PDA

View Full Version : Hot header help fast

New450r
04-07-2005, 09:11 PM
I need help I went from a 182 main jet to a 190 and my pipe still gets red hot it runs real good but am afraid it is getting to hot in trails I have home made outerwhare air box and a full factory 4 exaust. It dose not backfire or anything any help would be nice

Curless #32
04-08-2005, 06:50 AM
When the choke is on or when idling for a while mine does the same thing. On the dyno mine shows that it is fine. When we did my buddy's Raptor it did the same thing. I think that the stainless steel has something to do with it.

chad502ex
04-08-2005, 08:01 AM
both of you should bump up your slow jet (pilot) one size. That'll keep your idle and slow range from being extra lean. Lean conditions cause headers to get hot and glow. Not a good thing.

hope this helps.

chad502ex.com

04-08-2005, 06:09 PM
all 450s do this (bikes and quads) not to worry;) i did notice that after i turned out my air screw in front of the carb 1/2 TURN IT doesn't glow so bad

chad502ex
04-08-2005, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by 911
all 450s do this (bikes and quads) not to worry;) i did notice that after i turned out my air screw in front of the carb 1/2 TURN IT doesn't glow so bad

:rolleyes:

turn'n in air fuel screw in help'd, huh?

nevermind,....

all 450's do not do this and is not suppose too either. if you see glowing header- here's your sign

it's kewl!

330R PowerValve
04-09-2005, 06:57 PM
I'll second that they all do that. I have two 450r's and one with a sparks pipe jetted with a 195 and a larger pilot. Also my buddy bought a new 450r this week and the pipe was glowing. Completely normal.

Originally posted by chad502ex
:rolleyes:

turn'n in air fuel screw in help'd, huh?

nevermind,....

all 450's do not do this and is not suppose too either. if you see glowing header- here's your sign

it's kewl!

ProConcept
04-09-2005, 10:57 PM
And ive seen tons of vids of race teams dynoing there F1 race car engines. Those headers looked like they were going to melt, you can't doubt that those motors are tuned perfectly and glowing headers are just going to happen.

400exredrider
04-10-2005, 12:31 AM
just dont touch it and youll be alright :D

Honda
04-12-2005, 12:40 AM
Mine Glows also.

I thought it may be from running her lean, but if I put the factory air box cover on she won't rev out. It will do the same with the stock exhaust tip in the muffler also. This would indicate to me that it runs rich if any of the above is performed.

I also checked the plug and it is the proper light brown, medium gray color, depending on which fuel I am running.

Wierd, only quad I have ever noticed to do this, and I have owned many.

glenfoto
04-12-2005, 01:16 AM
i second, third, fourth, and fifth that motion......

mine glows too.... acts as a night light during Glamis and Gordon's Well evenings... muahaaaa

shamisc
04-12-2005, 02:00 AM
Mine don't glow!:eek2: Is mine ABnormal?:confused: :devil:
It didn't glow completely stock, and it don't glow with the HRC kit and Dr.D!

JW450R1
04-17-2005, 04:46 AM
i would bump up the slow jet like chad said.i had a hmf full exhaust.same thing.called hmf a they said that was ok,but i couldn't beleive that.i went 1 size bigger in slow jet,and i was good.and alos i little more power too.

New450r
04-17-2005, 03:49 PM
I am going up a size or 2 on the pilot to see what it dose

chad502ex
04-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by New450r
I am going up a size or 2 on the pilot to see what it dose

one size should be enough

2004exrider
04-24-2005, 04:18 PM
ITS COMPLETELY NORMAL. my 400 is jetted perfect (42 pilot also) and it will still glow a little bit.

R3Concepts
04-24-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by 400exredrider
just dont touch it and youll be alright :D

By far the best answer.. My Sparks glows at the dunes when Im just crusing around, perfectly normal, any 4 stroke will boil and get hot if its not moving. But bigger pilot good also.

chad502ex
04-24-2005, 05:21 PM
i don't know how many times i have to say it is NOT NORMAL for a header to glow! If you want yours to continue to glow so be it, but a glowing header is a lean condition and lost of power.

hope this helps.

chad

R3Concepts
04-24-2005, 05:23 PM
And I dont know how many times I have to say, as the owner of a fab shop, that the stainless that they use for pipes is THIN and its going to glow when it gets hot.

chad502ex
04-24-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by R3Concepts426ex
And I dont know how many times I have to say, as the owner of a fab shop, that the stainless that they use for pipes is THIN and its going to glow when it gets hot.

ok so be it. you continue to run glowing and i'll use the dyno data saying that i'm dial in and not glowing. When you get 59rwhp let me know how hot your header is, ok? HONDAs new feature "NORMAL" glowing header LOL!

