PDA

View Full Version : LT80 upgrade

smr
04-08-2005, 06:40 AM
My son has been racing in the stock class for a couple of years. He is really starting to dominate at our local mx track. I decided to move him up to the modified class. I bought a header but have not done anything else. I have the motor took apart and was gonna have it bored out. I have also heard you can do some clutch mods to help out. What about converting to premix? Will that help with performance? What do I need to do to remove the electric starter and git rid of the heavy battery? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

ss440ex
04-08-2005, 10:10 AM
These are questions you need to ask Jack..aka (lt80)
He`ll fix ya up!

LT80
04-11-2005, 07:58 AM
Boring gives very little gains.
Porting is where rpm's/HP is made.
You need to stop and educate yourself on LT80's before you waste a vast amount of $$$.
Going to Pre-mix is a good thing for long term as the pump will quit someday and cause a failure. It's not a performance thing.
Clutch mods are not done till there is a motor to push them.
Whether me or someone else builds your motor, have one person do it so the motor and clutchs work together.
So what pipe did you get?

smr
04-11-2005, 06:35 PM
DG pipe

I have replaced the clutch in the past but I put it back stock.

I currently have the motor apart as he has broken an engine case. (this is the third one....we are averaging about one a year)
This will be his 4th year of racing and we have always ran the stock class.

The motors are simple to work on but I have no idea of the proper way to up grade.