PDA

View Full Version : Friend dies in quad wreck.

JR3
04-06-2005, 03:18 PM
Well i dont really know what to say or how to feel right now but my friend Brian just died in a quad wreck heres the story.

ATV crash claims life of man, 21

Published in the Ocean County Observer 04/06/05
By HELEN E. FITZSIMMONS
and CHRIS LUNDY
Staff Writers

OCEAN GATE -- Family and friends are mourning a 21-year-old borough resident who died Monday after being thrown from an all-terrain vehicle in a collision.
Brian Dempsey of Longport Avenue was heading southbound on Anglesea Avenue just after 8 p.m. when his ATV quad collided with the side of a Plymouth Voyager at the intersection of East Bayview Avenue, police said. The van was driven by John Urbanski, 33, of Avalon Avenue in Bayville.

Dempsey's mother, Janine Dempsey, said she was one of the first people on the scene. She said she knew he was dead when she saw his head injury.

She said she appreciated the efforts of Ocean Gate First Aid Squad in continuing life-saving efforts in spite of it being a losing battle.

Patrolman Jason Marles and Sgt. Reece Fischer responded to the scene. Marles administered first aid and called for paramedics, police said.

The squad took Dempsey to Jersey Shore University Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 9:35 p.m., police said.

Janine Dempsey said the officer who spoke with her was possibly the nicest police officer in Ocean Gate. She also said she doesn't blame Urbanski, who was very shaken by the incident.

For Dempsey, riding represented freedom, his mother said.

"He lived for life," she said.

He had worked hard to afford the ATV, Janine Dempsey said. He was a contractor, building decks and doing other handiwork.

He rode it whenever he could, especially in heavy snow. "He prayed for a state of emergency," Janine Dempsey said.

"He was the best son any mother could ever ask for. He was there for me when I needed him," Janine Dempsey said.

There is a cross on the corner where he died, and the memorial is growing as loved ones leave flowers and other mementos, Janine Dempsey said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Other remembrances were held last night in several locations, where his many friends were telling uplifting stories about him and the way he touched their lives, Janine Dempsey said.
Friends also dropped by the house to offer condolences and leave gifts.

"He never said a bad thing about anybody," said friend Jessica Winton of Bayville. She was dropping off flowers at his home yesterday.

Winton and another friend, Ken Ledoux of Bayville, said Dempsey was always outside, finding an outdoor sport to do in any weather.

Brian Dempsey had a camping trip scheduled, and loved all outdoor sports, Winton said. He would always offer ATV rides to friends.

Riding all-terrain vehicles was his greatest love, Ledoux said.

"Unfortunately, it took his life," Ledoux said.

"He was a good kid. He had his whole life ahead of him," Ledoux said.

Neighbor April Enright said he was a kind person who was always nice to her kids.

Brian Dempsey brought bricks and other supplies and helped her build her driveway without even being asked, Enright said.

Since Brian Dempsey graduated from Central Regional High School in 2002, he still had friends there, principal Bruce Orsino said.

Several distraught students and a teacher who knew him spoke to guidance counselors, Orsino said. Faculty were on alert to direct grieving students to the counselors.

Orsino said Dempsey was an outgoing student that was well-liked by peers and staff.

"He was always smiling, always willing to say 'hello,' " Orsino said.

Family will receive friends tomorrow from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Timothy E. Ryan Home for Funerals O'Connell Chapel on Route 9 in Bayville. Funeral services will be at the funeral home 10 a.m. on Friday.

The crash is being investigated by the Ocean Gate Police Department and Sgt. John Mount of the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office Fatal Accident Support Team.

No charges have been filed in connection with the crash.

R.I.P. Brian

Bush0102
04-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Wow man, I am so sorry. I hate losing close friends. He and his family are in my prayers.

kick
04-06-2005, 03:22 PM
:( God bless.

