PDA

View Full Version : gti or si

bansheeguy77
04-08-2005, 04:22 AM
im in the process of buying a new car but i am having problems. i like the civic si (its actually sitting my my gargage right now, overnight test drive :D ) but i also like the gti 1.8t. the gti would be about 60 bucks a month more but it is fully loaded with leather, heated seats and such. i dont really need them so thats not going to make up my mind.

does anybody have any input as to reliability and or problems with either cars? that is going to make up my mind. i had a 93 cavalier that i paid 2 for but put 4k into it in repairs in 2 years. so i dont what that again. i have been researching and on vwvortex the thing most members said was that the gti's water pump almost always goes between 40-60k which scared me. havent found anything else on it yet. i searched the civic but i have yet to find a common problem with them. so any input would be helpful, thanks :macho

MOFO
04-08-2005, 04:28 AM
GTI, no questions asked.

I currently own a 2004 GTI 1.8T 5spd, loaded. FUN CAR TO DRIVE! Damn thing gets 28-30mpg, but really pulls good for a stock car. For a few bucks more, you can really wake it up with a chip....

also, that water pump is WAY more reliable now...the older cars you had to work about that. I had a 99 GTI, my wife had a 98 Beetle... mine had 65k and my wifes Beetle had almost 100k, NO major mechanical problems with either car (and these were first year run's). Now is the best time to buy - its the last year for the model run...all of the bugs are worked out as best they can. Its the first couple years of a model run that they have quirky problems.

However, if your biggest concern is reliability, you would have to go with the Honda. To me they are bland car's though... dime a dozen and nothing really makes me smile when I see one.

bansheeguy77
04-08-2005, 04:56 AM
its not that im wanting the car to last til 500k miles, i just want something to last me til 100k and i will be perfectly happy. thank you for your input, so nothing has ever gone wrong with your car? its a very hard decision for me because the gti has all the things i want, but the si for some reason seems to fit me better.

as for power i know the gti will dust it. the si is sorta like a banshee it has that very high rpm power. the si goes, but it just doesnt hit until late. both have very silky smooth trannys which i love. did you ever drive the si with the shifter out of the dash? i thought that would be the worst thing ever but it is very comfy and in the right place. the 06 gti's look good, but yeah like you said i would be a little cautious esp with a vw.

price is good on both. the gti they are knocking 700 off for me with 6.9 financing. the si they are going down 1500 at 3.9. which is good for me being it is in my own name and i have no credit, being i never had a loan or a credit card or anything.

im sure they will get mad when i take the si back tonight and not buy it. i told them i wanted to sleep on it so he said take it home and drive it to work then come back after work. but tomorrow im going to go give the gti its fair chance and give it a 2nd run. then probably make my decision sometime next week.

Syrus
04-08-2005, 02:28 PM
Get a SI Civic... you wont regret it. And if ur into modding, save up for a turbo, or take a turbo from a jetta or something else small that turbo'd and stick it on that civic, you have no idea how quick those lil cares are done up. Flame all you want, but my buddy has a 98 SI Turbo'd, B18a motor, aftermarket pistons, innercooler and much more, cant remember... but anyways the thing RIPS, we smoked a 5.0L Mustang GT the other night, and a Audi All road BiTurbo. Both got rapped on camera, ill try and upload them for ya :)

400EX_Kid_03
04-08-2005, 02:47 PM
GTI... also no questions asked! VW's are great cars. Own'd a 1994 Jetta myself, alot of fun to drive! And the newer GTI's are so damn sexy! IMO the SI's are nice, but they are just another Civic, and wow those are EVERYWHERE! I would say go with the GTI!

Butters
04-08-2005, 03:02 PM
you can't go wrong with either cars. i personally really like honda, but i have heard really good things about the GTI so i would say personal preference is going to be the key.

MOFO
04-08-2005, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Syrus
Get a SI Civic... you wont regret it. And if ur into modding, save up for a turbo, or take a turbo from a jetta or something else small that turbo'd and stick it on that civic, you have no idea how quick those lil cares are done up. Flame all you want, but my buddy has a 98 SI Turbo'd, B18a motor, aftermarket pistons, innercooler and much more, cant remember... but anyways the thing RIPS, we smoked a 5.0L Mustang GT the other night, and a Audi All road BiTurbo. Both got rapped on camera, ill try and upload them for ya :)

for the amount of money he sank into that car and the ones he raced, thats not much of an accomplishment at all actually... and that Audi all-road is 10x the car that civic will ever be. A GREAT car has more characteristics than just 0-60 times.... :rolleyes:

lets not turn this into a battle of car vs car...keep it on topic.

