PDA

View Full Version : help with exhaust re-packing!

400exJOE
05-13-2002, 04:35 PM
I took my silencer off (suupertrapp IDS2) to re-pack it. BUT,...I can't get the core out of it. There is a pipe about 6" long that goes from the header into the silencer, and it is stuck or siezed in te silencer. Because of that I can not remove the core. I tried everything from banging on it from outside the pipe and inside it too. Please help me! I feel dumb.:(

phatswinn
05-13-2002, 04:54 PM
ther was something on re-packin ur muffler in dirtwheels a couple months back

400exJOE
05-13-2002, 05:00 PM
yeah i saw that. It was on an E-series tho. I know what I have to do, but the pipe that does into the silencer is stuck in there and I can't get it out or the core. Thanks tho, JOE

NJ300ex
05-13-2002, 05:26 PM
I don't know how to fix it but when you put it back together coat the bolts or whatever holds it in with anti-sieze.

Red Rooster
05-13-2002, 05:33 PM
I'm not real shure what you're saying, but

-make shure you have all of the screws/rivets out. lol, (Like you don't already)

-put the midpipe (the pipe on the motor end of the silencer) in a vice and try to turn the silec=ncer body. Note- only do this if the silencer is round and not oval. (lol, duh)

-Lube it with a penatrating lubricant.

Hope this helps!

400exJOE
05-13-2002, 05:42 PM
unfortunatly I have tried all this already. it is like the end of the pipe expanded inside the silencer. I think I am just going to bring it into metal shop tomarrow or wednesday and see wht we can do. This is becoming a real pain in the a**.