PDA

View Full Version : Seeking input on potential Quad purchse

pep
04-07-2005, 07:46 AM
Came across this TRX400EX on EBAY (item 4539774910) after the auction closed. Contacted the seller and his Min was not met & is still for sale. Appears to be cherry, but looks can be deceiving - what should I look for prior to purchase? What would be a fair price? He's in Pennsylvania, I'm in CA - any registration issues - e.g.; Green sticker gotcha's?

BTW, great site w/lot's of valueable info for the rookie. I'm an older gentleman who is entering the sport thanks to my neighbor taking my two boy's and I to Pismo Beach for a day of riding his Quads - now I'm hooked. Any suggestions/guidance would be appreciated ...

Vehicle Description

Up for auction is a 1999 Honda 400EX with well over $14,000 invested into it. This is a 1 of a kind quad, its absolutley stunning. Modifications include Lonestar fully adjustable chrome +2 A-arms with removeable ball joints and grease fittings, Lonestar +1 chrome swing-arm, Lonestar +1 height +1 foward chrome steering stem, Lonestar +2 chrome axle, Lonestar dual bearing carrier and locknut, Lonestar billet parking brake block off, PRM swing-arm and full body aluminum skid plates, Steel braided brake lines, Duncan Racing chrome front bumper, Ohlins fully adjustable front and rear resavoir shocks....the rear also has adjustable compression and rebound, Pingray oversized aluminum oil tank and air box, OMF aluminum shrouds and custom billet seat latch, billet aluminum bead lock wheels with custom lug nuts, ITP XCT tires, Magura fully adjustable hydraulic clutch with steel braided line, Speedline aftermarket rear brake rotor, Renthal sprockets, DID X-Ring chain, SPeed billet chain guard, One Industries graphics and seat cover, Graydon Pro-Line polished aluminum nerf bars(not pictured), Pro-Taper Bars, powder coated frame and foot pegs. Engine mods include an IMS 440cc kit, TC cam, the head work and engine porting were done by the same person that ported Travis Pastrana's bikes before he landed a factory deal with Suzuki...unbelievable port work, the nicest i've ever seen by far, White Brothers clutch springs, Full White Brothers E-Series exhaust, White Brothers rev box. The quad has loads of torque, it pulls hard from the bottom end to the top, very very fast. The suspension is awesome, it rides like a caddy.....so much travel, the handling is out of this world. It has never been raced, beaten, or abused, it was always washed after every ride. The oil and filter were changed every 3 rides since it was puschased new. It has always been kept in a heated garage since new, its been sitting there for about the last 2 years. I hate to sell it but I dont really have the time to ride anymore, it would make a great quad for someone that does have the time to ride. Its in perfect condition. The reserve is set very low for what is invested into it. I'd also be interested in trading the quad for a 2002 and up Arctic Cat Snow-Pro sled 440cc and up. I had it listed on Ebay a week ago but someone broke into my account and ended all my auctions, thats why its being re-listed. Dont miss your chance to own a 1 of a kind quad. My pictures always show up fuzzy on Ebay so if you need clearer more detailed pictures just let me know, I'll e-mail them to you. I can ship it anywhere in the US. My local Honda dealer will be handling the crating and shipment of the quad. The winning bidder can also pick it up at my home if he/she likes. I have the title in hand so there will be no finance issue's or banks to deal with. A $500.00 deposit is required within 48 hours after the auction has ended, with the rest of balance to be paid within 7 days.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enlarge this picture Select a picture

CaliLifeStyle
04-07-2005, 09:23 AM
I would say leave Ebay alone. Too many people scamming in the past and I don't know if it's been fixed. Look in the local cycle trader or something. Never buy something that expensive without being able to look at it. That's my two cents.

khen
04-07-2005, 02:03 PM
WOW! That's a nice EX! As far as value, it's really hard to say.. If it's in good overall shape I would pay in the area of 4k-4.5k if it's in great shape(like new) I would pay as much as 5k or MAYBE 5.5k for it.

The biggest consideration for me would be that you could get a brand new 450R for as little as $5500.. The 440EX has a lot of aftermarket parts on it, but whether you could benefit from the upgraded parts depends on where/how you plan on riding it. It definitly is unique and has a 'WOW' factor to it..

BTW: welcome to atvriders.

enduro400rider
04-07-2005, 03:05 PM
i wouldnt get the one in PA if your in california thats pretty far to drive to pick it up and if you would have it shipped thats lots of $
if you live in CA you should beable to find lots of bikes closer to you and you can personally check them out. california is loaded with ATVs. look around more locally find a good 400ex or 450r . and the thing ware it says never beaten raced or abused is kinda hard to beleive. who puts $15K into a bike and and doesnt race it or ride it hard

Joe400ex
04-07-2005, 03:23 PM
damn that thing is awseam its a very very good prive i would pay 5k easy

pep
04-08-2005, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the advice. I too have reservations. Haven't rec'd a reply - we'll see where it goes...

400exredrider
04-08-2005, 08:50 AM
considering your all the way across the US from him i wouldent do it unless you wanna play huge bucks for shipping

huffdaddy_400EX
04-09-2005, 06:00 PM
I got my quad of ebay 2 years ago for a great deal...but I asked a lot of questions and saw it first. The downside is that if it not currently, or has never been, registered in CA you will have to pay tax and license on it. I had to cut a check to the DMV for $350. Plus make sure you have all the correct paper work (Title or certificate of orgin from the state you purchased it from)...and in addition to that the DMV may ask for a bill of sale. And...lastly...you will need to take it with you to the DMV so that they can inspect it and match all the numbers.

It was a pain in the butt..but I got it done and got my green sticker.

Keep looking locally.

Have you tried craiglist.org?