Nate Dogg #76
04-24-2005, 06:41 PM
I have a 450R with a Yoshimura TRS headpipe and silincer. The rest of the motor is stock including the air filter and jets. My headpipe absolutely does NOT glow! My friend is a certfied Honda mechanic, and he said my jets will be fine as long as I didn't change to a high flow airfilter or remove my lid. Yoshimura said the same thing when I called them.

400exredrider
04-24-2005, 08:10 PM
every stock 450 exhaust i have seen,,, right out of the crate has glown in the night hours,,, they do run a bit hot, but its really not going to affect your performance much

R3Concepts
04-24-2005, 08:24 PM
ok so be it. you continue to run glowing and i'll use the dyno data saying that i'm dial in and not glowing. When you get 59rwhp let me know how hot your header is, ok? HONDAs new feature "NORMAL" glowing header LOL!

Everyone forgets your such a bad*****. And I think we will take your little challange, we are in the process of building an ESR 480 with the help of Kenz Cycle Tech in AZ, who has a shop bike, a 495 stroker, stock valve/sprung YFZ that put out 60 on his dyno, with HCs, so our Honda should be pretty close with his flow bench work. By the way is your 530 gonna be at the 4 Stroke Wars next year, since its soooo stout?

400exredrider
04-24-2005, 08:28 PM
chads 530 is pretty bad a**,,,, but i wouldent like rebuilding it so often

R3Concepts
04-24-2005, 08:30 PM
No doubt, Ive seen it before, but its no 4 Stroke Wars bike.

chad502ex
04-25-2005, 06:26 AM
Everyone forgets your such a bad*****. And I think we will take your little challange, we are in the process of building an ESR 480 with the help of Kenz Cycle Tech in AZ, who has a shop bike, a 495 stroker, stock valve/sprung YFZ that put out 60 on his dyno, with HCs, so our Honda should be pretty close with his flow bench work. By the way is your 530 gonna be at the 4 Stroke Wars next year, since its soooo stout?

bad*****?

;). i'm pretty sure i'll be there

every secret isn't always told either. when you get over 65 let me know.

04-25-2005, 10:13 AM
mine glows too

330R PowerValve
04-25-2005, 05:27 PM
The exhaust temp is over 1000 degrees. Stainless pipe will glow at about 500-600. 10 HP or 100 HP it will glow. 48 stock pilot or 78 pilot it will glow. Call TC racing, balwin or whoever and ask them.

twisted threads
04-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by 330R PowerValve
The exhaust temp is over 1000 degrees. Stainless pipe will glow at about 500-600. 10 HP or 100 HP it will glow. 48 stock pilot or 78 pilot it will glow. Call TC racing, balwin or whoever and ask them.

I agree! I have a 190 main and a bigger pilot jet and my header still glows at night and the bike runs awsome.

R3Concepts
04-25-2005, 05:49 PM
how many times do i have to tell you guys that glowing headers is NOT normal!!! haha the masses have spoken chad

MR.BIG
04-25-2005, 06:19 PM
Mine has a glow to it at night to and mine runs perfect. Even if you change the pilot jet that is not going to change the pipe from getting red because pilot jet only controls idle to 1/4 throttle so if your riding at half throttle why would the pipe still be glowing?

chad502ex
04-26-2005, 06:30 AM
how many times do i have to tell you guys that glowing headers is NOT normal!!! haha the masses have spoken chad

and you have a fab shop? haha!

ok- ok it's normal. maybe then all the dyno graphs you'll see with a/f is way off (not), and i should adjust my setup to the absolute stock lean condition cause well everybody thinks it's normal. maybe if i do that my power will skyrocket towards 70hp instead of 60. can anyone that has a glowing header produce any power producing dyno graphs?

whatever,...

