PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any trouble with thier parking brake?

turboTony
04-08-2005, 01:47 AM
Mine doesn't seem to work anymore...
I wouldn't really care if I didn't have the rekluse kit but it rolls even if it's in gear now.
I can hold it all the way forward by hand and still spin the rear wheels even with it up on the stand.

K-Dub
04-08-2005, 02:53 AM
I have had 3 honda sport bikes and yet to see one work. I had an 87 250X, 88 250R, and 04 450R. The one on the x would not hold but would jam up and make the brakes drag, ruined a rotor this way. So I run brake block off and do away with the whole system. I know this doesnt help you any , sorry.

jeepnrocks
04-08-2005, 08:45 AM
it probably needs adjusted but i just did away with mine. Having the rekluse though, you probably definitely want to keep the brake

pkb324
04-08-2005, 09:11 AM
omg they have parking brakes?!?!? oh im j/k i took mine off as soon as i got my quad..they are junk and never really work...im actually not really sure why honda puts em on cause they have never really worked

benwa450r
04-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Parking brake doesn't work because it is probably out of adjustment. It is a mechanical brake and as the pads wear down, parking brake needs to be adjusted. Just loosen lock nut and screw bolt in a little at a time. Too much and brake will always be on. Tighten back lock nut. Should work for you.

drider
04-08-2005, 01:03 PM
i dont know but my bros 450r parking break. locked up. the spring on the parking break wouldnt release. Wouldnt swing back. Had to step on the foot break. to release teh parking break. Lubed up the springs , seem better.. anyone else have this problem???

turboTony
04-08-2005, 03:49 PM
I have the adjustments ALL the way out on both ends of the cable and still won't grab. Pads are still good and foot lever works fine.
If I push the actuator all the way forward by hand, nothing happens. I can spin the rear tires with no resistance whatsoever. Is there anything inside that could've come undone? I've yet to pull off the cover to see whats in there.

turboTony
04-08-2005, 05:35 PM
Ok, my 9 1/2 fingered friend (haha) just called me and explained about the bolt as I was looking at it. I wasn't sure what you guys were talking about without actually seeing it. I'll mess around with it Sunday since I have to work all day tomorrow.
Thanks.

DirtDevilBT
04-09-2005, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by drider
i dont know but my bros 450r parking break. locked up. the spring on the parking break wouldnt release. Wouldnt swing back. Had to step on the foot break. to release teh parking break. Lubed up the springs , seem better.. anyone else have this problem???

Yeah, mine does that to. My parking brake works just fine other than that. All you people that take them off, I don't understand. How do you transport the bike. In gear, with straps? I dunno, a lot of the time I end up having to stand the quad up to fit the bikes in the truck. Without a P/B this wouldn't be possible. I just don't see the purpose in doing away with something you might need, at anytime. Spoiled trailer owners!:rolleyes:

AND IT'S CALLED A MANUAL PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hondaryder42
04-09-2005, 02:40 PM
the stock park brake on any sport bike is a "throw away part "
i however give the predator credit for having a hydrolic lock on the front brakes verses a cable like everyone else. cable brakes are or should be extinct. i would try to find a similar type setup if you really want to have a park brake.

just an idea

04-09-2005, 05:51 PM
the only reason a parking break ison ATV's is b/c govt law

trx450r05101
04-09-2005, 09:15 PM
mine wasnt even close in adjustment from the factory...adjusted and it worked fine..

4fiddyR
04-09-2005, 09:38 PM
Most people strap them down when we transport them, even in trailers.
:D

twisted threads
04-09-2005, 09:50 PM
My parking brake dont work any more because its gone.:D All you got to do is adjust it and it will start working once again but the parking brake will wear down you rear brakes really fast.:cool:

turboTony
04-10-2005, 12:29 AM
I got it working but now it sticks. I have to actually reach back there and pull it to get it to release. oh well, not like I'll use it very often anyway. Just glad it's there IF I need it.

pkb324
04-10-2005, 08:12 AM
why is it such a big deal to have... is it that bad just to put the quad into gear which in pretty much every instance works as good or better

turboTony
04-10-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by pkb324
why is it such a big deal to have... is it that bad just to put the quad into gear which in pretty much every instance works as good or better
Not in my case. I have an auto clutch.

DirtDevilBT
04-11-2005, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by pkb324

And what if you need to stand the bike up in your truck or trailer? What then, you going to put it in gear, take it out of gear to push, then put it back in gear for transport? Na thanks, but I am not God or anything, do what you wish.;)

:devil: