PDA

View Full Version : 250r project for me?

Cvillecoldblood
04-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Im thinking about this cuz Ive seen guys make them for decent prices. Do you think I could put together a decent 250r myself for 2500 if I searched well enough? Afterwards I plan on making it better but I really want to do it. Should I? Can I do it for cheap?

bananas
04-08-2005, 06:47 AM
When you get a 250r for $2500.00 you might add 1 to 2 k... It g'oes up from there. Send more up front if you can. You won't be sorry. Try pricing out shocks, axle and front end, you could send 2 to 3 k just on that. Try to buy new shuff too, because you might be missin a few things when you put it together.
When you get 250r their is no stopping, my projest is over 3k now and it's killing me. I love my 250r but my wife hates it!!!!

zedicus00
04-08-2005, 07:16 AM
yeah, double or tripple what you originally plan on spending and you still prolly wont be close. ive spent 2 or 3 times more on my quad then what it cost me to buy my gf a new car and a wedding ring. but dont tell her that or she will hav my sack in a vice! just buy a frame and get what you want the first time. it may take longer to build it but in the end you will save money from not having to buy stuff twice.

Mitch_McComb
04-08-2005, 07:38 AM
I'm working on a project 250r currently.
It's a frame up restoration. All finished I've spent around $2000.
Everything on it isn't aftermarket, but it's a good solid running quad with new plastic and a coat of clean.

Thank goodness for Ebay!

wilkin250r
04-08-2005, 11:02 AM
Don't we all want a perfect 250r restoration for $2500?

It could probably be done, if you were very lucky. You might be able to find a 250r with a blown motor, basically a rolling chassis, for about $1500. Figure at least $800 for an engine, and another $200 easily in miscellaneous parts to get it running.

You might be able to do it for $2500, but it certainly won't be race-ready.

Cvillecoldblood
04-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Ive seen plenty of 250r engines even 265's go for around 400-500 bucks alone so thats not bad. Good condition frames for about 150-200. Even cheaper. No I dont want the whole thing completely aftermarket, and Im going to be trying to find deals on parts and a bunch of stuff, but I want to know if I can do this the right way before I even start. Mitch can you send me a picture of your 250r in PM or post it up.

wilkin250r
04-08-2005, 12:38 PM
If you're trying to do it piece-wise, you'll never get there. Sure, you'll get the big stuff, but the little things will eat you alive. You're better off trying to find a nearly-complete 250r to start with.

$500 for an engine, no problems.

$150 for a frame.

$75 for a swingarm

$30 for front shocks

$35 for a rear shock

$40 for A-arms.

$40 for a carburetor

You see where this is going? You still don't have hubs, brakes, bearing carrier, radiator, tie rods, ect. ect.

$50 for front spindles

$25 for rear hubs

$30 for rear brake caliper

$40 for both front brake calipers

$50 for bearing carrier

$40 for axle

$15 for rear brake rotor

$60 for radiator

See what I'm getting at? You're still missing the thumb throttle and cable, the airbox, the intake boot, chain, sprockets, brakelines, engine mounts, brake and clutch levers, brakelines, engine mounts, as well as the brake and clutch cables. Handlebars, steering stem (with bushings). You're gonna spend $1500 in parts $30 at a time. And then, you need the nuts, bolts to put it all together.

Trust me, try to find a rolling chassis or an old, busted 250r. You don't want a bare frame, and have to replace every single bearing, bracket, and cable on that quad.

Mitch_McComb
04-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Wilcin250R: Those are some pretty good prices.
I searched forever and couldn't find that good of a price for those items. I was getting everything for around a 30% markup from what you listed.

Cvillecoldblood: I've got a picture but it's not up to date. I spent just below 2K for everything. I'll take some more newer pictures soon.

http://www.predatorowners.com/memberphotos/predator/224/IMG_5300.jpg

wilkin250r
04-08-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Mitch_McComb
Wilcin250R: Those are some pretty good prices.
I searched forever and couldn't find that good of a price for those items. I was getting everything for around a 30% markup from what you listed.

You can find those prices, but it won't be on ebay. And, it will take a long time, because you're not going to find it all at once. It would probably take you three years to nickel-and-dime a 250r together from scratch with $2500.

