PDA

View Full Version : tt/flat track setup ?

drthrottle
04-07-2005, 09:25 PM
My first time to setup my 450r for flat track, and I could use all the suggestions available. I have bolted on: dual rate works front shocks ride height adjustable, gt thunder rear linkage/revalve w/lowering strut, sway bar, american racer 20" fronts and 18" rears. I have the frame clearance @ 4" front and back, is this too low? What about gearing? How much tire pressure front and back? I appreciate your input.

TRXDresh
04-07-2005, 09:35 PM
First off, where do you live in OK. I am a TT racer in the Tulsa area. I have been racing a TRX450r in TT since it came out.

4.0 inches is pretty low in the front. It will dive when you get on the brakes hard, and that is not the most desireable thing to have happening. Run stock gearing unless you go to a big track, then you might go to a 36 in the rear. Air pressure depends on track conditions, and your weight. I run anywhere from 5 to 14 in the rear, and 6 to 9 in the front. on a tacky track, you increase air pressure. When it starts getting slick, drop it a few pounds. The main thing is to playa round with the setup to find the one that fits you best. Godd luck. See you on the track maybe.

drthrottle
04-07-2005, 09:45 PM
I'm in tulsa. What do I need to raise the bike up to? Sounds like the tire pressures are similar to mx. I'd like to get this thing on a track pretty soon, maybe kellyville since they dozed over the track at xtremeworld. Do they run at the port anymore?

TRXDresh
04-07-2005, 10:00 PM
I don't know what we are all going to do this summer. There are some races in Arkansas and TX that we can go to. They have not ran at the port lately, but someone is going to have to do something, or we will all go crazy.

Do your shocks have a preload adjustment so you can adjust ride height? If your shocks are not at the top of the stroke, you can speed up your rebound to make the shocks extend fully.

drthrottle
04-07-2005, 10:14 PM
there's pre load adj. if there's not enough flattrack local, i'll put the mx setup back on, just want to expand my skills and compete.

iceracer65
04-08-2005, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by TRXDresh
First off, where do you live in OK. I am a TT racer in the Tulsa area. I have been racing a TRX450r in TT since it came out.

4.0 inches is pretty low in the front. It will dive when you get on the brakes hard, and that is not the most desireable thing to have happening. Run stock gearing unless you go to a big track, then you might go to a 36 in the rear. Air pressure depends on track conditions, and your weight. I run anywhere from 5 to 14 in the rear, and 6 to 9 in the front. on a tacky track, you increase air pressure. When it starts getting slick, drop it a few pounds. The main thing is to playa round with the setup to find the one that fits you best. Godd luck. See you on the track maybe.

true that...your height depends on your width. you have to find the balance.

i run alot more air pressure in the front...but its up to the rider.:devil:

this pile was good enough for 3rd in the 4 stroke A class at the gncTT in arkansas(with a little luck ;))...gotta ride'em:macho

http://bluegroovephotos.com/ATV_Photos/GNC_TT/Orrville/Practice/images/DSC_2740.jpg

http://bluegroovephotos.com/ATV_Photos/GNC_TT/Orrville/Practice/images/DSC_2745.jpg

http://forums.atvconnection.com/i/GalleryImages/51066/scan0003.jpg

rodenberg35
04-08-2005, 06:14 AM
I would only raise your front up to about 4 1/2 inches and leave the back at 4. also put a little pressure on the right side of your sway bar if you have scales you use them to set wieght.

drthrottle
04-08-2005, 02:23 PM
thanks for the info rodenberg. where r u going to be racing in the next little bit?

86atc250r
04-09-2005, 11:54 PM
There will be several TT races this summer in SW MO - only a few hrs from Tulsa -

http://www.ozarksatvraceway.com/

iceracer65
04-10-2005, 01:30 AM
the texas gncTT cant be far from tulsa...im gonna drive 14 hrs to get there... hope to see you there

TRXDresh
04-10-2005, 08:49 PM
4 hrs. You guys should go to the Arkansas national too. They are both awesome.