PDA

View Full Version : Loud knock at idle

asdf450r
04-07-2005, 04:14 PM
This might not be the right forum to be posting about this, but ill give it a shot. I have a 2001 suzuki LT 160 that is used around the ranch and typically as a bashing vehicle for myself and family/friends (holds up great). anyway, the other day i tore this thing down to check everything and took off the valve cover to check for wear and such, hardly any at all. So i threw it back together the next day and started her up (to make a long story short, battery was dead blah blah blah) and it was making a funny pinging noise at idle. Not loud, but audible from a few feet away. Note that it did not ping consistently, only once every second or two. and once the engine speed is increased at all, even the slightest bit, the noise goes away. Now i figured what the heck we had a family gathering easter sunday and my parents wanted me to have the 160 running so my family could putt around on it since my 450 has the clutch and is probably a little too powerful for my grandparents heh, so i ignored the noise and sped up the idle a little bit and it went away. Ran fine the whole time without a tick to be heard, so i let it sit for an hour or two while we said goodbye to everybody, then went back and tried to start it to put away, no go. turned the choke on, checked gas, checked for spark cap, the usual and turned it over and with a little luck the disgruntled little atv started and idled at a fast idle because the choke was on, so i kept it revved and got about 30 feet until it sputtered and died again, it was about 1030 by now so i said screw it and walked it back to the truck. the following morning i tried firing her up, and once again it hesitated but started, this time with a LOUD ping every revolution. once i up the engine speed the ping goes away altogether, but at a certain (low) rpm it just pings away. Almost sounds like a valve knocking, but if it was the knock it wouldnt go away, regardless of engine speed right? checked the spark gap, but thats about it so far. Maybe i just need to adjust the valves again. Anyone had this experience before?

Sorry for the long post everyone

2muchquad
04-07-2005, 08:01 PM
sounds to me your timing chain is shot,what your hearing is slap,you may have jumped time:(