My point is pretty simple. You can't just buy a frame and motor, and think that you're halfway there. All those little bits and pieces are going to be $10-$20 a piece, and they add up fast, and you need to account for all that stuff.

JTRtrx250r
04-08-2005, 03:34 PM
Its definitly possible to do it moderately cheap... if ya shop around

I started it w/ a bare frame... didnt even have paint haha

Im almost done w/ my 2nd R, got just under $500 into it (need harness and part of petcock),

75% of it was from the stuff Ive upgraded and already had, the rest came from a few good ppl and my killer bro 8dave3, the biggest savings was a 85 motor I traded for a set of speakers:devil: :cool:

Its not nothing special, and isnt perfect... but is a trx250r!

Parts/frames seem to be much more plentiful on the east coast...

I just saw an 86 atc250r locally for $500, something like that would be your motor and whole complete assend, everything is a direct fit, motors and swinger are the same

Good Luck if you decide to do so!

wcr400ex
04-08-2005, 05:30 PM
Buy an R for 3 grand put 3 grand into it and you have one hell of a quad for alot less money than a STOCK new 450

Cvillecoldblood
04-08-2005, 06:06 PM
Yeah wilkins I see what your getting at, thanks for the information.

If i do it I guess Ill just buy a decent 250r and work from there. Mitch did you start from scratch? If you did how long did it take you?

Mitch_McComb
04-08-2005, 06:17 PM
I started with a Frame that included the front end and steering stem and airbox. The rest I pieced together in three or four months. I would have taken more time and found better deals but with a new baby here I kinda rushed it a little.

TheFontMaster
04-08-2005, 10:17 PM
It is very posible to build a 250r from the frame up, and have it turn out very nice. All the little stuff isn't as hard to find as some people are saying. I started my 250r in november, and it's about a month from being done. I have just over 2600 into it now.

440-frame
1000-motor, wiering, carb, pipe
500-LSR chrome +2 a arms, and works tripple rates with remote rezzies
50-chrome stock sterring stem, and handle bar mounts
75-stock rear shock with a chrome spring
125-stock swingarm polished
30-carrier and rear caliper holder with good berrings
50- front hubs and rotors with good berrings
140-linkage, pivot bolt, 4 tie rod ends, and spindles
30-seat pan
75-radiator and various hoses
90-stainless bolt kit

Thats what I paid for my parts.

bens250ex
04-08-2005, 10:22 PM
i have spent less than 1500 on my 250r project...
200 for rollin frame, then i went from their with new bearings, paint, wiring,controls,engine,carb,and other stuff i came out good i only have about 100 dollers left of parts

TheFontMaster
04-08-2005, 10:25 PM
Now for some pics

Heres the frame when I first got it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/thefontmaster/image001.png

Here it is now with everything but the radiator on. The rear shock is off getting painted, and the pipe is back off getting polished.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/thefontmaster/Picture104.jpg

The front spings are going out to Pappy soon for P/C to match, heres another pic.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/thefontmaster/Picture105.jpg

And heres one of the pipe and swingarm.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/thefontmaster/Picture106.jpg

And the motor.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/thefontmaster/Picture099.jpg

E-ATV-Racing
04-09-2005, 09:14 AM
Don't for get shipping. Every time you buy a part you can basicly add in about 10 bucks for shipping.

I know a guy that is selling an R for $3000.00.

Go here and send him a PM. Tell him E-ATV-Racing sent you.
http://www.atvryde.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1726

Cvillecoldblood
04-09-2005, 05:07 PM
Well after I have seen all of these near done 250r's on this site and off, it seems like its easier then you say, wilkins. And Im pretty curious to do it, after seeing that you can get a whole front end for 500 bucks which is decent. Any more projects that any of you guys have done, it would be cool to see how much you payed and what you have on it. Pictures would help too.

wilkin250r
04-09-2005, 07:15 PM
If you've got connections, and can find places for cheap parts, it's possible. Trust me, it's going to be crucial to get as many parts as you can as a group. If you buy a radiator, try to get the hoses and mounting bolts with it. If you get a steering stem, try to also get the top mounts and bushings.

Keep us updated.

JTRtrx250r
04-09-2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
If you buy a radiator, try to get the hoses and mounting bolts with it. If you get a steering stem, try to also get the top mounts and bushings.

