PDA

View Full Version : help with removing axle

bluebullie
04-08-2005, 12:04 AM
ok guys, im about to lose my mind........ i have spent the past 4 hours tryin to get that damn fat *** lock nut off the axle.... if try 1 more time and dont get it off im probably gonna shoot myself....................... please help, whats the best way to get that @#$&er off? thanks

bluebullie
04-08-2005, 12:09 AM
its so tight it wont loosen at all...

QuadRacer041
04-08-2005, 04:17 AM
a little more info would help. what kind of bike?what kind of nut?stock?aftermarket?

you know that they are left handed threads right?

TC426EX
04-08-2005, 07:26 AM
ahh, many many posts on this... Once you get it off, youve learned your lesson that you need to throw that stock locknut in the garbage right? 40 bucks will get you a good pinchbolt locknut from RAD that will make your life much easier and stress free.

As far as getting that P.O.S stock locknut off, youre gonna need a huge pipe/monkey wrench, a long pole to put on the end for leverage, and a couple peopple to sit on your bike and help you crank on it (at least I did). Its a jam nut, so you need to first turn the 2 nuts away from each other to be able to loosen the main nut. Once you get it loose enough, you want to spin it toward the brake rotor. This will expose the copper/brass ring that is inside the groove in the axle. Thats where the second fun part starts... Getting that ring out of the groove. Personally, I use a pair of needlenoses to spread it apart and move it off the end of the axle. Then youll be able to slide the whole locknut assembly off of the axle and promptly deposit it into the nearest garbage can. Slide off the rear rotor once you got the caliper unbolted and pull the axle out...

Colby@C&DRacing
04-08-2005, 08:32 AM
Honda's lock tight is some amazing stuff:D It is easier to heat the lock nut up which will loosen the cement that they use for lock tight

duke416ex
04-08-2005, 09:53 AM
Are you sure you are turning the right way, I always have to chase the threads with my fingers to be sure which way loosens.

bluebullie
04-08-2005, 11:04 AM
thanks guys, the problem is i've already taken the swingarm and all off the bike already, now im tryin to get the axle out of swingarm. i tried to heat it up but no luck...... any other ideas, and yes im turning it the right way. thanks guys

TC426EX
04-08-2005, 12:53 PM
wow man, youre gonna have a tough time if the swingarm is already off the bike...

duke416ex
04-08-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by TC426EX
wow man, youre gonna have a tough time if the swingarm is already off the bike...

That's for sure, try to find the right wrenches to fit the nuts and put pipes on them and turn them opposite, and soak it in penetrating oil. You might have to let it set and soak a while. Good luck.