PDA

View Full Version : MX setup

400exrider707
04-07-2005, 11:21 PM
Ok I'm just finishing up the 400 and getting ready for race season. I have a few questions. I will be installing the elka ZPS shocks with in the next week or so, and was wondering what the proper ride height is? Also where exactly on the frame do you measure from to set the ride height? Also I have skids on my quad but plan on taking them off for racing. Does anyone think that I should leave on any or all of them? Im only racing MX and SX. I thought maybe the swingarm skid, but I dont really think I need it. Thanks for any and all replies.

turnandburn
04-08-2005, 12:09 AM
I asume you are racing mx your ride hiegth should be 5-6 inches smooth track and probably 6-7 for rough. Rear should be set 1/2 inch lower than front. Your measuring points are rear directly under the pegs on the frame and the fornt at the part where the frame turns up. I run my full frame and swinger skid,the frame skid helps you not dig in as much if you case a jump and swinger could probably be removed if you want and a arm skid definatly remove them!

400exrider707
04-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Yeah I only have the chassis skid and swinger. Any one else want to chime in with any opinions. That 5-6 inch ride height seems low. Im not saying your wrong or anything but man dont you bottom your chassis out a lot? Ive also heard to run between 8 and 8.5 inches as well. Any one else. Thanks for the reply by the way.

MD450r
04-09-2005, 01:45 PM
I dont have a lot of experience with suspension but the manual that came with the elkas I bought recomended that for mx the frame height was to be set around eight inches.

Aaron

turnandburn
04-09-2005, 04:11 PM
no problem not offended, no i dont bottom out,do a search and check it out thier is a lot of forums on this topic. Good luck!

kyleschonert
04-09-2005, 05:46 PM
I suggest removing the swinger skid. When you land it can bump up and knock your chain off which can fling up and crack your case. It happened to me on my 300EX at an arena cross. I told one guy about it on another forum, and he rode it one race with it on, and threw his chain numerouse times, then he removed it, raced again, no prolbmes at all. If you were to race XC, now thats a diff. story.

400exrider707
04-09-2005, 11:53 PM
Yeah I dont think Im running any skids, I just wanted to see what everyone was running for ride height measured at the frame mostly. Thanks for the replies so far guys.