PDA

View Full Version : Question about case machining

wvspeedfreak
04-07-2005, 07:23 PM
If you have your cases machined to accept a big bore cylinder is it possible to ever use a stock cylinder again?I think I already know the answer but I need someone more knowledgable than me to confirm it.:)

310ESR
04-07-2005, 08:28 PM
The dowels in the cases and barrel carry the load and alignment of the barrel. So if you machine the cases you are still good to go.
Good Luck!!!

pismoracer
04-08-2005, 09:18 AM
Yep will work but you will still need to cut your gaskets to match the m achined case. I had to do this just last night when i put my 250 jug back on after pulling my 350 jug off due to broken reeds and mared up piston.

wvspeedfreak
04-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the info guys :macho

xlr810
08-16-2005, 07:54 AM
Sorry about bringing up an old thread. This is the best I could find when I did a search.

My question is similar to the original... I'm putting together a motor that will be running a stock cylinder. The left case has been machined for a big bore cylinder. The right center case has not. Will it affect anything if I run them as they are on the stock cylinder?

Thanks.

zedicus00
08-16-2005, 09:57 AM
technically no but y not send the right case off and hav it machined out while its apart?? plus then if u ever need to sell the engine or ever want to upgrade u wont hafta mess with it then.

xlr810
08-16-2005, 10:09 AM
I have had problems in the past with base gaskets blowing out on me. The machined left case has less than half of the base gasket surface area remaining near the sleeve. That, and I don't forsee putting a 330 or bigger cylinder on it any time soon. It wil be a mutt of a motor, resale value will never equal what I have in it. But, that is what I was thinking, too. Now is as good a time as any to get it machined... Just wondering out loud if I NEED to machine it.

Thanks.