PDA

View Full Version : Which piston to get???

PaperChazerz
04-07-2005, 10:41 AM
I was looking on getting a 13.8:1 for the R until i looked up a 12:1. But Im not sure which to get. I have the money for either and race fuel is not a problem, I can get alot of it. But i hear that the Hondas have trouble when you start to mod them. Im am also getting a stage 2 cam for it also. Which piston would be a better way to go? I dont want to change my rod for a better piston. Im leaning on a 13.8:1 for now until i read better things about the 12:1. thanks for the help
SEMA

RedRacer44
04-07-2005, 10:54 AM
The 13.8:1 is a great piston but it's only a 2-ring piston, going to sacrifice a little reliability but not much. I'm running the JE 13:1 piston with the Stage2 HotCam and man, it rips! The 13:1 is a 3-ring piston also, so not sacrificing much on reliability. I have had the piston for 4 months now and no problems yet. Easy to start, great power, etc. Just saying ya might wanna consider it also, but whatever ya think :D

I didnt have to change my rod or anything with the 13:1 either, which my buddies who have the 13.8:1 didnt change rods either and their motors are holding up fine.

I dont know much on the 12:1, lot of engine builders are using them in the big bore motors like NMotion, 4-Stroke Tech, etc.

Also, in your signature, I dont see anything about a pipe anywhere? You'll really want to get a full exhaust with these mods and if you go with the Stage 2 cam, I'd go back to the 14t front sprocket also but thats just from my experience. I ride MX 99% of the time so my type of riding might differ from yours.

depotman19
04-13-2005, 05:15 AM
Go with the 13.8 piston. four strokes love high compression. The more the marrier. The two ringer will offer less drag, being two rings instead of one. I have the 13.5 two ringer from Je and I have no probs.

Who told you modding hondas makes them unreliable. My honda is modded like crazy and I have no probs. Modding your honda can decrease the dependibility, but it all depends on how you take care of your quad

Jake.........

TRXDresh
04-13-2005, 08:28 AM
If you want top end, stay away fromt the 13.8. It creates a mountain at top dead center that inhibits flow. you want to go with a flat top piston. The most effiecent piston is one that has no dome. Think of the combustion event happening, then all that force sliding down the side of the mountain.

jeepnrocks
04-14-2005, 08:20 PM
i'm running the 13:1 with no problems what soever. the bike pulls like crazy all over the place