04-26-2005, 09:57 AM
and you have a fab shop? haha!

ok- ok it's normal. maybe then all the dyno graphs you'll see with a/f is way off (not), and i should adjust my setup to the absolute stock lean condition cause well everybody thinks it's normal. maybe if i do that my power will skyrocket towards 70hp instead of 60. can anyone that has a glowing header produce any power producing dyno graphs?

whatever,...

nothing against you, chad.....but why do you try to answer every questions with dyno charts and graphs?

chad502ex
04-26-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by force
nothing against you, chad.....but why do you try to answer every questions with dyno charts and graphs?

force, i use dyno charts and graphs as support to the answers to the questions. In other words, all I'm trying to say is that the dyno's contains data that can be used to understand these type of questions. If you strap a stock 450r to the dyno and measure a/f you'll undestand that the information i talk about is from extensive testing and not just hearsay. Everyone can believe what they want, I have no problem with that. It does not hurt my feelings in the least that ppl choose to ignore test results, that's their perogative. Some ppl get really heated when they see testing that discounts hearsay, and that's ok too. But there are ppl that are interested in seeing the data.

i think everyone agrees that HONDA sold a stock 450r off the showroom extremely lean. Com'on, the stock main is 118 and as a result the stock 450r runs superhot and has slight disavantage compared to a stock yfz. Think about it, what happens to ppl that install just a filter and their new jetting goes from 118 to 165 main. Isn't that proof enough that the stock machine is extremely lean? Isn't that proof enough that the kick starter kicks back through the right outer case because of lean condition? Ever thought of HONDA detuning a bit under yfz for a reason? Running a 400ex extremely lean and the result is that you end up replacing the sprag clutch every few months cause of the kickback through the crank due to detonation- same as kickback throught the 450r kickstarter ;)

look, i'm not here to swell my head cause frankly i know nobody here except handful, but when i interject into threads yes it will be with information through doing things that few are and with test data as backup. All i prefer to do is tell what i have learned and it is up to others to believe or not. But really, I have learned tuns of info from others too!!

So that being said about all the dyno graphs and plots, stay tuned,.... i'm sure within a few weeks your perspective might change a bit about dyno information ;)

hope this helps.
chad

R3Concepts
04-26-2005, 06:54 PM
What does my post have anything to do with me owning a fab shop? Anyway, all my point was is that the stainless steel that pipe makers use is very thin, thin wall material will show heat but will inturn heat up and cool off many many many times, with no ill affect. But I have to agree with the other post, that you seem to be about you all the time, some decent info, some not really, but thats why I mentioned the 4SW, youll find out if your 530 is as bad as you think it is, but I will say its not going to be an easy year in 06.

chad502ex
04-27-2005, 06:32 AM
who mentioned first about being an owner of fab shop? not me- i'm not selling anything here for money.

Isn't 4sw in Feb.? actually, it's funny u mention that,...
i'll be there and probally my 550RFI too!

R3Concepts
04-27-2005, 07:10 PM
I hope you got some dunes around there or at least a sand hill to test on, if not your gonna miss the setup by a mile...Also wasnt your bike runnin a stock swinger last time I saw a pic? Also with a 550 with fuel injection your going to have run 501+Open, since you have to be naturally aspirated in modified..last year the Kenz turbo Raptor took that class..But I imagine you and your bike will make a clean sweep. :D

chad502ex
04-28-2005, 06:14 AM
I hope you got some dunes around there or at least a sand hill to test on, if not your gonna miss the setup by a mile...Also wasnt your bike runnin a stock swinger last time I saw a pic? Also with a 550 with fuel injection your going to have run 501+Open, since you have to be naturally aspirated in modified..last year the Kenz turbo Raptor took that class..But I imagine you and your bike will make a clean sweep. :D

you are really trying to poke me a little more, aren't you? What gives with you? a naturally aspirated 43mm tapered fcr turbo with bottle is made for 450r's too! These bolt-ons can easily be installed. your talking like a craptor can't be beat.

Quite honestly, my friend and I have just been talking about changing this years trip from Thankgiving Glamis weekend to 4SW next Feb. We are still working out details cause it's almost a year away. you may be right about a chance that the 550 not sweeping or even placing- who knows right now, but hopefully you'll line up with me so I can whip your smart arse! ;) :cool:

BTW: is there any links you know of regarding the rules for 4SW?

shamisc
04-28-2005, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by shamisc
Mine don't glow!:eek2: Is mine ABnormal?:confused: :devil:
It didn't glow completely stock, and it don't glow with the HRC kit and Dr.D!

