PDA

View Full Version : Need system help fast! (again)

drifterx
04-07-2005, 10:04 PM
Allright, i posted a while ago in the open section about this, and i've made some adjustments. Here's the link for my first post and info...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=154565&highlight=sound+system+help

Now, i replaced both fuse blocks, and checked all fuses for the whole truck. I then, reran all the speaker wire (from amps to speakers), and put new connectors on them, and made sure they were allright. My system works great now, thumping pretty good. But i noticed after i jabbed the brakes a little when a cat ran out in front of me, that the 6x9's and subs both went to static when i hit the brake. The only thing they fade with, is the brakes, everything else, or normal to light braking doesn't affect it at all. I jarred the brakes a few more times, to make sure... And yes, it does fade when i jab the brake on, but doesn't with anything else. The voltage readout on the cap seems to be steady at 13.5-14.5 volts too (might ditch the cap soon). Anyone know why this might be? I'm totally lost! :confused:

Thanks for all the help so far, I really appreciate it! ;)

duke416ex
04-08-2005, 08:18 AM
Where are your rca lines run, sounds like they might be close to an electric component on the brakes. That might be why they pick up static when you hit them hard. After reading the other post, did you make sure your remote wire out of the deck was good and that it wasn't grounded anywhere, also do you have good quality rca or cheap ones?

Scro
04-08-2005, 09:14 AM
where are you amps grounded at? It could be that you are ground somewhere near the rear taillights, thus causing it to only mess up when you hit the brake.

Scro
04-08-2005, 09:16 AM
also....the wires may be getting pinched by the brake pedal under the dash....idk...just thinkin about all the possiblities.

Alberta_Qaudin
04-08-2005, 09:50 AM
if there's a short anywhere in your wiring for your tail lights and its touching frame close to where your ground for your amp is, could that not cause it

drifterx
04-08-2005, 10:38 PM
Ya, i also just noticed that my voltage meter does drop from about 14.5 to 8.5 when i jab the brakes on, but jumps right back up when i let off. I have the amps grounded on the door sill, on the passenger side on my silverado.

P.S. thanks for all the help so far! :D I appreciate it!

crux131
04-08-2005, 11:11 PM
Could just need a better ground...lightly tapping the brakes may not cause the force to break the ground, but hitting them hard, might be enought to physically pull on the ground??

Make sure the ground is solid to the truck( possibly under the seat, ot to a seat bolt or seat belt bolt ) if drilling new holes is something you want to avoid. Also, keep the grounds as short as possible.

drifterx
04-09-2005, 08:04 AM
I never thought of the tailights. I do also have a trailer brake controller, maybe that could be it. I'll check that asap!

Also, my RCA's are brand new, good quality scosche's. I ran them along the passenger doorsill, spaced abut 3 inches from the power cable, but i'm going to rerun them to the other side sometime soon.

duke416ex
04-09-2005, 09:08 AM
Brake lights shouldn't be it, because they get the same current if you are lightly tapping or slamming. That brake box could be it though, just look at where the rcas run and make sure they aren't close to something they can draw static from. Like crux said, make the ground 18" or shorter.