Syrus
04-09-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
for the amount of money he sank into that car and the ones he raced, thats not much of an accomplishment at all actually... and that Audi all-road is 10x the car that civic will ever be. A GREAT car has more characteristics than just 0-60 times.... :rolleyes:

lets not turn this into a battle of car vs car...keep it on topic.

lol... hes put a total of 10g's Canadian in that car, bought for 8g, and he smoked a 60,000 car ? i think that IS quite the accomplishment, but thanks for trying :)

BlueZ440
04-09-2005, 01:37 PM
I work at the service department for Lex,Toyo,VW,AUDI and I most say that VW are the last cars i would ever BUY..They are always in for something.. Honda is a good little car and they run forever...My 2 cents

bansheeguy77
04-09-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by BlueZ440
I work at the service department for Lex,Toyo,VW,AUDI and I most say that VW are the last cars i would ever BUY..They are always in for something.. Honda is a good little car and they run forever...My 2 cents

really? what are they in for? im gonna be buying within the next few days and was starting to get set on the vw. that is one of my main concerns. i just dont want to be nickle and dimed to death. normal wear and tear items are fine but other things are another story.

and mofo, your opinions are on a lower standard than the other members just because your a steelers fan :scary:
JK man....you are being very helpful and i thank you for that.

BlueZ440
04-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by bansheeguy77
really? what are they in for? im gonna be buying within the next few days and was starting to get set on the vw. that is one of my main concerns. i just dont want to be nickle and dimed to death. normal wear and tear items are fine but other things are another story.

and mofo, your opinions are on a lower standard than the other members just because your a steelers fan :scary:

Give me until Moday and I will ask them to give me a sheet of problems with the VW..So far I seen, motor,tranny,engine light sensor,PS rack..I will list more or will post the stuff that they give me.. Hey just remember it's all on what you like...They always come with warranty..

bansheeguy77
04-09-2005, 09:28 PM
Give me until Moday and I will ask them to give me a sheet of problems with the VW..So far I seen, motor,tranny,engine light sensor,PS rack..I will list more or will post the stuff that they give me.. Hey just remember it's all on what you like...They always come with warranty..

yep thats true. prob is when the warranty runs out. some ppl have been having probs with their heated seats catching fire i seen. only dirt i found on the si was most think it doesnt live up to its name. gotta keep searchin i guess.

LazeR
04-09-2005, 09:42 PM
GTI for sure..... those 1.8t motors are awesome....My friend has a vw passat with the 1.8t and it hauls! I've been 135mph with him down the freeway. They also handle abuse pretty well.....I have never rode with him when he hasnt slammed the rev limiter and he never shifts before redline but it still runs like a champ!!! Yeah hes an idiot with his car but i gotta admit its fun to ride with someone who abuses the crap outa there car lol

BlueZ440
04-09-2005, 09:46 PM
yep thats true. prob is when the warranty runs out. some ppl have been having probs with their heated seats catching fire i seen. only dirt i found on the si was most think it doesnt live up to its name. gotta keep searchin i guess.

Yep I forgot about the seat..LOL..This lady came in b*tchin about her as$ burning..:eek2: :D

frcfed4
04-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Honda's are overrated in my book. VW's are pretty good cars with a good amount of power. I like the way the tach looks in the VW's 2 if its still X100 instead of 1000. Personally i have a mazda and its the funniest thing ive ever drove. Wait and see if you can get a 06 mazdaspeed mazda6 those cars will be completely sick and u get the turbo also

SadisticShee
04-10-2005, 02:45 PM
I like Civic SIs. I was gonna get one before i bought what i got now. Fun cars to drive, and the Vtech really kicks in hard.

2001400ex
04-10-2005, 03:08 PM
GTi.

Chip, turbo-back exhaust, front mount, cold air intake - you'll be pushing VERY close to, if not more than 200FWHP (and over 250 ft/lbs pending on what chip you get.) Not to mention it looks a lot better than an Si...especially with molded eyelids...rawr.

Don't get REVO chip, it falls flat on its face over four grand. Get the APR chip, trust me.