This is so funny, mine didn't glow at all until I installed the CRF cam!:( I guess I need to bump up the pilot!:confused:

chad502ex
04-28-2005, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by shamisc
This is so funny, mine didn't glow at all until I installed the CRF cam!:( I guess I need to bump up the pilot!:confused:

according to R3, that must mean your head pipe is thicker than everyone elses! LOL.:rolleyes:

R3Concepts
04-28-2005, 09:31 PM
Chad,
Ill line our little 480 up against your bike, I got nothing to prove. Ill im saying is that the 4 SW are a lot tougher then you think..And i highly doubt youd beat that raptor. Kenz Cycle knows his sh*t. If your bike doesnt have a swingarm thats at least +8 its going to wheelie, if you wheelie at the 4SW, youre done, just got beat. Also your bike has the to get through the whoops well. Thought about a tire selection yet? Atvfanatics.com is the officail site of 4SW. Go to the official results page under 4SW:4 and theres a bunch of finals videos.

86atc250r
04-28-2005, 09:54 PM
Never mind Chad - in his world he knows it all. After all, he did help with the 400ex that develops 70 Harley humbling ft/lbs of torque at 3200 RPM - can't argue with that.....

And yes, a glowing header is normal for a thin, stainless pipe like what the 450R's got (and what many aftermarket pipes are). And yes - mine (as well as every YFZ I've seen) also glow even when BONE STOCK after idling for only a very short time... I guess the manufacturers like warrantying engines by jetting their quads unsafely lean.

I like this quote from a BMW site:
"Invariably a supercharger salesman will point to the turbo and flatly state that when it is glowing red hot, it will melt everything under the hood. The problem is knowledge, not the turbo. Iron and steel begin to glow red at around 1100 F. The stock exhaust gas temperature is in excess of that, thus the stock exhaust manifold glows when the car is driven hard. No damage is done in the stock condition and none will be done by the turbo."

Oh yeah - good luck at 4SW Chad, I'm sure you'll be schooling most of the regulars & can you imagine how everyone will worship you then?

R3Concepts
04-28-2005, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
Never mind Chad - in his world he knows it all. After all, he did help with the 400ex that develops 70 Harley humbling ft/lbs of torque at 3200 RPM - can't argue with that.....

And yes, a glowing header is normal for a thin, stainless pipe like what the 450R's got (and what many aftermarket pipes are). And yes - mine (as well as every YFZ I've seen) also glow when BONE STOCK after idling for only a very short time... I guess the manufacturers like warrantying engines by jetting their quads unsafely lean.

Don't bother Chad, I already know what you've got to say about that.

Oh yeah - good luck at 4SW Chuck, I'm sure you'll be schooling most of the regulars & can you imagine how everyone will worship you then?

whos chuck?

86atc250r
04-28-2005, 10:06 PM
Sorry, another way to say "Chad" (long story) - I changed it ;)

R3Concepts
04-28-2005, 10:24 PM
my bad..none the less another fan though.:D

chad502ex
04-29-2005, 06:36 AM
Chad,
Ill line our little 480 up against your bike, I got nothing to prove. Ill im saying is that the 4 SW are a lot tougher then you think..And i highly doubt youd beat that raptor. Kenz Cycle knows his sh*t. If your bike doesnt have a swingarm thats at least +8 its going to wheelie, if you wheelie at the 4SW, youre done, just got beat. Also your bike has the to get through the whoops well. Thought about a tire selection yet? Atvfanatics.com is the officail site of 4SW. Go to the official results page under 4SW:4 and theres a bunch of finals videos.

R3,

OH! i hear ya- i know 4sw is all about being the best out there. Those guys have to be if they are going to continue to sell their products. Remember, I don't sell anything. The only reason why the 550 would enter is for fun! The drive from east coast to west coast would be for fun not for a stink'n trophy. If it weren't a challenge it wouldn't be fun, right? If you won easily it wouldn't be fun either. For me its for fun not for money or some fan base. get freeg'n real!

LOL, I'd hope you'd line your 480 up just for fun cause you have to know there would be no way! :macho

One other thing,.... you keep referring to my xc setup as though i don't have another setup for drag or dunes. I appreciate your observations, at least one fan is paying attention ;)

R3, and thanks for the link- those guys over there are really fanatics... wahhoooo!

