want too much slide in the dunes anyways. With the haulers you can still pitch it sideways then fly past the guy with the V paddles while he is crooked still searching for traction. Haulers are completely the right choice no matter how much they cost.

PS. SOMEBODY BUY MY RIMS AND TIRES!!!:D

oldnumberseven
05-15-2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by PDunes300ex
Get straight paddles no matter what. You don't want too much slide in the dunes anyways. With the haulers you can still pitch it sideways then fly past the guy with the V paddles while he is crooked still searching for traction. Haulers are completely the right choice no matter how much they cost.

PS. SOMEBODY BUY MY RIMS AND TIRES!!!:D

I "PM'd" you!

C:devil