MOFO
04-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Syrus
lol... hes put a total of 10g's Canadian in that car, bought for 8g, and he smoked a 60,000 car ? i think that IS quite the accomplishment, but thanks for trying :)

Ummm yea, and at the end of the day, he's driving a honda civic. Just about any cheap car out there can be made fast....

and when you say smoked, your just talking about basic "rice boy" street light racing...there is ALOT more to a car than 0-60 times....

hell, there is a video clip of a freakin moped taking a new WS6 Firehawk running NOS - I guess that moped is superior to the Firehawk using your logic.

thanks for trying... :rolleyes:

MOFO
04-10-2005, 04:38 PM

:mad:

LOL, no problem... if you do decide on the VW, let me know...

MOFO
04-10-2005, 04:41 PM

Ummmm, anyone can get a list of parts that have been replaced on a car...just like any car - you could get a lemon or get one that never see's a repair shop. Honda's are more reliable, but VW's are not that bad.... I've owned 3 and we are on our 4th right now... I guess we are just lucky not to have any major problems with them.

If you do have any problems, they usually show up within the warranty (4yrs/50k).

BlueZ440
04-10-2005, 05:55 PM
Ummmm, anyone can get a list of parts that have been replaced on a car...just like any car - you could get a lemon or get one that never see's a repair shop. Honda's are more reliable, but VW's are not that bad.... I've owned 3 and we are on our 4th right now... I guess we are just lucky not to have any major problems with them.

If you do have any problems, they usually show up within the warranty (4yrs/50k).

U must be one of the lucky ones..LMAO.. SO what happen to you 1st,2nd,and 3rd??:confused:

250R-Dee
04-10-2005, 06:02 PM
If you have questions about the Si you need to visit Honda-tech.com, clubsi.com or one of the other Honda related car forums. Upgrade parts for both the GTi an Si are plentiful so get the one that fits your immediate budget, will not cause you to mortgage your house when you start upgrading, fits your comfort needs and don't forget to factor in the THEFT RATES for both vehicles.

I own a boosted Honda Integra that has embarassed quite a few RX-7, Skyline, Supra, Lancer Evolution, Imprezza, S2000 owners on this tropical rock.

MOFO
04-10-2005, 06:57 PM
U must be one of the lucky ones..LMAO.. SO what happen to you 1st,2nd,and 3rd??:confused:

easy.... my first one 86 GTI (8v 5spd), I sold for my 99 GTI (2.0L 5spd - could not find a VR6 at the time)... got rid of the 99 GTI for my current truck (Chevy Z71) so I could pull my quad around... My wife had a 98 Beetle (2.0L auto) which we just traded in on a new 2004 GTI (1.8t 5spd) because she wanted more power and a GTI. Never got rid of a VW because of problems....and I'm not the only one that I know of that has owned several VW's with no major mechanical problems. A few close friends have had good luck with them...

however, just like ANY other car, there are horror story's.... I guess you just have to cross your fingers with any big purchase.

BlueZ440
04-10-2005, 07:55 PM
easy.... my first one 86 GTI (8v 5spd), I sold for my 99 GTI (2.0L 5spd - could not find a VR6 at the time)... got rid of the 99 GTI for my current truck (Chevy Z71) so I could pull my quad around... My wife had a 98 Beetle (2.0L auto) which we just traded in on a new 2004 GTI (1.8t 5spd) because she wanted more power and a GTI. Never got rid of a VW because of problems....and I'm not the only one that I know of that has owned several VW's with no major mechanical problems. A few close friends have had good luck with them...

however, just like ANY other car, there are horror story's.... I guess you just have to cross your fingers with any big purchase.

COOL:D

Syrus
04-10-2005, 08:49 PM
Ummm yea, and at the end of the day, he's driving a honda civic. Just about any cheap car out there can be made fast....

and when you say smoked, your just talking about basic "rice boy" street light racing...there is ALOT more to a car than 0-60 times....

hell, there is a video clip of a freakin moped taking a new WS6 Firehawk running NOS - I guess that moped is superior to the Firehawk using your logic.

thanks for trying... :rolleyes:

Do you argue about everything ? the kids 18, and got a car that will slap you outa the water, so just shut your mouth, and keep ur crap to yourself. I dont care about what u think about civics. Im simply telling this guy who wanted info on these 2 cars what a modded civic can do, is that ok with you SIR ? anything else u would like to add...