Gabe,

two words to you (deek-head!)

R3Concepts
04-29-2005, 08:35 PM
Trust me im no fan..Id like to hear more about this drag setup you got though. Id probably loose anyway but who knows maybe youd miss a shift, but prob. not since well..your the best. And just to let you know, Olds. is 75% whoops, if you can get through the whoops you lose, wheelie you lose, dont have a light bike you lose, and since we race mx, we know how to get through the whoops, our bike wont wheelie, and we have a light bike.."So your sayin theres a chance" - great movie.

chad502ex
04-29-2005, 08:37 PM
Trust me im no fan..Id like to hear more about this drag setup you got though. Id probably loose anyway but who knows maybe youd miss a shift, but prob. not since well..your the best. And just to let you know, Olds. is 75% whoops, if you can get through the whoops you lose, wheelie you lose, dont have a light bike you lose, and since we race mx, we know how to get through the whoops, our bike wont wheelie, and we have a light bike.."So your sayin theres a chance" - great movie.

just saying that it'b fun trying,....

:D

R3Concepts
04-29-2005, 08:39 PM
Have FUN tellin us about your drag setup that you have.

chad502ex
04-29-2005, 08:47 PM
Have FUN tellin us about your drag setup that you have.

are you being a deek for a reason?

R3Concepts
04-29-2005, 08:53 PM
Im not trying to be, we just want to see what kind of drag setup you have..and the more you aviod it the less I think you may not have one like you say you do.

chad502ex
04-29-2005, 09:02 PM
Im not trying to be, we just want to see what kind of drag setup you have..and the more you aviod it the less I think you may not have one like you say you do.

well i can say it's nothing like this setup,......

i have dune tires and can remove my airbox, does that count?

;) :D

86atc250r
04-29-2005, 09:04 PM
Hmmm- cr5 with custom cylinder?

R3Concepts
04-29-2005, 09:08 PM
That a packard bike..250r bottom end, rotax jug

R3Concepts
04-29-2005, 09:09 PM
You dont have a swinger or nothing? Damn.. What are you gonna make your own paddles too?

chad502ex
04-29-2005, 09:10 PM
looks awesome,... but if there is no seat and the air filter falls off your nutz would get sucked into the top end of the engine...

hmmmm or/i mean ouch!

:D

chad502ex
04-29-2005, 09:13 PM
R3,

couldn't i run the 4sw 500+ modified class with no power adding turbo and my friend run the 500+ open with his efi-turbo?

kgbg
05-01-2005, 09:37 PM
Powervalve Rotax.
Chad, you can run 501+ mod if your on gasoline.Thats the calss I should be in as well.

Your buddy will be in the open class.
Manny Espino from Miami, and his GP 780 stroker Raptor wonthe King of the Hill, the 500+ builders class, and the 501+ mod class. He could have won the 501+ open class as well. He had a big ol NO2 bottle and never even had to use it.
The hill is NOT whooped during the event, they have a good grooming system. It was smooth as hell last year.

chad502ex
05-02-2005, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by kgbg
Powervalve Rotax.
Chad, you can run 501+ mod if your on gasoline.Thats the calss I should be in as well.

Your buddy will be in the open class.
Manny Espino from Miami, and his GP 780 stroker Raptor wonthe King of the Hill, the 500+ builders class, and the 501+ mod class. He could have won the 501+ open class as well. He had a big ol NO2 bottle and never even had to use it.
The hill is NOT whooped during the event, they have a good grooming system. It was smooth as hell last year.

thanks Kam. If we actually get to go, it should be a hoot!

Driving across country is out, so if we can't train or freight then no go. :confused:

hemp450r
01-10-2007, 12:16 PM
what are you going to do with chrome handlebar grips?

400exrider707
01-10-2007, 10:46 PM
Wow this thread went downhill fast.....

I will say that those of you experiencing the glowing of the pipe on a stock head pipe for a 450R are definitely lean.....haha

wykyd450R
01-11-2007, 03:26 AM
My buddy just bought a new 07 the other day, and his glows too. What should he do? :confused:

400exrider707
01-11-2007, 10:05 AM
Read the rest of the posts in this thread....the answer is already there.

awj8074
01-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by 400exredrider
just dont touch it and youll be alright :D :D my friend uses mine to light his cigarettes when we are out riding