JDiablo
04-06-2005, 03:30 PM
my prays go out,RIP

bulkdriverlp
04-06-2005, 03:46 PM
so he was riding in the street without a helmet on??

r.i.p. brian

LuckyOxygen
04-06-2005, 04:09 PM
Sad to hear man

04-06-2005, 04:11 PM
sorry to hear that...this prob. doesn't look good for you new jersey people trying to get more riding land

muddy400EX
04-06-2005, 04:32 PM
wow, that really sucks:( atleast he died doing what he loves

Aceman
04-06-2005, 05:58 PM
His life was cut way short.....doing what? Riding illegally in the dark on a street. I'm sorry but that is just irresponsible. Was he even wearing a helmet....doesn't sound like it. Add one more statistic to the war on atv's.

Fordtrucker17
04-06-2005, 06:13 PM
hey man sorry to hear............... wut kind of quad did he have if u dont mind me asking

04-06-2005, 06:15 PM
You might wanna keep a comment like that to yourself Aceman. It's certainly not a time for it. Have a little sympathy for the guy. Yeah, maybe he messed up a little but i dont think this is the place to point it out. I feel sorry for the guy and his family. I hope the best for his family and friends.

Aceman
04-06-2005, 06:18 PM
This is an open forum where you post your own opinion. Maybe I was just the one that said what everyone else was thinking and maybe it was a little harsh. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

Warnerade
04-06-2005, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
This is an open forum where you post your own opinion. Maybe I was just the one that said what everyone else was thinking and maybe it was a little harsh. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. dispite if everyone was thinking that, and dispite whether or not this is the open forum. It is not the right place and time for this.

04-06-2005, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by NacsRacer027
dispite if everyone was thinking that, and dispite whether or not this is the open forum. It is not the right place and time for this. is this maturity? *despite* ;)

wheeltrax
04-06-2005, 06:38 PM
im sorry man, that sucks.

JR3
04-06-2005, 06:43 PM
Thanks for all the prayers and everything guys he had a kfx with like everything he was suppose to start racing with us this year.

250xridamatt
04-06-2005, 06:44 PM
My neighbor died the exact same way. He was riding on the back of a quad, got hit, and flew 70 feet into a field. The guy riding just had a broken bone or two.

gyt-r450
04-06-2005, 07:07 PM
i am so sorry to here about your buddy R.I.P

bama400ex
04-06-2005, 07:31 PM
:( sorry about your loss man.

dpizz450
04-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by gyt-r450
i am so sorry to here about your buddy R.I.P

ny300exrider
04-06-2005, 07:36 PM
was this your friend with the white kfx that you guys had been working on alot? im really sorry man my prayers go out to you. its really tough but you will make it through

Syrus
04-06-2005, 08:11 PM
Man... i know how you feel, my friend died about a month ago in a snowmobile crash, exact same way as ur friend. He was coming home with a chick on the back, and came around a corner doing about 60 and collided with the back of a car, that was parked on the back road. You never expect a car to be there. He died instantly... or not to long after. It broke everyone heart at school. Never seen something so shocking he was a guy that you never expected to die... he was just so funny and made everyone laugh, and talked to everyone he could. So when this happend, my entire highschool was mourning (sp) for about 2 weeks, it was a huge impact. RIP Johnny Marshall.

Anyhow, wat im trying to say is I understand how you feel, and im really sorry. From what ive learned, you need to remember everything funny your friend did, what he was like, and the life he lived. Never forget.

400ex28
04-06-2005, 08:57 PM
sorry to hear bro :( R.I.P BRIAN

04-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Syrus
Man... i know how you feel, my friend died about a month ago in a snowmobile crash, exact same way as ur friend. He was coming home with a chick on the back, and came around a corner doing about 60 and collided with the back of a car, that was parked on the back road. You never expect a car to be there. He died instantly... or not to long after. It broke everyone heart at school. Never seen something so shocking he was a guy that you never expected to die... he was just so funny and made everyone laugh, and talked to everyone he could. So when this happend, my entire highschool was mourning (sp) for about 2 weeks, it was a huge impact. RIP Johnny Marshall.

Anyhow, wat im trying to say is I understand how you feel, and im really sorry. From what ive learned, you need to remember everything funny your friend did, what he was like, and the life he lived. Never forget. what happened to the girl on the back?

HtFoxChick
04-06-2005, 09:29 PM
:(

Mxjunkie
04-06-2005, 09:38 PM
Damn Jr, It wasnt to long ago me and you were talking about his bike and you guys were wrenching on it! He was a talented rider from the vids you have sent me, it sucks that a rider had to go.

