PDA

View Full Version : Scuba diving

McG300ex
04-07-2005, 09:13 PM
went scuba diving down in mexico and had a great time and one of my friends is certified already.
just wondering if any body is certified for scuba diving, i'm taking the class right now.

DeerNuts
04-07-2005, 09:24 PM
That sounds like a lot of fun.

how much do the classes cost and how long are they for?

Tommy 17
04-07-2005, 09:36 PM
i've been certified for a few years now... i go about 3 or 4 times a year...

its one of the coolest things on earth to be 80ft down or so and u look over at ur friend and they are snow white and look dead... you can't see light so they look white... you shine ur light on them and they look fine...

another cool thing i've done was we went down about 55ft to this school bus under teh water... we put a big container and filled it up with air... it trapped the air and we could go up under it and inot the container and talk to each other... it was like being in a small cave... a few pumps of air every min or so and u were good to go!

another fun trick is to put a hotdog on ur friends tank... fish will nearly murder him for it haha... they did it to me once not fun!

it cost alot of money... i think it was around 400$ to get ceritified... i don't own my own gear because its so expensive!

just wait till the part of training where they take u down about 20ft and while ur not looking they shut ur air off... u go to take a breath and all the sudden theres nothing! u wanna talk about freaking out... u have to dump ur weight belt and u surface almost immediately... just make sure u blow out or ur lungs will pop like a baloon!

McG300ex
04-07-2005, 09:42 PM
yea its like 400 with the class and fins nad u have to read this book.

Tommy 17
04-07-2005, 09:44 PM
did they make u watch the videos where it tells u how to escape a shark bite... talk about funny stuff...

what i got from the video was if u see jaws kiss ur :eek2: goodbye haha

i learned alot of stuff from it... i never knew it was possible to get water out of ur googles while u are underwater!

dopeyferree
04-08-2005, 09:59 AM
I have been a diver for about 10 years, Its another world down there. Nice and peaceful. Once you get into it and get a little experience you should try cave diving. That is my favorite, wreck diving and night diving are also really great. If you get into it you should consider buying all your gear except maybe a tank. I prefer to rent tanks so you dont have to deal with getting them inspected and tested. Let someone else take care of that.

wilkin250r
04-08-2005, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by dopeyferree
If you get into it you should consider buying all your gear except maybe a tank.

Because wearing somebody elses gear, like mask and fins, just kinda grosses me out. It's like wearing somebody else's underwear, it's just not right.

I went scuba diving in Hawaii, in Turtle Bay. For some reason I had imagine small turtles, so I was rather shocked when a 4ft shell came swimming underneath me.

ballisticpb
04-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by dopeyferree
If you get into it you should consider buying all your gear except maybe a tank. I prefer to rent tanks so you dont have to deal with getting them inspected and tested. Let someone else take care of that.

Tanks are not hard do work with. a $10 visual inspection a year and a $40 hydro every 5 years for steel and aluminium tanks and every 3 years for carbonfiber tanks. i would think that if you go diving more than once or twice a year it would be worth it.

Punk'd
04-08-2005, 02:01 PM
It looks like alot of fun but id be the dumbass to drop that thing out of my mouth and accidently drink some water:p

gratzracing24
04-08-2005, 02:21 PM
Ive been certified for 2 years now i think...ive only went twice and that was in the Grand Camyons and Aruba

87250rxrider
04-08-2005, 04:29 PM
i'm also in the process of getting certified... if anyone lives in CT or NY, or has been to long island sound... thats where i have to do my certification dives. i wish it was somewhere warm instead!

Tommy 17
04-08-2005, 06:33 PM
haha noooooo i have my own wet suit, fins, mask, etc...

i don't have a BC or tank! i rent those... its stupid for me to buy one because i am still growing so i'd need a new one every year...

McG300ex
04-13-2005, 09:28 PM
i'm going to do the class and the pool dives this weekend i'll let you know how i do

McG300ex
04-20-2005, 08:15 PM
well i passed the test and did the pool dives, all i have left is the 4 lake dives.

JTRtrx250r
04-20-2005, 11:16 PM
I got a couple buddys that are into it. They'll go out in the underwater parks around here. Its the murky Puget Sound so you need to have a dive light. They've told me some storys about how they'll find bottles and swim under the small boats fishing, then they'll fill up the bottles w/ air and they go shootin' up in the air at the surface. They found a pretty good size octipuss (sp) and it was sticking to them,trying to pull on everything. he said they were kind of freakin' out at first but it finally got the hint a left them alone haha, now that would be strange!:eek2: :D

I wanna get into it but I cant handle the pressure on my ears:(

250-R-250
04-21-2005, 12:02 AM
I have done it....It really is a different world like he said....You do have to be extra carefull and monitor things.....I wasnt certified nor did i use my gear i used a buddys....BTW...How much would all the gear cost.....I have a tank though?Just curieous

jonc623
04-21-2005, 11:23 AM
i have been cerified for about 12 years now and i used to go all the time when i lived in panama the "country not florida" and it was great i bought all my gear but tanks did my cert dives in the atlantic it was way cool