Keep us updated. ;) hes right, really helps things come along. Sometimes its the smaller things like tank mounts and petcock that can hold you up...so something like that.. you'd be best off finding a whole tank thats complete also....little things like that..

You can do pretty good just from the sites classifieds, along w/ a few others.

:cool:

Cvillecoldblood
04-18-2005, 10:00 PM
Alright guys I have a new question. The moneys comin in soon and Im considering just buying a 250r and modding it quite a bit. A big factor for me is going to be suspension. Can some of you tell me some deals you got and the prices you bought your aftermarket suspension for? Its probably going to be used and I want to get a set up for around 500-600 if I get the 250r and I wanna know if this is possible. Im talking maybe some LT works? or anything above that with some LT arms? Idk gimme some ideas. Thanks.

TheFontMaster
04-19-2005, 03:55 PM
I got my +2 LSR chrome a arms and works tripple rate with remote rezzies for 500, and those were standard travel. You could probably find a long travel shocks and a arms for 1 or 2 hundered more than what I got my set for.

crazyracer250r
04-24-2005, 12:47 PM
i have paid 2800 for my quad alone then put a 1000 dollar motor from esr on it new brakes shocks off ebay long travel front end axel handle bars powdercaoted the a arms and swing arm duncan bumper used plastic off my friend (fullbore ) and have just under 5000 spent on it and i pull holeshot on alot of 450s at the track i have just done what needed to be done to it and its bullet proof i have 6 250rs and wouldnt trade for the world im addicted to them ill buy a old junker and restore it and put it in my garage and let it set

Bender
04-27-2005, 05:21 AM
I really don't think it can be done that cheap. Most of these people that have done it for $2500 or less have good resourses and contacts. You got to know people. I've never seen a decent 250R engine on Ebay for $500 unless it was an air cooled ATC one. People gettin a complete rolling chasis for $200, thats got to be a very rare occurance and a beat pos. Most engines are going to start at $1000 for anything decent. A cheap chasis will be at least another 1k. As stated above, shipping and small parts alone will nickel and dime you. Plus are you doing all the work yourself or are you going to need some help, that will cost $$$ too. Wheels tires,shocks, etcc. New oem plastic (if you go that route) is over $800.Power coating is more money too.

Coyoteman
04-27-2005, 08:40 AM
I don't think you'll find a long travel front end for $500-$600. I have $1700 in front shocks and a-arms on my 250R project. I started this project thinking I would build one from scratch and have less than $2500 in it.......WRONG! I'm afraid to go through my reciepts and actually see how much I've spent, probably $5000, and needs another $1500-$2000 to be complete.
Like Wilkin250R said, the small stuff and shipping will eat you up, so listen to these guys, they are speaking from experience. If I were going to do another 250R project, I would start with a roller that needed restoring. Good Luck.

zedicus00
04-27-2005, 09:24 AM
if you dont mind taking yur time jus wait for good deals to come along. my thing is i want the BEST components but can only afford midlevel stuff, so i watch and wait and when i see a good deal i jump on it.... ive got 2500 tied up and dont even hav a rolling chassis yet.

JTRtrx250r
04-27-2005, 11:45 AM
some of you guys make it sound so difficult, 1 thing is of course a source, but if its something you want done by tomarrow... then yes its gonna cost you alot. I guess it helps having a R to ride and mess w/ while your at it, but I have WAY less into my project but I also took my time, still not done and could have been a million times but I got WAY too much overhead and a fam that of course comes 1st. W/o help from fellow R riders it might not be as close as it is... but its the timing and the sourse. Helps to be a cool guy too, ppl dont help @$$holes!;) If your real picky... it will also take you longer and you wont spend as much

Coyoteman
04-27-2005, 01:41 PM
The real difficulty is sticking with the plan of staying under a certain amount of $$$$. I started my project in December and could have been done already but the lure of a long travel suspension, ESR ignition, and big bore cylinder with port work is slowing down the build for lack of funds. It all depends on how extreme you want to go and whether or not you have something else to ride imo. I have another quad to ride and my R is gonna be like the "classic muscle car" that only comes out of the garage on nice days, so I in no hurry.