Just think of it as this, He died just as idian larry and other fallen riders, the wind in his face, and doing what he loved, But it can be taken from you fast.

I just hope this shows kids and people, dont ride on roads, wear helmets. They dont make these laws and rules just because they can.

R.I.P Brian, hell save us some room to ride up there :)

Cody_300ex
04-06-2005, 10:14 PM
That sucks man, I couldnt image losing one of my close friends. RIP :(

JR3
04-07-2005, 04:06 AM
Nope it wasnt him it was another kid with a green kfx i dont know if i have any pics of him. he was a good guy when i had the 250 hed always let me ride his kfx and always offer help etc. the part that just weirds me out is i saw him the night before he died

duke416ex
04-07-2005, 07:24 AM
Sorry to hear it man

MSL
04-07-2005, 08:29 AM
Sad to hear:( R.I.P

300ex13
04-07-2005, 09:28 AM
hey man this is something you will never forget..."That which does not kill us only makes us stronger" -? hopefully you can look back and have great memories about him.....his families in my prayers

JR3
04-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Yea i have a lot of good memories. We went to the spot he was hit yesterday its nice to see everyones flowers and pictures but there was still blood on the road.

Tom TRX250R
04-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Thats very sad man, I am sorry to hear that. I also know how it feels to lose a friend, I had a friend in high school get hit by a train.

RIP Brian:(

raptorman2001
04-07-2005, 09:21 PM
HEy man i very sorry to hear bout your friend all my prayer and hopes go out to you and his family!

R.I.P Brian

figair
04-09-2005, 08:40 PM
Sorry to hear about that,hell be in my prayers...:(

04-09-2005, 08:58 PM
:( RIP

jeepnrocks
04-09-2005, 09:14 PM
very sorry for your loss.yourself, his family and friends will be in my prayers. it's just gives me a sick feeling when things like this happen. once again, Im very sorry for your loss. god bless
mike

red33quad
04-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Sorry about your buddy . Everyone has done it , maybe this post might make people think before they jump on for a quik ride without a helmet.

R.I.P.

haircutt
04-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Yeah sorry for the loss we will be praying for you and him also the family. Where me and all my friends ride at you have to take some back roads to get there about 3 miles and is a straight where you can take your quad to the redline i have also seen people blow there motors there. Anyway on both ends of it there are sharp curves. I am 22 and my friends are around the same age and they are alot of place on the lake bottom and woods out the to drag race but because they are house there and you can see it from the 4-lane highway above. All the young riders want to race out there just to be seen and alot of them do it with out a helmet I no something like that will happen here next. Then all the cops will not let us ride on the road over to there.

haircutt
04-09-2005, 09:46 PM
To ride in the woods

Punk'd
04-09-2005, 10:05 PM
RIP:(

Disaster
04-09-2005, 11:41 PM
Never wanna hear im sorry bro...

Nausty
04-10-2005, 11:36 AM
sorry to hear about that.

I know what its like my cousin was killed last year in an atv accident. If you wanna talk about it just hit me up a pm and we'll talk on msn.:(

05-08-2005, 04:30 PM
sorry to hear this
i live in oceon county and a bunch of my friends ride their off road vehicles in the street all the time,i hate it when they do it cus its soo dangerous.

Ruby Soho
05-08-2005, 04:37 PM
:( Sorry man

that really sucks

TRX_450
05-08-2005, 04:46 PM
sorry to hear man...his family is in my prayers

Joe400ex
05-12-2005, 12:15 PM
R.I.P

born-2-race
05-12-2005, 03:58 PM
He went way too young :(

RIP

Jackie
05-12-2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
His life was cut way short.....doing what? Riding illegally in the dark on a street. I'm sorry but that is just irresponsible. Was he even wearing a helmet....doesn't sound like it. Add one more statistic to the war on atv's.

My thoughts of sympathy go out to his family and friends

It’s a shame when something like this could have been avoided.
There is - the difference between an "incident" and an “accident”.

That’s when you want to just go up to the loved one in the casket and slap the crap out of them; useless deaths are such a crying shame.

Play safe
Ride safe
:(